Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, Happy to be a new member. Hoping to get some great info here. Long time Ford "Bull" owner dating back to the late 80's when they were first built. Currently, have a '16 Bull SEL but have owned a number of 2000 to 2007 models which remain my favorite models.

Last October, I bought a 2004 Taurus SE with a 3.0 liter naturally aspirated engine from a "Little Old Lady" estate with 56,760 on the odometer. CarFax confirmed it based on what records they collected over the years. It had been sitting for nearly three years in the Las Vegas sun. The paint is pretty rough. Put in a new battery and it popped right off. Drove directly to a shop who flushed and changed all fluids and put four new tires on it. There were a lot of fried hoses under the hood too, so, I replaced those, along with changing the plugs, wires and coil pack. No codes or other codes showing when the car is scoped.

The car runs well with one major exception. The fuel economy is pretty bad. Regardless of driving this old Bull whether hwy or city the best I can get for MPG is 22.2 hwy. City MPG is mostly in the high teens which I accepted as normal from my previous experience. I am not relying on the digital gauge, and doing paper calculations, that's the best this old Bull can do. Being, what I think, is a person, whose had a number of this particular model cars, I think she can do better! I've gotten as high as 30 MPG on some of my previous such Bulls.

Some of the additional things I've done. New fuel filter and fuel system service. New air filter although, the one I took out was pretty clean. Transmission diagnostic, on two occasions, with no issues or codes found. One transmission tech who wanted to see how I drive, meaning no offense said, "You drive like an old grandpa". This is TRUE, I am an old grandpa! The car passes Nevada smog...AND...I just drove this old Bull 1,650 miles to Wisconsin for the summer. 22.2 MPG hwy each tankful during the whole trip.

According to EPA I should be getting around 27 MPG highway. ANY IDEAS would be appreciated? Cheers, Tom

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Welcome to the club! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts