Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 99 Taurus SE 24v DOHC. This is my first Taurus, and I'll be honest (my first Ford) I really like the car but like most people here, would like to improve performance (engine and handling). I'm not in a position at this time to spend a ton of $$ but would welcome any recomendations for some quick wins. Also, is there any characteristics that I should know about the on the car, like what I should expect to have trouble with?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
99 is probably the best year to mod a duratec this is coming from a former owner of a 96.

Remove intake silencer (not really all that much gain on perf. but the sound you get is really nice. there is a link to a write up on the home page

K&N panel drop in filter cost about 35-50 bux.

For any taurus as a safty precaution you must get a auxillary Trans cooler because about 80% of the problem with the trans is because of heat.

now if you can spare some cash go to www.americanmotorsport.com and this guy can burn you a custom program for your car. A lil expensive but well worth it as about anybody will tell you.

but now just about everything else is make your own mod some people have a Cat-back style exhaust made for them at a local shop usually about 300 bux with decent mufflers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much difference does it make between using a drop in replacement K& N filter and the K&N High Performance Intake Kits

·
Registered
114 Posts
There isnt a whole lot of difference in the OEM filter and the K&N. On some cars I have seen gas milages increases as much as 1 mpg. You will find some faster throttle response, barely noticable. The K&N filter comes alive more without that intake silencer to worry about. On my sable I saw an extra 1.6 MPG after putting on a K&N filter and flowmaster exhaust. Your best choice for performance is going with a chip from American Motorsport. I am ordering mine today, and I have heard stories of as much as 3 mpg extra on an efficiency program, and I have been told the average increase on their performance program is as much as 26 ftlbs of torque.

·
Registered
114 Posts
by the way I wouldnt use most intake kits you will find. Your money will be much better spent on cold air intake. Most intake kits you find anywhere else are just short ram kits. Basically what you see on most ricers. That is a hot air intake, it is taking in hot engine air. A cold air intake needs to reach into your fender wall or front air dam to get in cold air.

Oh yeah and even though I am fairly new here, welcome to the club

·
Registered
129 Posts
The best mod for the Money would have to be the VAK, no questions about it, that and the upgraded Headlight harness so u can see where your going.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by SHOMAN@Jun 25 2004, 01:24 PM
The best mod for the Money would have to be the VAK, no questions about it, that and the upgraded Headlight harness so u can see where your going.
vak? forgive the newb :)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by j0rd4n+Jun 25 2004, 01:39 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j0rd4n @ Jun 25 2004, 01:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-SHOMAN@Jun 25 2004, 01:24 PM
vak? forgive the newb :)[/b][/quote]
Vacuum Accessory Kill

It temporarily disables several accessories (Alternator, A/C, VAPS...) when at WOT

SHOZ123 (Paul) custom makes these if you are interested, mines coming in next week ;)

BTW, here is a link to a page on my website that has a lot of Auto Acronyms so that might help. Auto Acronyms

**EDIT** Spelling/Grammar

1 - 10 of 10 Posts