Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When driving slowly around mostly parking lots I started hearing a new noise when turning the steering wheel. It happens only when I make a left turn. Past somewhere 180 degrees into the turn, I hear some kind of a rubbing noise coming from the front of my car's left side. The noise persists as long as the wheel is being turned. It almost feels like some parts rub each other, perhaps in need of a little grease. This is not the whining noise that's caused by a bad steering gear (that was replaced a year ago). Any ideas what could this possibly be? Should I jack up the car and check anything?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It could be: the plastic sway bar end link, the strut mount, the tie rod seal broke and lost all it's grease, or the ball joint seal broke, and lost all it's grease. Check the end link first, then the tie rod end, and ball joint.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ball joint and the plastic end link are also new (replaced this year), so I suspect it's one of the other suspects.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
It could always be the stupid rack and pinion. I know the company to blame too; contech castings. I worked for them for 3 months and my mom has worked for them for the last 18yrs and she said they die cast all of the rack and pinions for the taurus and sable in the 90s and early 2000s. I know the rack and pinion is the problem in my 99 sable duratec, i just havent got around to changing it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took off the wheel and looked today. Nothing is loose. Ball joint seal is intact. The tie rod seal looks intact, but it has some grease on it, is this normal? The plastic end link looks good. It did sound like rubbing. The plastic

·
Registered
32 Posts
mine makes a rubbing noise when turning, like rubbing a balloon. after much investigation it turned out to be a rubber dust boot around the steering shaft under the dashboard where it penetrates the fire wall. A little o-ring lube and no more noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts