Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm picking up my 99 SE on friday and I'm pretty happy about it. It has 87K one owner miles (62 year old) and has been exceptionally maintained all highway miles and all reciepts for services. I paid $4200 for it and it has the 3.0 DOHC engine. Anything I should look out for with this car? any good mods to do to it? I just sold my 2000 Nissan Maxima (unfortunately to save $$) and would like to make this car even more fun to drive as well. Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
First of all Welcome to the :tcca: and congrats on the new car. Make sure you post some pics when you get it.

Off the top of my head, some easy and cheap things would include an aux trans cooler ($40-60) and a magnefine inline trans filter ($18), you can also remove the intake silencer for free. There are also of mods that can be done, it depends on if you are looking for performance or aesthetics. Look around the Forums and the garages and don't hesitate to pm or ask members about things they have done or any questions you may have. :)

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
First off, welcome to THE club. Let's see.......you just purchased a Gen III Taurus, which has been voted the second ugliest of the Tauri according to most of us. :D Your wheel fitment is 5x108 with an offset of usually 35mm and from what I've learned the widest wheel you can put on a Taurus is 8 inches without it scrubbing the rear wheel well. The door adjar light might come on a time or two while the door is CLOSED. Just get some WD40 for that. Taurus are known for the sagging @$$ syndrome but there are struts and springs to "fix" that. The most sensless part of the interior is the "football in the middle" Where the radio and climate controls are. If you don't have a Mach system, you have to pay a pretty good penny for the face plate if you want to do an aftermarket install. If you DO have the Mach system with the digital controls...... :rolleyes: The trunk can be opened with out the key being in the ignition. (I'm getting mine switched next Wednesday.) Anyway, there are alot of really great people in this club. I don't know what I'd do without them.

C Ya Around

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so far guys. With proper maintenense these cars can last quite a while right? Also, the 99 Duratech puts out 200 horse at the motor correct? Anyone put theirs on the dyno to see real FWHP? I turned the radio up alittle and remembered being impressed so I'm assuming it has the Mach stereo system ( I had Bose before). As far as the car being ugly, I like the way it looks <_<

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I have a Gen III as well. I don't think it's as ugly as it was when my grandmother bought hers. But there was a poll we actually had on which one was the ugliest. The first Generation Taurus won.(but not by much)
Oh yeah, as long as you keep it serviced regularly, (especially the transmission)they run like a Swiss watch.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Originally posted by gryphon1011@Jun 16 2004, 11:10 AM
I have a Gen III as well. I don't think it's as ugly as it was when my grandmother bought hers. But there was a poll we actually had on which one was the ugliest. The first Generation Taurus won.(but not by much)
Oh yeah, as long as you keep it serviced regularly, (especially the transmission)they run like a Swiss watch.
Welcome to the club, and your new addiction.

Personally I think the Gen 4s are the best looking. I mean come on tell me this isn't a thing of beauty to behold.......

http://www.superford.org/getfile.php?id=115830&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg' alt='' width='2272' height='1704' class='attach' />[/url]

Oh yea, we like to show off your bulls as well.....
For more pics of my bull...links are in sig. (shameless plug)

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Welcome!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by Troper8+Jun 16 2004, 05:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Troper8 @ Jun 16 2004, 05:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-gryphon1011@Jun 16 2004, 11:10 AM
Welcome to the club, and your new addiction.

Personally I think the Gen 4s are the best looking. I mean come on tell me this isn't a thing of beauty to behold.......

http://www.superford.org/getfile.php?id=115830&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg' alt='' width='2272' height='1704' class='attach' />[/url]

Oh yea, we like to show off your bulls as well.....
For more pics of my bull...links are in sig. (shameless plug)[/b][/quote]
The G4's are very, very nice and sleek looking. I like 'em a lot, but IMHO I think that the G3's are the "most sporty looking" Taurii, with those little driving lights placed between the headlights and that cool tailight/rear deck configuration. I just think they are "very sporty looking," and for that reason prefer their styling over the also very nice G4's (although not by much....) :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by DeltarMN@Jun 16 2004, 06:00 PM
Hi there, I hear that they make 150 on the dyno +/- 1-3 hp. With some mods you can make 187whp like me and venom. It doesn't take to much, my list of mods is found here. http://mike.deciv.com/dpmods.html

Have fun.

Also not to be an jerk or anything but the engine is spelled Duratec. No H.
Thanks all, yea I realized that I spelled it wrong, I'm at work and don't want to get caught so I type fast. :p I must admit this motor is pretty strong, kinda surprised me for what it is....

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by Ganton@Jun 20 2004, 11:25 AM
I like 'em a lot, but IMHO I think that the G3's are the "most sporty looking" Taurii, with those little driving lights placed between the headlights and that cool tailight/rear deck configuration.
C'mon... sportier looking than this? :evil_grin:

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Correct sir, 1.5" drop. Pictures are in the Gallery if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
C'mon... sportier looking than this?
That IS the baddest Taurus they ever created.... The Gen II SHO. :notworthy:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts