Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Bob, thanks for allowing me join this forum.
We have owned 3 Taurus vehicles, 1992 SEL(201000 miles) a 2008 SEL(198000 miles) and currently a 2017 SEL(30000 miles). Each of these vehicles have had problems over the years and I have been able to work and solve their problems by doing my own work. Mechanically all have been very good, most of the problems were electronic. All of the computer integrated systems today are very complicated to work through, for me.
The 2017 SEL, one month after the three year warranty, heated seats have quit working. By joining the forum, I hope to gain more knowledge about this system. I may need the dealer to scan the computer, at $90, we are going to try our best not let this happen. Currently researching Forscan for more information.
I wish Ford would extend the warranty on the Electronics to five years, even if they had to add pricing into the cars. I am not a fan of extended warranties and associated cost.
Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome to the club Bob! Congratulations to getting so many miles out of your previous Taurus’! I have a 2012 SEL so I look forward to hearing more about your 2017 model in the 6th gen threads.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
My name is Bob, thanks for allowing me join this forum.
We have owned 3 Taurus vehicles, 1992 SEL(201000 miles) a 2008 SEL(198000 miles) and currently a 2017 SEL(30000 miles). Each of these vehicles have had problems over the years and I have been able to work and solve their problems by doing my own work. Mechanically all have been very good, most of the problems were electronic. All of the computer integrated systems today are very complicated to work through, for me.
The 2017 SEL, one month after the three year warranty, heated seats have quit working. By joining the forum, I hope to gain more knowledge about this system. I may need the dealer to scan the computer, at $90, we are going to try our best not let this happen. Currently researching Forscan for more information.
I wish Ford would extend the warranty on the Electronics to five years, even if they had to add pricing into the cars. I am not a fan of extended warranties and associated cost.
Thanks
Bob
I have now 3 '03's in my name, but two are driven by family and I get one and have to exchange when my daughter wants to haul in my wagon. In total have had 9 bulls from '87 through present '03.
My experience is, they have: broken springs, ball joints, sway arm links, bad grounds, and broken wires in the accordions, as well as Alt fails. Things that for the most part I can fix. Newer electronics are not my thing as I am 81 and my electronics are '1950-60's. My last bad experience with automatic electronics was with my '02 Lin Cont when the memory seat went crazy and went all the way back, all the down and locked up. Under warranty and they had to have two tecs to remove it as the test connections were buried under. Good thing that it went back and nor forward or I would have to call 911 and be cut out of the car. But as in the pic, one tough car. This one 10 years later and 115K more miles after being totaled and not officially fixed. Just glass and a JY hood. Still on the road. Lots of character dents in the roof.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the club Bob! Congratulations to getting so many miles out of your previous Taurus’! I have a 2012 SEL so I look forward to hearing more about your 2017 model in the 6th gen threads.
We have been mostly satisfied, however, the heated seats as stated quit working after the warranty. One would think Ford would use better parts, after all of the failures over the past decade with heated seats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have now 3 '03's in my name, but two are driven by family and I get one and have to exchange when my daughter wants to haul in my wagon. In total have had 9 bulls from '87 through present '03.
My experience is, they have: broken springs, ball joints, sway arm links, bad grounds, and broken wires in the accordions, as well as Alt fails. Things that for the most part I can fix. Newer electronics are not my thing as I am 81 and my electronics are '1950-60's. My last bad experience with automatic electronics was with my '02 Lin Cont when the memory seat went crazy and went all the way back, all the down and locked up. Under warranty and they had to have two tecs to remove it as the test connections were buried under. Good thing that it went back and nor forward or I would have to call 911 and be cut out of the car. But as in the pic, one tough car. This one 10 years later and 115K more miles after being totaled and not officially fixed. Just glass and a JY hood. Still on the road. Lots of character dents in the roof.
-chart-
Chartmaker, I am headed towards 75 and am also still working all of my cars. Thanks for the inspiration, hopefully I will be doing the same at 81.Our cars, 1937 ford humpback, 1995 f150 extended cab(275000), 2011 F150 extended cab and the 2011 Taurus. I would still be driving the 1995 F150, but at our salvage yard it was ran over by a hot shot trailer in the front. One week later a deer took out the grill, still drive it around our small farm. One tough truck. In my mind I still want to repair it, simply to work on.
Bob

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Chartmaker, I am headed towards 75 and am also still working all of my cars. Thanks for the inspiration, hopefully I will be doing the same at 81.Our cars, 1937 ford humpback, 1995 f150 extended cab(275000), 2011 F150 extended cab and the 2011 Taurus. I would still be driving the 1995 F150, but at our salvage yard it was ran over by a hot shot trailer in the front. One week later a deer took out the grill, still drive it around our small farm. One tough truck. In my mind I still want to repair it, simply to work on.
Bob
Pic of my first. Bad engine. I also got '36 and '39 and tried to make one engine out of the 3. Seems they changed things each year and nothing was the same. Sold the whole pile and got a '50 with a bad 6 cylinder. Bought a '53 V8 engine and made that work.
Oh well still doing things. After getting married, our first move was with a borrowed '48 Ford 2 ton, 4 speed with 3 speed vacuum rear axle. It would do 60 in very flat road in about a mile run. Took all day to make 250 miles.
-chart-

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts