Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2007? Buick Velite is the first domestic GM to be based on Holden's new Zeta platform, which is designed for the upcoming new Monaro and Commodore. The Zeta platform's drivetrain can either be RWD or AWD, and either v6 or v8 for powertrain.

The Zeta platform will replace the W-body platform in the U.S., so expect the Century, Grand Prix, Impala, Monte, and other mid-size GMs to take advantage of Holden's technology around 2007-2008.

[Ninja Secret] These Buick Velite pictures are still in press embargo. You won't find them on car news sites... yet.
[/Ninja Secret]

Click for high-res versions (damn autoresize)

http://www.bomengen.com/gm/velite/

·
Registered
549 Posts
Looks like a hot dog on wheels from the side.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Meh, not a big fan of the exterior styling. Where's the engine?

Why can't the American car companies make up a whole new design for their cars instead of swiping a chassis from their foreign models? And why do they hide the engine?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Thats a buick? Sorry it sucks. Plus, that car looks a heck of a lot like the Opel Speedster.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by dIESEL600@Mar 21 2004, 04:09 PM
Looks like a hot dog on wheels from the side.
would you like mustard with that?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Mmmm, a Buick trying to be something a Buick isn't....*purr*

First, Buick makes a minivan, now they make a sporty coupe?

Stupid world. Buick should stick to making huge monster boat cars and nothing else.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Buick did make one spots car called the GNX. good car

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
ewww... WTF is GM thinkin? I agree... Buick should stick to their monster boat cars... Old people need to drive something.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The market and the auto old hierarchy are changing. Caddy will move upmarket to fight global players (MBZ, BMW, Audi, and even as high as Bentley and Maybach). If you haven't noticed, the Velite is way beyond current Buicks in terms of luxury and design. Buick is leaving Mercury behind and moving up to Lincoln. Bob Lutz wants Buick to be the "American Lexus."

P.S. The Buick minivan was a "last minute" decision. Apparently, the GM minivan clone factory was under-producing even with 3 versions of the same van... so GM made the decision to make one for Buick to fill the capacity.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Originally posted by civicex@Mar 22 2004, 12:33 AM
The market and the auto old hierarchy are changing. Caddy will move upmarket to fight global players (MBZ, BMW, Audi, and even as high as Bentley and Maybach). If you haven't noticed, the Velite is way beyond current Buicks in terms of luxury and design. Buick is leaving Mercury behind and moving up to Lincoln. Bob Lutz wants Buick to be the "American Lexus."
Well, Buick has a major image problem to shake off IMO. Think about it... for the most part, you never see anyone that wouldn't be considered a senior citizen driving a Buick. hence my comments in my previous post.

But whatever, more power to them. If it works for GM, great! If not, their loss.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, Buick is going to have a hard time attracting younger buyers... but I don't think they need to worry about that yet. Lincoln is as much a conservative geezer brand as Buick anyway. Buick just needs to catch up with Lincoln in luxury and design.

Maybe when Lincoln starts producing sporty small cars similar to the Volvo S40 and the Lexus IS300, then we will see something similar from Buick.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
I'm a young guy that like boats

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Well, it's not like the 500 exterior design is anything revolutionary...oops, sorry we're supposed to rag on GM on this board...

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by 93taurusSX@Mar 22 2004, 10:12 PM
Well, it's not like the 500 exterior design is anything revolutionary...oops, sorry we're supposed to rag on GM on this board...
I, personally, like the 500 Interior.
Plus, we do drive Fords, so I think a lot of us are a bit biased.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
gm needs to bring back the grand nationals. actually put a turbo engine in it though, and not some hopped up gas saver or the supercharged engine. I wants me some turbo!

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
gm need to bring back a full size RWD car. 1996 was sad year to see the Caprice,Roadmaater,Impala, and Fleetwood go away.
All were LT1 powered

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I like the interior design, very 1930's-40's.

And don't forget the old GS 340s, GS400s, and GSXs of the 60's-70's!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts