Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i just bought a 2001 ford Taurus sel with the 24 valve engine
it has 26000 miles on it very nice
what should i look for in Maintenance and Repair at this time?
it runs great also what gaz grade should i use?
what is the name and size of my engine?
and what mods (cheap ) can be made for a few more Hps?

this is my first Ford Card i always had Chevy and oldsmobiles. time to throw away my Jeff Gordon Hat and by a Kurt Busch one

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
with 26k miles u shouldnt have to do any maintnence really, just make sure the air filter is clean, maybe get a K&N panel filter ($40-50) for improved airflow. maybe change the plugs and wires for better ones. u could get a transmission cooler for about $40-60 and that will help your tranny last longer and run cooler. i believe the car is programed to use 89 octaine fuel, 93 makes it run a lil better, but offers no performance gains unless u get a chip programmed ($200-300). dont go for those cheapo ebay ones for $20, those arent chips, just something to fool ur engine, dont really work. ur engine is a Duratech 3.0L. which should have 200hp at the crank. exhaust is a good place to start on that motor. better sound and performance. when my brother had his 98 duratec, he ran a 15.8 1/4 mile basically stock. so with a few mods, those duratecs have been shown to go fast

good luck, have fun

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
My 2002 SEL ran a [email protected] in 1/4 mile pretty much stock, it got 11k miles on it now.

OOOOPS....almost forgot,

WELCOME to the TCCA, your new addiction.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok great ,thanks for the info ill start with k&n filter maybe exaust soon
i've read there was a recall on the brake pedal lights has anyone else herd of this?

G

·
my book says 87 grade fuel for my 2000 SEL Duratec, most engines perform better and get better gas mileage and less of a knock(some cars including my moms (Cadillac 32 valve Northstar V8 Beast of an engine!300hp).

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
My 2001 SEL also takes 87 octane. Search for intake silencer, that's an FREE mod, and easy to do. Start saving for your 30k maintenance, which is listed in the owners manual if you obtained one with the car. You have a 3.0L Duratec Engine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Originally posted by sameboy@Jun 17 2004, 01:54 PM
ok great ,thanks for the info ill start with k&n filter maybe exaust soon
i've read there was a recall on the brake pedal lights has anyone else herd of this?
I got a letter for the brake pedal light switch recall, but I replaced the switch probably a month before. But there is a recall on the switch, and possibily the wiring (I don't know about that one).

As for the K&N that you are wanting to put in, in my owners manual on my 00 Sable with the Duratec, it says in big letters, "DO NOT USE OIL IMPREGNATED AIR FILTER." Now, I ran a K&N in my 94 Taurus, and I run an Amsoil filter in my 98 Ranger (out of warranty), but I have hesitated to do so in my 00 Sable. I am not against using oil impregnated filters, but I am under warranty and really don't want to give any reason to have it revoked/denied. As far as I am concerned, if the owners manual explicitly says not to do something, I am not going to do it. If you have any warranty left, you may want to think about this.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Originally posted by SilverKnight@Jun 17 2004, 07:56 AM
with 26k miles u shouldnt have to do any maintnence really, just make sure the air filter is clean, maybe get a K&N panel filter ($40-50) for improved airflow. maybe change the plugs and wires for better ones. u could get a transmission cooler for about $40-60 and that will help your tranny last longer and run cooler. i believe the car is programed to use 89 octaine fuel, 93 makes it run a lil better, but offers no performance gains unless u get a chip programmed ($200-300). dont go for those cheapo ebay ones for $20, those arent chips, just something to fool ur engine, dont really work. ur engine is a Duratech 3.0L. which should have 200hp at the crank. exhaust is a good place to start on that motor. better sound and performance. when my brother had his 98 duratec, he ran a 15.8 1/4 mile basically stock. so with a few mods, those duratecs have been shown to go fast

good luck, have fun
I really wouldn't worry about changing the plugs or the wires unless you have the check engine light come on and codes point to a tune up. Ford says you should get 100k before you need to change them but some here have replaced them around 75k and report better performance. No need to run 89 unless you have a knock Ford recomends 87 octane regular gas. I run 85 octane here in the Rockies and have no problems. The main expense you will run into soon is as others have said the 30k maintenance. You will need to do a tranny flush which costs some $ for others to do or there is a writeup or do a search on the how to. The tranny flush is the most important item for sure .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
found a problem today the A/C (heater)blower sometimes wont come on ill driving hit a bump and it starts blow maybe blower or relay not sure

1 - 9 of 9 Posts