Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I aways disliked the key start, it so un-ergonomic, but the last drop was my broken thumb which made me to use my left hand to start the car. It took me two weeks to make the setup, but yesterday I installed it and I love it! The button has a very nice action and feel, and the extra switch restores the key function.
The whole system is fail-safe and all the functions of the ignition switch are duplicated. Starting the car is so much fun now. Ok, I have to cool down, a Ferrari it is still not... :)

Stan

[attachmentid=27663]

Attachments

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
:thumb:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Very nice work man, I like it B)

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Thats really a neat idea. Very clean install.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Sweet! That is a cool idea, but was it a lot of work? I'm sure there are loads of people that would love to see a how-to.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That may be my all time favorite mod!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clean fab work there!

You still need the key for power though, right?
[/b]
Thanks! It has to be in Run, obviously, and then if the small button is in, green dot, as in the picture,
the key start function is diabled and the red button illuminates and starts the engine. If it is off,
only the key works. In addition, therew is a small overvoltage circuit which cuts off power to the pushbutton when the engine starts and the voltage rises over 13 V. So there is no way of starting with the engine running, which has happened to me a couple of times.

Stan

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
nice

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet! That is a cool idea, but was it a lot of work? I'm sure there are loads of people that would love to see a how-to.
[/b]
It was not a lot of work. I spent much more time figuring out the system than the fabrication took.
This is because I added extra functionality, overvoltage cut-off, cut-off of the circuits which the key switches off during the start and other details. Quite a bit of time was spent machining the housing for the pushbuttons, but I wanted a clean and neat appearance, to get the function alone was not enough. The powder paint does not match the grey of the interior but we don't do this grey where I work.
If there is some interest, I can post the details, no problem.

Stan

·
Registered
223 Posts
I like it. I for one would be interested in details of how it works.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's awesome! So that bezel for the buttons is made of metal?
[/b]
Yes, it is milled out of aluminum, powder coated and screwed to the cover from behind.

·
Registered
428 Posts
WOW!

I especially like the over-voltage cutoff

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Wow, nice work! :thumb:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:thumb:
I like it. I for one would be interested in details of how it works.
[/b]
After some sweating I managed to post the writeup in Wiki, under Ignition.
Comments, suggestions, questions and constructive criticism - all is welcome :thumb:

Stan

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I am having trouble following your diagram because the text shrank in size.

Also Step 3 is a bit confusing, I would need to find some wires that are off when the key is in start position only? The number you used in this step doesn't make sense either, what manual did you use?

Normally I can read this easily, but this is leaving me with a headache.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts