Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New 02' Taurus owner - Things to look for?

Greetings all, new "Bull" owner here.

I have traded in my beloved Ford Ranger for a family wagon / work car. I now own a 2002 Taurus SE 3.0 (Vulcan) with 83K on it.

I know this is a very broad question but besides the normal wear and tear, are there any specific things i need to look for or worry about on the 02' model?

I have seen some talk about water getting past the windshield and into the ac blower compartment. I dont believe i have that problem because i have already been in there to lubricate my current motor to make it a bit more quiet and i see no signs of water / rust on the motor or in the compartment itself.

I see that warped rotors are an issue with these as well from what i can see. When i stop, i have no shaking so im guessing im ok there as well.

Thanks for any help you can give and ill continue to scan through the Taurus newbie section for more helpful hints.

-PY-
No sig created yet

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Greetings all, new "Bull" owner here.

I have traded in my beloved Ford Ranger for a family wagon / work car. I now own a 2002 Taurus SE 3.0 (Vulcan) with 83K on it.

I know this is a very broad question but besides the normal wear and tear, are there any specific things i need to look for or worry about on the 02' model?

I have seen some talk about water getting past the windshield and into the ac blower compartment. I dont believe i have that problem because i have already been in there to lubricate my current motor to make it a bit more quiet and i see no signs of water / rust on the motor or in the compartment itself.

I see that warped rotors are an issue with these as well from what i can see. When i stop, i have no shaking so im guessing im ok there as well.

Thanks for any help you can give and ill continue to scan through the Taurus newbie section for more helpful hints.

-PY-
No sig created yet

Make sure your coolant is green. Start a transmission rebuild fund. Oil coat the living HELL out of the bottom of your drivers and passengers floor board if you're in a salt area, if you don't think it's needed I'll be happy to show you my missing floor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will check the color and start my fund haha.

I live in Houston, TX so no salt here to worry about besides the salt air from the gulf. :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum! Other than all the usual stuff for a used car pay attention to the cam position sensor, springs/struts, subframe bushings, brake pads/rotors, cooling system, and transmission. Those are by far the most common mechanical repair threads. Keep watching the active topics and you'll soon get a feel for what to look for.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Adding an aftermarket tranny cooler can do alot to prolong tranny life, especially if you live in an area with high summer temps.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Be sure to pull up the passenger side and drivers carpet to check for leaks or rust under there.
The vulcan oil pan always tends to leak at least once.:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Welcome to the Taurus Club!

Read the posts regarding cam synchronizer, save some money for transmission cooler, as you live in TX. And don't run 5w-20 oil if you don't want to see flickering oil pressure light. For your area you should be fine with 10w-30.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Make sure your coolant is green.
That is strange right there. I've had my 2006 since March of 2007, bought it from the local Ford dealer, and had it serviced there a few time, and it has always had the yellow/orange antifreeze. Even after an incident with a raccoon that resulted in a radiator change, the collision center put the orange in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts