Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife totaled her Durango last week and we ran across a `97 GL that she liked well so we brought it home. It had been sitting as my buddy's dad bought it for his grand daughters first ride- too old fashioned for her so he put it in the barn. He told me he was cleaning the interior a few weeks ago and had the air on, it ran out of fuel and the CEL light came on after that. Advance read the PCM for me yesterday but the reader they used did not spit out codes, it gave #3 misfire, #3 lean, and O2 sensor slow to close. I did a little searching on here and see that the coils are a culprit of a lot of problems. However, I got to thinking that maybe some junk may have been sucked through the filter and may be clogging the #3 injector causing a lean mixture. But you guys are the Taurus gurus so I'd like to hear your thoughts on this before I go buy a bunch of parts.

I can feel an ever so slight miss at idle but not when driven. Yesterday, I went to start it and it died twice as soon as it started up but has not done again. That is the only major thing I have found wrong so far. I replaced the front rotors yesterday, found that the doors won't lock from the drivers side switch, and the cruise don't engage. Other than that, I think we found a really nice car at a really nice price.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
At least one of the O2 sensors is definitely bad. Did the code reading tell which one (you have four)?

If you can figure out whether it's pre-sensor or a post-sensor, you can swap the pres or posts to confirm that you have know which one is really bad.

Spray WD-40 (or water if you have good ears) at the fuel injectors while the engine is running and listen for a change in idle speed. It there is a change, you have a vacuum leak and need to replace the injector o-rings.

The lean problem can be checked the same way as the O2 sensors. Just swap two of the injectors and watch to see of the trouble report moves to a different cylinder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks gohim.

I am not going to be able to work on it tonight but something else came up. She told me that the door/trunk open light came on today and it quit missing. I'm not sure about that one. I am going to tear into it this weekend and see what I can find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pulled the #3 plug this evening, that bank of the engine was not running lean. Actually, all three plugs on that bank indicated a rich condition. I got the computer scanned again and this time it showed P1131 and P0133. He reset the light, I picked up a new O2 sensor(Bank 1 upstream) and got it in this evening. No CEL, slight miss at idle but nowhere near what it was.

I pulled the coil and found a crack on the bottom under 5 and 6. Advance was out of stock but I have one on the way.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wife said it ran like a champ this morning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts