Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, you a fan of the old skool Taurus? Well recently my parents got me a stock 95 Taurus GL. If you've got experience working on this car, or just have lots of knowhow on aftermarket parts and upgrades, can you help me out? Basically, what we have here is a completely clean canvas.

-I'd appreciate any advice you can give on suspension and engine performance upgrades. Thanks.

G

·
Congrats on the new (to you) car. There's a lot of suspension mods available, it all depends on how much you want to spend on springs, struts, etc. I'd say the basics, that don't cost too much, are KYB struts with Eibach springs (about a 1.5: drop).

From there, there's strut tower braces, subframe connectors, aluminum subframe bushings, larger swaybars, and polyurethane or TPR bushings for the suspension parts.

You didn't mention what engine you have, but I'll assume it's the 3.0. If so, there's limited options for engine mods on this car. Like anything, it all depends on what you're willing to spend.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Definetly an original title. :evil_grin: Welcome aboard. What exactly are your plans for this car?

14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a little money, but I plan to start with basic upgrades. Maybe some exhaust and suspension upgrades first. I eventually, provided I have the finances, want to get a new engine..something bigger than the 3.0 Vulcan. After it runs well, I want to start doing some upgrades to the looks: first wheels, then lights, body kit, spoiler, paint job, etc. As of right now, I have a Silver Frost 4 door sedan with nice tires.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Silver gen IIs rule!

welcome.. definitly flush the trans fluid and add a cooler.

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
You can do all of it and more. One thing I can say for definate: The 2G Taurii respond VERY well to suspension mods. Subframe Connectors (SFC's) and Aluminum Subframe Bushings (ASFB's or SFB's) will pay BIG dividends in hadling. Oh yeah, some guy named Bob :grin2: makes some kinda Strut Tower Braces (STB's). Supposedly, their awesome crack pipes. May make the car turn a little better, but that's just make-believe, like elves, and Eskimos. :lol:

Flowmater 40's sound great on a Vulcan, yank the intake silencer (do a search, you'll find aplenty on how-to's) and enjoy.

14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, awesome, thanks! Do you know where I can get a detailed spec of the Vulcan? I'm not sure where exactly the silencer is :unsure: . We don't have much in the way of auto shops in Coos Bay, but I bet I could find some exhaust stuff here. It will be a slow project...but I'll try and keep anybody interested updated on my plans and the vehicles status.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The silencer on the Vulcan is that plastic thing that connects from your airbox to the driver's side fender.

14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Removed the silencer today, now it sounds as good as it runs. This won't effect the preformance at all? how can you lose! :lol2:

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wanted to remove the silencer on my 93 gl 3.0 but it seems as though it'll do nothing to enhance the motor, so my dad says, becuase of where its located. Since i guess it's not like the 3.8(saw it on the how to on the homepage), wouldn't it just be bad for the motor to be sucking in hot air ?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Removing the silencer is just for the sound. Yeah, sucking in hot air is bad for performance, but I heard it improves throttle response though.

14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Removing the silencer is just for the sound. Yeah, sucking in hot air is bad for performance, but I heard it improves throttle response though.
The silencer ended up being a hollow tube (ram-air duct), but with a large box mounted to the top. The whole thing's one solid piece, but do you think I could cut the box from the tube, and re-mount the tube and still get the same sound fx? Oh yeah, I haven't noticed any preformance problems yet...if there are any, they're minor. But the car hasn't been out driving without the silencer much

·
Registered
187 Posts
The silencer on mine was like that, one solid piece, and i came to the conclusion that if i wanna remove it, i gotta take off that whole piece, because it looks like it's not coming apart. So i guess one day, i'll just do a new air intake, but for now, i'll get my engine sucking in cold air, not all that hot air from them motor.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
You could just pull off the plastic inside the wheel well and cut the silencer off. The tube runs down into your fenderwell, near the front bumper, so you could just cut it just before it meets the frame of the car, up near the battery. That will allow you to get rid of the silencer, yet still be able to suck in cold air from the fender.

JR

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking at my silencer, it looks like it would be fairly easy to cut off the plastic box from the tube, then just re-connect the tube...but there would still be a hole in the top of the tube where the silencer was. I imagine if you could figure out a way to plug that hole, it seems like would work :huh: .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts