Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 Taurus OHV 56,000 miles - It seems like a simple installation - a new idler pulley and serpentine belt. My old idler bearings failed which apparently caused my serpentine belt to shred. I bought a replacement idler pulley and serpentine belt from Advance Auto. The replacement idler pulley is plastic. My original is metal. I installed the new idler pulley, tightened the bolt, and it would not turn. I thought, maybe it's because it is a cheap plastic pulley. So I called CarQuest who had a metal replacement idler pulley. I bought and installed this metal idler pulley, which looked almost exactly like the original one I took off. This pulley also would not turn when the bolt is tightened. There is a washer between the bolt and the pulley, but I don't think there was one between the pulley and the engine. I have read where other people have had this exact same problem, but I have not read any knowledgeable solutions. Neither of the autoparts places had any idea if another washer is required. Does anybody know why I am having this problem, and what is the correct solution?
Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
QUOTE (leapn @ May 26 2010, 05:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807080
97 Taurus OHV 56,000 miles - It seems like a simple installation - a new idler pulley and serpentine belt. My old idler bearings failed which apparently caused my serpentine belt to shred. I bought a replacement idler pulley and serpentine belt from Advance Auto. The replacement idler pulley is plastic. My original is metal. I installed the new idler pulley, tightened the bolt, and it would not turn. I thought, maybe it's because it is a cheap plastic pulley. So I called CarQuest who had a metal replacement idler pulley. I bought and installed this metal idler pulley, which looked almost exactly like the original one I took off. This pulley also would not turn when the bolt is tightened. There is a washer between the bolt and the pulley, but I don't think there was one between the pulley and the engine. I have read where other people have had this exact same problem, but I have not read any knowledgeable solutions. Neither of the autoparts places had any idea if another washer is required. Does anybody know why I am having this problem, and what is the correct solution?
Thanks[/b]
You need the washer i had a stupid time getting the old one off safley but i did and put it on the new pulley. the washer is needed so the pulley doesnt tighten to the engine block. Did you throw the washer away? if so i think junk yards may have em or you coudl simply try to match up a new washer from a hardware store.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (TAURUSGLV6 @ May 26 2010, 06:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807085
QUOTE (leapn @ May 26 2010, 05:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807080
Thanks[/b]
You need the washer i had a stupid time getting the old one off safley but i did and put it on the new pulley. the washer is needed so the pulley doesnt tighten to the engine block. Did you throw the washer away? if so i think junk yards may have em or you coudl simply try to match up a new washer from a hardware store.
[/b][/quote]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts