Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Hello! I am 14 years old and (at this point) looking forward to get my dad's 1998 taurus SE he in turn got from my grandma who bought it new, she took great care of it, anyway I am curious about customizing it. I already know that if I do anything it will look like **** but I want to try this out on those who choose to see this.

A Red double Racing stripe down the body

HID Headlamps

Not obnoxious wheels but something like these Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct

Faux Portholes that are buick-esque

Not sure about a body color, any Ideas with that?
One more thing, how do I preview a color and paint combo with photoshop? I don't have photoshop but I think i can get a demo

so yeah...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Okay welcome here! You'll probably get jumped by modding your taurus with aesthetics before necessary upgrades, but I'll run down the list.

First off, your racing stripe. A lot of people do this, and in all honesty it doesn't turn out well. You want a red one, but what color is the car? Adding vinyls is a tricky job, takes a lot of time and patience to do right and all you need is one mess up to throw it all off. If I were you I would wait on that, because last you need is to do something that doesn't look good in the future and regret it.

HID's aren't as simple as you think too. You can't just pop in the bulb in our stock headlamp because that will cause unnecessary glare for other drivers and in some cases is illegal. You will need to modify the headlamp housing with a projector system, not a cheap or easy mod.

The wheels may be the easiest mod you have on the list, and by the way those you picked out would look great, not overdone nor too plain.

Portholes are too everyone's taste, my opinion is function over design, I'd be the one drilling out my fenders for portholes. :lol2: It's a cheap mod, but sometimes it also looks cheap.

Body color is also to taste. Personally I like dark cars, black, smoke grey, or a dark blue. If you really want to do the racing stripe you'll need a good color to go with it. [Not a neon red stripe with a lime green body] :wacko:

But like I tell everyone with a new car it's best to spend your money for now on things that are critical to keeping the car running. If there's any problems that need to be fixed now is the time. If it's in perfect condition then you really are lucky and can think about your mods.

Whatever you do I wish you the best of luck! I hope I didn't sound too discouraging to you, I am all up for tricking out vehicles but I hate seeing people regret what they do or ruin something.

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
Man..... 14 years old and having a car? I was 16 when I got my first car and didnt get my license till I was 17(which is now 18 I believe in NJ)

Do yourself a favor and stay away from those cheezy stick on $10 Pep Boys crap you get from their "apperance" isle. Take the taurus for what it is......... a nice, roomy, comfy car. It's not a race car but they can have some balls......

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nice to meetcha...

I have to agree, I like those wheels. I would put them on my own SHO if there weren't necessary mechanical issues that need to be checked for and corrected.

Having been in the mini truck arena for years, I've seen and participated in an absurd number of modifications to many vehicles (even a couple of my own). The one hard lesson I learned is that when you alter a vehicle, you need to alter it in a way that YOU find pleasing. If you want racing stripes because you like them: excellent, have fun! If you want them because Bobby down the street thinks they're cool: bad idea. Remember that YOU are the one that has to look at and drive your car every day. Another thing to remember is that some modifications make maintenance more expensive. For example, if you go with 20" wheels, the tires are MUCH more expensive than the stock size. It already looks like you've sat down and considered what you want to do to your Taurus, and that is good. Again, just make sure it's what YOU really want.

Sorry about the paragraph!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Everyone!! Sousa I obviously don't own my dads car (yet) i've got a few months before my permit. The car is beige and the first thing I want to do to it is repaint it maybe a darker blue or a burgundy. There is this dent in the door, my dad said its totaled and they would mix paint or something when they fix it to paint the doors. Im kind of confused on that subject.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Welcome. I would agree with the others. Do what you want to your car because it's yours. If someone else has a problem with it, it's their problem.

My personal taste is that I don't like the glue-on mods. I have seen fake portholes and hood scoops at WalMart. Then I have seen them actually on cars. I personally thought they made the car look cheap.

My suggestion is that before you spend money on any mods, make sure everything mechanically is in good condition. You don't want to spend all your money on mods, then have the car break down and not have the money to fix it.

I have done a lot to my Taurus, but I try to stick to a rule. Do what I need to get done, before I do what I want to get done. Then I continue to do maintenance work.

A boring car that runs is better than a modified car that doesn't.

Having said all that, check out my garage for a list of things I have done to my ride so far, and also check out my profile. I have a photo album there with 14 pics of things I have done to my Taurus. Maybe you will get some ideas.

Feel free to send me a personal message if you have any questions about what I have done and I'd be happy to share my thoughts and ideas.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! There are very few things wrong with it...

dent between driver and passenger doors
weird rattle at idle especially during cold weather
some squeeking when steering wheel is turned completely

Something is complicated with fixing the dent and whether to mix paint or not. Any Ideas on that? My dad got T-Boned pulling out of the parking lot at his work, not serious it's just a big dent that messed up the front door. When closing it you have to pull harder than normal but not slam. Thats about all the problems

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
a pic would be nice of the dent. depending on what it looks like and where it is it might be easy to fix. its not good to turn the wheel all the way to "lock" it puts strain on the system but it shouldnt squeek. as far as rattle at idle it could be a couple of different things. if you can narrow down the rattle we can help you fix it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The wheel is a chronic thing, we almost always have to do a u-turn when going somehere. a picture will be up soon

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Sure, or Photobucket, Imageshack, etc.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
yeah.... that needs to be replaced, pushing it will crack the paint and lead to rust. body shop would charge way to much. as long as the frame isnt bent (unibody frame roof and underbody) you can get doors from a jy and replace them fairly quickly with basic hand tools and an extra set of hands.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts