Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about keeping the factory AM/FM/CD Player, install new speakers with a Amp, and install 2 12's in the trunk with their own amp.

How well does the stock head unit handle being hooked into stock speakers and amps? I know that some factory stereo's protect speakers by reducing bass output when the volume is turned up, has anyone had that problem with the stock ford stereo?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yes, our headunits WILL cut out bass output after the volume is about half way up to full. I had 2 12" subs hooked up to my stock headunit with the aid of a LOC. Then I got an aftermarket headunit, so here is my take.

With the aftermarket headunit the sound was a lot cleaner and easier to control thanks to the EQ and the fact that I could turn it on and off.
With the stock headunit all you have is bass up or down.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
It also depends on the kind of sound output you want.

If you are looking to have everybody on the street near you here your music too, then aftermarket equipment is the way to go. If you are just looking to upgrade from factory, and have some decent sounding music with decent bass, then I would suggest going along the route that 03FordTaurus did in the beginning by buying a Mach amp to drive the speakers, and then adding a LOC to the rear speaker wires and add an aftermarket amp and sub(s).

I have a gen 4 Mach unit and Pioneer 3-ways all around, and I'm pleased with it. If I added an aftermarket amp and subs to handle the bass, I think it would sound quite excellent for the money spent. B)

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Technically you could get away with the stock HU and aftermarket amps. All it would take so you wouldn't lose sound at high volume is setting the gains on the amps properly. Make it so that once you reach half volume on the radio the amps are at their max potential meaning you are getting their full power and it SHOULD sound pretty good if done correct. But IMO too much of a headache and would either recommend the Mach RCU with a sub added on in the trunk with amp or aftermarket HU.

·
Registered
587 Posts
if installing a after market to your oem check out this audio control model epicenter plus. it has a up grade for a i pod cable so you can listen to the ipod threw the factory radio depending on if you run a amp for the mids / highs. any ways here is a link to one of these work way better and do not break like the loc from walmarts. which are 15 bucks at walmarts. there are other versions that are cheaper but i find this model is top notch for what it offers and what the bull has stock.

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_161EPIC...ay.html?tp=6870

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys, for the money, I might as well just go with an aftermarket cd player.

I didnt want to have the hassle of having to do an install kit, and have to pop the a/c knobs and stuff off. I will just deal with it, and install an aftermarket cd player.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
QUOTE (GilroyRacing @ Jun 1 2010, 10:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808523
Thanks for the replys, for the money, I might as well just go with an aftermarket cd player.

I didnt want to have the hassle of having to do an install kit, and have to pop the a/c knobs and stuff off. I will just deal with it, and install an aftermarket cd player.[/b]
Adding an aftermarket HU is relatively easy with the Taurus. All you need is a set of DIN keys (or bent clothes hangers) and the whole unit, A/C controls and all will pop right out. Then you just put the dash kit in it's place. B)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (PURPL3H3YS @ Jun 1 2010, 11:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808536
QUOTE (GilroyRacing @ Jun 1 2010, 10:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808523

I didnt want to have the hassle of having to do an install kit, and have to pop the a/c knobs and stuff off. I will just deal with it, and install an aftermarket cd player.[/b]
Adding an aftermarket HU is relatively easy with the Taurus. All you need is a set of DIN keys (or bent clothes hangers) and the whole unit, A/C controls and all will pop right out. Then you just put the dash kit in it's place. B)
[/b][/quote]

I have the DIN keys, It should go pretty easy. Just have to pick out a CD Player now.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Actually I protest the din keys. They've caused nothing but hours of headaches to me and I haven't used them in the Taurus in almost a year and a half. I found you can actually reach from underneath the dash and push the clips. Laying on the driver side floor and then the pass. floor I can pop my radio out in about 15 seconds. The second I found this out I said TO HELL WITH DIN KEYS!!! lol, they never stayed straight or worked just "right". Although I found out this weekend now that I have installed a center console the passenger side is a little bit more of a PITA because of the console going farther under on the passenger side and got a few scratches on my arm because of it but the scars are worth it to me :punchdoc: Still manage to pull a 23 second flat. B)

j/k about that second time, I don't know for sure lol

·
Registered
524 Posts
QUOTE (RByers @ Jun 1 2010, 11:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808540
Actually I protest the din keys. They've caused nothing but hours of headaches to me and I haven't used them in the Taurus in almost a year and a half. I found you can actually reach from underneath the dash and push the clips. Laying on the driver side floor and then the pass. floor I can pop my radio out in about 15 seconds. The second I found this out I said TO HELL WITH DIN KEYS!!! lol, they never stayed straight or worked just "right". Although I found out this weekend now that I have installed a center console the passenger side is a little bit more of a PITA because of the console going farther under on the passenger side and got a few scratches on my arm because of it but the scars are worth it to me :punchdoc: Still manage to pull a 23 second flat. B)

j/k about that second time, I don't know for sure lol[/b]
^That is the legit way to do it on our cars. I hate the DIN keys.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I actually built on the factory head unit in my 98' Sable a few year's ago, and worked out pretty good. Not a ground pounding set up, but still several hundred watt's. My car had the automatic climate system, so really the best way. The factory bass roll off at higher volume setting's is there, but different than what most think. It's what's known as a loudness equalizalization curve, that actually has the bass boosted at lower volume's to fight road noise, then flatten's to no boost beyond about 12 O'clock. You just have figure how to factor it in with aftermarket amplifier gain setting's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts