Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to get new tires for my car. I am tired of getting about the cheapest ones I can. So, now I have $1000 to spend on wheels and tires. I only have a Vulcan as of now, it is silver. Today while I was on the Air Force base I spotted some rims that I liked. I want 18's but they only come in 17's. I think I am ok with that because 18's seem to be a lot more money. Well here are the rims...

http://www.americanracing.com/images/wheels/mega/m606.jpg' alt='' width='500' height='500' class='attach' />[/url]
these are the sizes
17x7 42 5 5/8 5x100
17x7 42 5 5/8 5x4 1/2
I don't know a lot about rims, but will the 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern the same as the
5x108?
Also how good are AR rims, are they really heavy?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I don't know a lot about rims, but will the 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern the same as the
5x108?
No.

108mm = 4.25in

The Taurus uses 5x108mm (5x4.25in) and 35-50 offset is usable, 42 is optimal. (35 sticks out, 50 may contact the struts)

American Racing makes decent rims. They aren't HRE's or SSR GT3 forged aluminum (drool), but they aren't bad.

If you have bad roads in your area, I recommend keeping your tires at or below 225/50-17 on 17 x 7" rims. Any narrower on the sidewall and you are asking for bent rims.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Edit: Spridget pwnz me on teh quick posting. :p

Originally posted by carraudio@Sep 16 2004, 12:15 AM
these are the sizes
17x7 42 5 5/8 5x100 
17x7 42 5 5/8 5x4 1/2
5x108?
I really like that style, but unfortunately, 5x108mm is not the same as 5x4.5 (5x114.3mm). If you find something in a similar style, and really like them, go for it. Its just a bummer our cars came with such an uncommon bolt pattern. AR wheels are pretty good. They arent reallllly heavy, but they certainly arent magnesium race wheels either.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Those Aeros look real nice - almost like the factory 2000-03.5 5-spoke rims.....

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I like the Kazera rims offered for sale at tirerack. They weigh 18lbs in 17X7 which is pretty light. The lighter wieght will enhance performance both in handling and acceleration. I purchased OZ Racing Superleggera in 17X8 weighing 17lbs each for my 1991 SHO. I plan to try to mount 245/45-17 Kumho MX if they will clear the rear wheel wells without rubbing.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
You're gonna want 235/40/18's at the least, because 225/40's will be too short. The ride will suck and your speedo will be off. Try to stick as close to the same overall diameter as you stock tires.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The bigger the wheel/tire combo you go with, the more power loss you'll fell at lower RPM's. Speedo may be off too. Measure the outside circumference of your stock wheels/tires, & get something close. Bigger wheels, w/lower profile tires.
I've got 17in. RAGE Race10's, w/Nitto Neo-Gens in 225/45ZR17. OZ wheels are the lightest I've seen, but nearly impossible to find in our bolt pattern. Superleggra's Rule! Don't get too "pimpish"... stay low on the "bling" scale. Silver Cars w/Black, Gray, Bronze wheels look KILLER!!!

B)

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
What is the stock tire size for your car? I know the G4's are 26" tall, so you'd wanna go with 225/45/18 if you want to keep the same diameter as stock. You could also go 235/40/18 if you want a slightly lower profile sidewall which will help cornering & make up for the weight gain (smaller OD = better gearing off the line), but they wont ride as well and the risk of bending a wheel goes up.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
My new OZ's arrived today. Going to get tires mounted tomorrow and install the new wheels/tires on my SHO. I am looking forward to see how much the handling and ride will change. Now I will be able to install my Baer Racing brakes that have been collecting dust on the shelf for a year and half. My brother in law is happy since he is getting my old slicers with Dunlop SP8000 with 10k for free. I am attaching a picture I took of one of the wheels in the box.

Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I went today to install my new rims with yokohama ES100 in 235/45ZR17 (paid $550.00 out the door). The driver's side rear is the tightest fit on a Gen 1. My wheels/tires would not fit. I need about 3/4 to 1 more inch of clearance. I really like the way the car looked with the new wheels and tires. The wheel wells looked filled up and the wheels and tires go to the edge of the body. The wheel and tires look very much wider although I am going only up to 235mm from 225mm. The new wheel is 2 inches wider than the stock slicers and contribute greatly to the wide look. As it is, the tires would get cut on a bump. I am getting the rear fenders cut and rolled tomorrow morning. I am going to try to see if 245/45-17 will clear after the trimming tomorrow too. I tried 225/45-17's but the tires and wheels looked too small although the overall diameter is about the same as the 225/50-16 I have on now. I will post pics when I am done if interested.

Bob

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm not much on all chrome rims but I like the ARs. Did you find them in the right bolt pattern, or change your mind?

The alternates don't do much for me, and I agree that wider spokes are generally better.

But I also those OZs a lot. For me, I'd rather see all the spoke equidistant from each other. Those are close to the Voxxs I wanted to get, but are now out of production.

The stock rims have grown on me, but I *do* want some 17s or 18s.

Still looking...

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They don't make the AR's to fit our cars but I might see what they can do at the shop that they were at.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts