Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aftersome thought I finally decided to have my car towed to the dealership. Apparently there is a computer problem with my car and I am going to have to get a new PCM installed on it. I don't know what this means, but I am scared that it is going to cost tons of money.

Can anyone give me an estimate on how much this is going to cost on a 2001 Ford Taurus with about 115,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Not sure what the cost will be, but it more then likely won't be cheap. I was lucky when my PCM fried and only paid $300. $200 for the tow home and $100 for a PCM out of a junk yard. See if they could install a matching PCM from a junk yard, it would save a lot, however warranty would not be the same.

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
^^^^ +1

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure what the cost will be, but it more then likely won't be cheap. I was lucky when my PCM fried and only paid $300. $200 for the tow home and $100 for a PCM out of a junk yard. See if they could install a matching PCM from a junk yard, it would save a lot, however warranty would not be the same.
The guy at the dealership somehow found one for 150 dollars from another company. 75 for towing and 150 for the pcm. I have no clue how much labor is but it's not going to be cheap.

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
Might not be too bad. R&R of the PCM takes very little time. It will likely have to be reprogrammed for the PATS and a few other things. I hope the new PCM solves the problem. Ford PCMs are very robust, and very rarely fail.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might not be too bad. R&R of the PCM takes very little time. It will likely have to be reprogrammed for the PATS and a few other things. I hope the new PCM solves the problem. Ford PCMs are very robust, and very rarely fail.
Turns out I am spending 617.26 for everything put together. I don't even want to fathom the fact that the PCM may fail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts