Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 99 Taurus SE 24v DOHC. This is my first Taurus, and I'll be honest (my first Ford) I really like the car but like most people here, would like to improve performance (engine and handling). I'm not in a position at this time to spend a ton of $$ but would welcome any recomendations for some quick wins. Also, is there any characteristics that I should know about the on the car, like what I should expect to have trouble with? :newbie:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Expect trouble with the transmission. Practically guarantee it.

As for performance. Try removing the intake silencer (there's a tutorial on the site here). Also, maybe a FRAM Air Hog air filter. K&N is probably better but they're like $60 bucks (at least for my 97 panel filter). If you can, remove the air box altogether and stick a cone filter on the end of your intake hose. It's not flashy, and not as good as a powdered pipe, but it works all the same.

And try some routine tune up stuff. Change the oil, plugs, wires, tranny fluid, air filter, pcv valve...that stuff. You'd be surprised at how much of a difference the little things can make. It all adds up.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your bull. If you take care of them, they're great cars.

Also, watch for rust on the body. Ford's are notorious for rust.

Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips!!

I noticed that I doesn't seem to shift just right under moderate accelleration from a stop or slow roll. I thought maybe it was just a characteristic of a Ford.

Fortunatly, the person that I bought it from had purchased a deluxe extended warranty. It has about 75,000 miles on it and the warranty is good until 08/05 or 100,000 miles. Too bad the trans. wouldn't go out soon.

since it shifted this way since I got the car, I don't know what the correct way is.

hmmmm......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts