Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am today the proud owner of my first Taurus. My wife already drives a 2002 Windstar. I traded in my old 1990 Accord I got from my parents on a 1999 Taurus SE. Its Green/Tan with the alloy wheels, power seats, locks, cruise tilt, ABS, etc.

68k miles on it and I got it for $4488. I got $1500 trade in on the 1990 accord and put $500 down. Financing thru my employer, a credit union, at 4.5% for 36 mo ended me up with a $90/mo payment.

So far I love it and can't wait to get ahold of a Ford CD changer for it. Next weekend I'm going with my brother in law to the Ford dealership where he works so we can get all the fluids changed out, replace the front brake pads, and rotate the tires.

Its only got the 3.0 Vulcan but it seems like its not underpowered and will hopefully provide reliable transportation for a while.

I have already gotten a lot of great info from the site and hope to learn even more from everyone.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Welcome to the TCCA!!!

"Its only got the 3.0 Vulcan but it seems like its not underpowered"

Yes, it seems you've noticed the wonders of a little low-end and mid-range touque!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah its nice to see the difference in a 6cyl vs a 4cyl.

The car also rides so much nicer. I used to sell fords new back in 96/97 so I know that gen 3 style pretty well.

J

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the club! Prepare to become addicted!

I had a 99 myself, the only reason I don't still have it is because the previous owner did not take care of it, which lead to some costly repairs - so I decided to get rid of it and put my money towards my current Taurus.

As long as you keep up on maintenance (which it sounds like you will, since you're getting the fluids changed) it should last you quite a while. I miss my Gen 3.

Best of luck with your Taurus and I'm sure we'll see you around the forums!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Welcome to the club. I think you will be happy with your choice.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Welcome Abord and glad to have you. You've probably found the largest single source for Taurus maintenance, performance, and news. Poke around the forums to get used to the layout and feel free to ask questions! I don't think there's a Southern chapter for TCCA. I don't know how many folks we have in that area, but keep your eyes out... you never know.

-Dan

B

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the club! I hope you enjoy your time here, and find some useful information!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was tough this morning. My usual commute is drive 15 miles to the local public rail station and then ride for 45 minutes on a train to get to Downtown Dallas. Usually I'm ready to get there with my old car. Today I was disappointed when it came time for my exit off the highway. I'm already thinking I wouldn't mind a duratec one for my next car

Once I get all the fluids and maintenance done I may look into window tint or tracking down a Ford CD changer. I do miss the Pioneer MP3 head unit I had in the Honda but it looks like its not an easy task to put an aftermarket head unit into these 3rd gen. I think its going to be a great addition to the garage and will give us another option for trips to Austin or other drives. The kids were already climbing around in the back seat last night. Luckily I've got the seats in the back that fold down to allow trunk access so if they get too rowdy in they go

I hope I can help contribute to the site. Most of my knowledge is in the computer/IT field but my brother in law is a Ford diesel mechanic at a local dealership. I'd love to chat with any other members in the DFW area.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Welcome , welcome, welcome...
anything you want to do to your bull in terms of mods, has probably been done, or at least attempted, so you should be able to find info. on just about anything in here. The "search" tool (located at the top of this page) is a great way to save time looking for info. or just post your questions in any of many forums we offer.

Contributions, to the TCCA can be made in a number of ways. First and most common would be general Taurus/Sable knowledge, everything from frame up restoration, to replacing rear view mirror. Other contributions would be monetary, IT/computer knowledge, or just personality. If you would like to help support the club through a financial donation, :thanks: there is a "donations" link at the top of this page as well as in my sig. line. The IT/computer knowledge will be most valuable to those of us (myself mostly) that are lucky enough to be able to turn computer
on.

Please don't forget to schedule your " I'm a TCCA Addict Support Group" meeting

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as the IT side I do most anything. I'm the Network Admin for a Credit Union in Dallas and I do everything from the desktop PC's to the routers, servers, and firewalls. My main focus is in IT Security and I'm currently pursuing one the industry certifications. I also do some minor web development and consulting when I can on the side to make a few extra $$$.

I'd be glad to share any knowledge or help I can. Who should I let know if I decide to poke around the site, server, etc?

My hats off to all the moderators. Its not always an easy or rewarding task. I'll try and keep my flaming and profanities to a minimum.
If the site owners wanted to add a computer support section here to the forums I'd be glad to answer anything I can. I don't claim to know it all but I know lots of people and I'm a terror on the search engines.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Originally posted by stang2be@Feb 18 2004, 09:56 AM
As far as the IT side I do most anything.  I'm the Network Admin for a Credit Union in Dallas and I do everything from the desktop PC's to the routers, servers, and firewalls.  My main focus is in IT Security and I'm currently pursuing one the industry certifications.  I also do some minor web development and consulting when I can on the side to make a few extra $$$.

I'd be glad to share any knowledge or help I can.  Who should I let know if I decide to poke around the site, server, etc?

My hats off to all the moderators.  Its not always an easy or rewarding task.  I'll try and keep my flaming and profanities to a minimum. 
  If the site owners wanted to add a computer support section here to the forums I'd be glad to answer anything I can.  I don't claim to know it all but I know lots of people and I'm a terror on the search engines.
Adam B. is our site Guru (he da' man!) or you can contact Doc he is the TCCA Vice Prez.

As far as the moderating, our members make it pretty easy for us, they know (pretty much) what they can and can't do, and if they do screw up then any one or all of these may happen......

:punchbob:
:dissappear:
:grrrr:
:spanking:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. I sent a pm to Adam B. to introduce myself. I'll try not to cause any major havoc on the site. I have been know to break stuff every now and then.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Originally posted by stang2be@Feb 18 2004, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the info.  I sent a pm to Adam B. to introduce myself.  I'll try not to cause any major havoc on the site.  I have been know to break stuff every now and then.
if they do screw up then any one or all of these may happen......

:punchbob: 

:dissappear: 
  :grrrr: 

:spanking: 

[/b]

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by stang2be@Feb 18 2004, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the info.  I sent a pm to Adam B. to introduce myself.  I'll try not to cause any major havoc on the site.  I have been know to break stuff every now and then.
Thanks for the pm, always nice to know there are other tech guys around. And I'm sure you can't do any more damage than our fearless leader Bob. I'm usually following him around when he does anywork on the site making sure he didn't break anything

Oh, and don't forget to check out the chat!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bet I can cause plenty of havoc. I did some testing on the Intrusion Detection Server I built for my employer to see that it picked up network attacks and in the process I managed to trash the firewall to the point it had to be reloaded from the ground up.

Scary to thing this was a firewall that is pretty standard for financial institutions and government agencies.

I've got other measures in place now to not only detect but prevent attacks now.

I tried chat and it doesn't work. The firewall prevents inbound identd requests. I'll have to give it a try from the house once I open that up on my home firewall.

Is it bad that I have a similar intrusion detection package setup for my home network?

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by stang2be@Feb 18 2004, 12:29 PM
I have been know to break stuff every now and then.
Heh, if you think you've got it bad...

You obviously havent met me yet!
I'm the one known as the "Crash Tester" ...

Welcome to the club! If you need help, you can talk to me.. Not sure what I can help you with, But I'd try!

(I also have a g3 Taurus... Vulcan engine Check out the signature)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts