Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently acquired a 92 GL with a 3.0 vulcan and soon as i did...i started looking for parts, go fast parts. i found some but i am rather disappointed from the lack of support from the aftermarket.

what i have found is plenty of ignition parts, accel, MSD, etc. i have two coils to choose from, the MSD and the accel super coil. which one is the better choice? they both put out 48,000 volts but their primary and secondary resistance numbers are different. now i've used accel coils before and i know they work but i've never used an MSD coil. i might go with the accel coil because of my previous experience with them. who has which coil? who's tried them both? is there any difference performance wise?

i also found a wire set, from MSD. not sure if i'll get them but i am keeping them in mind. i like moroso wires but they dont seem to have a custom fit set for this car....SOL i suppose.

i do plan on getting accel's cap and rotor kit, again, i've used a cap and rotor kit from them before and i wasnt disappointed.

i guess for now i'll be using regular autolite plugs. i just got a set of those and some borg warner wires and a borg warner cap and rotor.

i am wondering about an ignition box, i'm thinking i dont really need one.

what about an ignition module? holley has one, has anyone used it before? i havent seen any threads discussing it so i thought i'd ask here.

i've already replaced the old paper filter with one from accel, i guess thats my first mod but it doesnt count in my book. induction seems to be a real sticking point with these cars for some reason.

i did find some accel fuel injectors, has anyone used these or any after market injectors? i dont plan on force feeding this engine but i'm looking at all parts available to me. they also have an adjustable fuel regulator, that might come in handy huh? i doubt i need either of these though...

the exhaust sucks big time and mine needs to be worked on anyway so i looked into an exhaust...and none exists...can a SHO exhaust be worked to fit my application? i probably need to replace everything from the cat back (and the cat itself i'm sure) so i want get it done right/better. shy of finding something from the after market i'll probably go with stock tubing and an aftermarket muffler. i like the hooker maximum flow muffler, not sure if it will fit but i'm still looking around.

what about casper electronics throttle body plugin unit thats plugs in between the throttle boy and the harness? has anyone used this before? (i dont know if it plugs into a gen 2 but i'm asking anyway as the application covers my car's year)

i'm also looking into a chip for the computer, probably go with a superchip.

i am also looking into the suspension. KYB has some struts and shocks...what about springs? bolt in, not cut em yourself to make em fit springs, i'd prefer direct drop in springs but if need be i could be coerced into cutting some to fit. i dont want to lower, i just want a stiffer suspension (a little lowering is ok but that means i have to get camber plates and blah blah blah more money and more work), this nose diving on braking and leaning back on acceleration is getting annoying. i did find some sway bars from p-s-t.com 1" in the front and 7/8" in the back. other than what i've mentioned i havent found much else, not that i've done a lot of looking mind you.

i havent even looked into the transmission yet...thats the part i'm dreading the most, i know its not gonna be cheap!

i guess this is enough to discuss for now. i'm sure i'll bring up a lot more later.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Wow man... sounds like you have some plans for this one! Let me be the first to say, welcome to the

So far as your springs go, you can try the Moog cargo springs or OEM police-spec.

Transmission should be high on your list of priorities, it is the car's single biggest weak spot and can be helped along with a cooler.

Instead of a superchip right off the bat, look in our EEC tuning section before you buy.

The exhaust setup is slighty different than on the SHO cars, try the Engine forum for more specifics. A lot of Vulcan owners have benifited by removing the resonator and going with a freer-flowing muffler.

You mentioned induction, try removing your air silencer for a couple of free horses. It has been said that the Gen 4 car's intake will add 5-10 horses as well.

Don't forget about advanced timing, but you'll have to go premium. 15 degress was the max without drawbacks, IIRC.

There's a lot more but someone else can chime in too. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Wow is right! A truly ambitious first post!!
I'm no good for advice on mods, but I don't think you'll have any trouble finding plenty of good folks here who can help you....

Welcome to the club!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great first post. I need to check and see if any of those 92 3.0 vulcan parts will work with my 99 3.0 vulcan.

