Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When will the new Tauruii be getting a chassis remodel? As I understand it the body is the only thing different. And that the new Taurus' ride on the Five Hundred chassis.

Is this true and if so, when is Ford going to redo the chassis for the Taurus?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The Chassis is already redone. It may have further redesigns in 2012. And you under stood wrong about the body being the only thing that is different. Everything is different, it shares nothing in common with the old Taurus, and even has a lot of things different from the 500.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, thanks for the response. I remember reading some post on here stating the that the chassis was the same, hence the big rear end on the new Taurus.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
When will the new Tauruii be getting a chassis remodel? As I understand it the body is the only thing different. And that the new Taurus' ride on the Five Hundred chassis.

Is this true and if so, when is Ford going to redo the chassis for the Taurus?

Thanks!

The current Taurus seems very fresh. I don't think it will be refreshed any time soon. It's a fine car as is. I borrow my parents' 2005 Five Hundred every once in a while it's pretty fun to drive. The steering is tighter than on the gen 3 Taurus and the gas throttle is pretty responsive thanks to the 6 speed automatic transmission. I always get surprised. Is that really the old 200HP Duratec pulling this ginormous car? The other day I floored it when starting to merge at about 20mph and that made the tires chirp a little. Engine sound is quiet, more refined. I can only imagine that an AWD 2010 Taurus with a 263 horsepower engine is more fun to drive. Legroom is great for 6 footers in the front and the back. I only wish they didn't implement with F150 seating position. Those seats are really high, despite the car being relatively high already.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
The Chassis is already redone. It may have further redesigns in 2012. And you under stood wrong about the body being the only thing that is different. Everything is different, it shares nothing in common with the old Taurus, and even has a lot of things different from the 500.
Really? That's incorrect as the interior and exterior stylings changed, but the chassis and engine (minus the SHO) are the same as the gen5... which means the current Taurus is but merely an update to the previous Taurus which is itself an freshening of the 500.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
What previous Taurus? The Current Taurus has nothing in common with the 4th gen. Nothing. The Current Taurus is born from the 500 it is true, but try swapping part from the 500 to the current Taurus. Not much will interchange.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
What previous Taurus? The Current Taurus has nothing in common with the 4th gen. Nothing. The Current Taurus is born from the 500 it is true, but try swapping part from the 500 to the current Taurus. Not much will interchange.
I didn't say 4th Gen, I said the previous gen (Gen 5, the redesigned 500)... its just like how the gen3 and 4 were the same chassis and basic car, just reskinned. The gen6 is just a freshening of the gen5.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The 500 and the 5th gen Taurus are the same car, so much so that the 500s were only made for half a model year. They have cosmetic differences, but so does a Taurus and a Sable, doesn't mean they are not the same car. The 6th Gen drops the classic Duratec entirely, and goes with the Cyclone engine, which is based on a Duratec. They made enough changes to make it a different car.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Are you serious right now?

The 500 was made from 2005-2007, that is more than "half a model year". Also, it is the same chassis... the 2010 Taurus is the same chassis as the 2005 Five Hundred and 08/09 Taurus! It is the same car as the Gen5 Taurus, different sheetmetal and interior but its still the same car and SAME ENGINE. The 5th gen and 6th gen have the same 3.5... its the same car, just refreshed.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I guess you are right, I just remember the 500 was not memerable, and didn;t seem to be on the market that long. But I guess 2005 was the first year.

Nonethess, while the chassis is the same none would argue that the 3rd and 4th gen are essentially the same chassis, and that most of the sheet metal is different. The cosmetic changes were significant enough it would be considered a remake.

The 500 was only offered with a 3.0L Duratec V6, not the 3.5L The 5th gen Taurus was offered with the 3.5L however. The 500 did have several transmission options.

The 5th Gen Taurus is essentially a 500. I am not arguing that. But I do consider the 6th gen Taurus to be as much a change over the 5th gen as the transition from 3rd to 4th gen was. When the entire interior and exterior undergoes a redesign, it basically becomes a new car.

The major changes that occurred between the 5th gen to the 6th gen is the new AWD system, the added electronic gizmos, the larger exterior and styling, the new interior. Noteworthy changes if you ask me, there were fewer changes between the 3rd and 4 gens.

The 5th and 6th gens carried over nothing from the previous gens, and did not carry over the 500s engine or transmission or suspension. The chassis is almost the same, but why mess with what is undoubtedly an excellent chassis.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Are you serious right now?

The 500 was made from 2005-2007, that is more than "half a model year". Also, it is the same chassis... the 2010 Taurus is the same chassis as the 2005 Five Hundred and 08/09 Taurus! It is the same car as the Gen5 Taurus, different sheetmetal and interior but its still the same car and SAME ENGINE. The 5th gen and 6th gen have the same 3.5... its the same car, just refreshed.
It is in fact very similar. However the suspension is very different. In fact it has more in common with the Flex and Mks then 500. And the G6 Taurus will be completely re done in 2013 when it Mondeo and Fusion all share a global platform.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts