Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
3. My temperature gauge is showing the car is getting hotter recently. I did replace a small question mark shaped hose when I got the car because it was leaking. The car could use a flush, and there is some rust in the overflow tank and the top of the radiator neck.
Hello, I have a 92 with the 3.8l V6 and these motors are well known to blow head gaskets so I'd check this out before anything else. You may find that this maybe your main problem.

1. The check engine light comes on... I jumped the EEC-IV connectors and got a code 89 (torque converter solenoid circuit). In memory I have codes 39(Transmission Torque Converter clutch not engaging ) and 69 (AXOD transmission (O) 3/2 switch closed (possible short circuit) ).

As for your Tranny, I suspect that you will need a rebuild on it as these trannies are pretty weak. Maybe just get the Torque Converter replaced might do it.

Really, check the overheating out first, my 3.8 runs very cool and that bothers me as it just does not seem normal. Oh and my AC went out this spring... Some fool forced me off the road and it broke the AC line under the car. :angry:

· Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I understand overheating, the whole reason I got this car was because I let my other car overheat and blew the head gasket. Seeing as this car is older I am a bit afraid to use a chemical flush in it. Ive heard it can open holes. Should I use a chemical flush, backflush or what?
I don't know about the chemical flush, just a backflush would be best I think. I need to flush my 92 as I have a little rust in the overflow tank, and I don't know when it was done last. Also, check to see if the water pump is flowing coolant around the motor. Easy way to tell is to open the rad cap with the motor cold and then start it up. Once the car is hot you should see the coolant moving around in the rad. Not sure if the water pumps in these cars are strong or not. Anyone know?

Just a quick note on your tranny, it is full, right? :p

· Registered
8 Posts
Yep, its full. Im not bad for a girl huh?
Did not know you were a girl :D Funny thing is I knew a girl that was a auto repairman/woman/person until she was in a car accident and then could not longer to that job. And my mother is better @ working on cars than me. :lol2: So, not all women are bad at cars, a lot just are scared to look at them. Hell, I know I am!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.