I'll be sure and keep an eye out for your mods. I just got my 99 last nite and already have plans next weekend to get all the fluids flushed and replaced and get everything on the maintennance side up to par first before I look at mods.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow man... sounds like you have some plans for this one! Let me be the first to say, welcome to the
.[/b]
thank you. yes i do have quite a few plans for this car. i havent owned a car yet that stayed stock for any memorable length of time. its the tim taylor syndrome, i need more power!

So far as your springs go, you can try the Moog cargo springs or OEM police-spec.[/b]
i'll check out moog, i know there springs are good and they'll drop right in no problem. and i havent been to the local napa in awhile...time to pay them a visit.

Transmission should be high on your list of priorities, it is the car's single biggest weak spot and can be helped along with a cooler.[/b]
i might check into a cooler sometime, not sure what else this thing might need, thats sorta why i'm holding off on it till later. that and experience has taught me messing with the transmission should come last as it is the most time consuming and i'd rather do the easier faster stuff first.

Instead of a superchip right off the bat, look in our EEC tuning section before you buy.[/b]
i might do some reading for the time being to familarize myself with some of the do's and donts.

The exhaust setup is slighty different than on the SHO cars, try the Engine forum for more specifics. A lot of Vulcan owners have benifited by removing the resonator and going with a freer-flowing muffler.[/b]
yeah i read about removing the resonator and it does seem the other cork is the muffler.

You mentioned induction, try removing your air silencer for a couple of free horses. It has been said that the Gen 4 car's intake will add 5-10 horses as well.[/b]
i looked for it last weekend to remove it, it doesnt have one. the MAF sensor is bolted up to the airbox lid (shouldnt it be closer to the throttle body for faster response from the computer? i know its just a few inches away but still!) and no silencer exists. sucking in air doesnt seem to be a problem for the moment (i notice a difference instantly with the accel air filter alone), neither does fue(after replacing what appeared to be the original fuel filter)but ignition does. the plugs wires cap and rotor havent been changed in about 3 years, i'd say its a little over due for a tune up and thats planned for this weekend. the ignition does seem a little weak and it doesnt surprise me. i also found in my latest summit catalog summit now sells a TFI coil for 33 bucks under their own name now. its in the new parts section. only puts out 40,000 volts compared to the accel and MSD coils though...not sure if a cheaper price is worth it compared to less voltage than the other two...you get what you pay for...

Don't forget about advanced timing, but you'll have to go premium. 15 degress was the max without drawbacks, IIRC.[/b]
i'll look into that, i dont have a timing light so that'll have to wait a while.

thanks to everyone else for replying. i am rather ambitious with this car and for good reason, it gives me a chance to work with an EFI car for a change. this engine is also still very strong, the previous owner never really laid into the pedal (they grannyed is basically) and its ready for some modding and flogging. first i have to do some basic maintenance on it and then i'm getting into the mods, which shouldnt take long. a month or so.

i already checked out the MPG, its around 16-17 MPG which doesnt seem bad but i think i can make it a little better. although i saw a new expedition on the road today with the window sticker that said 13 city and 17 highway for its MPG...ouch! i dont feel so bad about getting 16-17 in my taurus anymore.

i need tires! i MIGHT go with some regatta II's from goodyear, i must have put on a million sets of those tires and they arent bad and for 61 bucks a piece from tirerack.com the price isnt bad. local shops have quoted me prices up to 400 bucks for a set of them. and those are on sale prices...WTF? i'm probably going to go with these as they are fairly cheap and will get me by for quite a while (its a 75,000 mile tire) so i can save up for some bigger wheels later.

as far as brakes go i might not do anything special, i might run some ceramics or regular bendix pads, the brakes seem pretty capable of stopping this car in a hurry.

the cooling system is good, i flushed it a couple weeks ago and i replaced the radiator a couple years ago for the previous owner so i know its ok. and the idiot gauge says its cooling fine (it has a needle but no numbers, thus idiot gauge. its the idiot light's slightly smarter cousin)

now i did some checking...the CR on this engine is 9.25:1. is this correct? from what i read the sparkplug placement in the head allows it to run on 87 octane but would 89 or even dare i say 92/93 make it run a little better anyway? for now i've been using 87 octane and i did run berrymans fuel enjector cleaner after replacing the fuel filter (which was never replaced from what i've gathered)\

i told you i'd have more to say...told you so!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts