Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Ford/Volvo are going to running right with the competition on the 5 cylinder engines. They've got an I-5 making 218HP/236 ft/lbs in the new Volvo V50 coming out this Summer. Not sure if they had it before or not though. Saw it in Car & Driver.

http://apps.volvocars.us/V50/specs.asp

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by mikehawk@Apr 27 2004, 11:16 AM
My mom has an inline 5 cylinder in her 2002 volvo s-60, but I think it's only putting out around like 170hp.
That's cool. This new one has a turbo, so that must be where the extra power is coming from.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Volvo has had an inline-5 motor for a long, long time. Why Ford doesn't use it is beyond me. It would do well to replace the Vulcan as the base motor since Ford wants to drop OHV motors (Bad idea!). If you must put the cams above the heads, you should do it in an inline-5 or 6 design.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by Majisto@Apr 27 2004, 11:07 AM
Volvo has had an inline-5 motor for a long, long time. Why Ford doesn't use it is beyond me. It would do well to replace the Vulcan as the base motor since Ford wants to drop OHV motors (Bad idea!). If you must put the cams above the heads, you should do it in an inline-5 or 6 design.
Now that would be a hella cool idea. Give the Taurus a T-5 engine with around 220 hp, or even the N/a 5cyl engine with about 170 hp. I havent heard any really bad things about the Volvo 5's. However, I really havent heard bad things about the Vulcans either. eh... who knows.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Taurussetypes+Apr 27 2004, 02:00 PM-->QUOTE (Taurussetypes @ Apr 27 2004, 02:00 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Majisto
@Apr 27 2004, 11:07 AM
Volvo has had an inline-5 motor for a long, long time.  Why Ford doesn't use it is beyond me.  It would do well to replace the Vulcan as the base motor since Ford wants to drop OHV motors (Bad idea!).  If you must put the cams above the heads, you should do it in an inline-5 or 6 design.
Now that would be a hella cool idea. Give the Taurus a T-5 engine with around 220 hp, or even the N/a 5cyl engine with about 170 hp. I havent heard any really bad things about the Volvo 5's. However, I really havent heard bad things about the Vulcans either. eh... who knows.
[/b]
With the new turbo'ed one you could push up the boost a bit, too once you get it

I've heard nothing but good about Volvo's engines in the past, if there were a lot of known issues with them, I'm sure we would have heard something...

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Volvo seems to be the only one that has pushed the I-5 design in quite a long time. Though I think it is more of a sound and refinement issue than anything else...I-5's tend to get coarse sounding when they near redline. Who knows <_<

I saw a couple of S40's (sedan version of the V50), including the 6spd T5 with 17" wheels, when Volvo was doing a street promo campaign...really nice looking cars. The front takes a lot from the 3 series and the interior looks really cool.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by mikehawk@Apr 27 2004, 03:43 PM
Chevy is supposed to have some kind of inline 5 in their new colorado trucks.
Yeah I saw an ad for it in Car & Driver - and on the add they are VERY misleading. It says "With an Inline 5 cylinder more powerful than any 6 cylinder". Then in small print at the bottom it says - more powerful than any 6 cylinder in the GM lineup. Idiots.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225+Apr 27 2004, 02:56 PM-->QUOTE (jason8225 @ Apr 27 2004, 02:56 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-mikehawk
@Apr 27 2004, 03:43 PM
Yeah I saw an ad for it in Car & Driver - and on the add they are VERY misleading. It says "With an Inline 5 cylinder more powerful than any 6 cylinder". Then in small print at the bottom it says - more powerful than any 6 cylinder in the GM lineup. Idiots.
[/b]
Wow, that must be some badass motor if it's more powerful than the supercharged 3.8L.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by mikehawk+Apr 27 2004, 03:59 PM-->QUOTE (mikehawk @ Apr 27 2004, 03:59 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2004, 02:56 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-mikehawk
@Apr 27 2004, 03:43 PM

Wow, that must be some badass motor if it's more powerful than the supercharged 3.8L. [/b]
Sorry... they said "GM truck lineup"
still not bad though

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
What I want to know is why ford went to the V6 instead of an I5/6. BMW still uses the Inline 6 design in their 3 and 5 series cars, and they are quite exceptional. Is it all due to the cost or what?

And of course...GM can only compare to themselves. They have no competition with their weakling I5.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
V-6 isn't a bad idea. I think the I-6 is a better motor, but space is a big problem these days, and Inline-6es are just a pain when you want a short hood. The Vulcan V-6 will run 300K miles. We all know this, as well as the Cologne 4.0 motors in the Explorer which will run to the 200K+ mileage range.

I think Ford builds some strong V-6 engines actually. Yes, the BMW I-6 is great, but to be honest, it doesn't really make a lot of power.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I still remember the last REAL truck six cylinder, the Ford 300 incher. It had almost the torque of the 351 and more horsepower than the 302. A great engine...

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by Sablewagon@Apr 28 2004, 07:33 AM
I still remember the last REAL truck six cylinder, the Ford 300 incher. It had almost the torque of the 351 and more horsepower than the 302. A great engine...
I loved the 300 I-6, but damn did it sound like a tractor motor. It was very loud, and it couldn't rev for the life of it. Still, it was very strong, and could idle itself up a hill with a load attached. You try that with just about any DOHC motor and you'll be out of luck. It's shame Ford killed it for a stupid 4.2 Essex based V-6.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Majisto, I gota question about the Explorer (sorry off-topic). Remember I was replacing the Window Buttons, in that 96 Explorer Limited? Well I got the chance to take it for a spin and i have to say...it seems kinda ho-hum, not too much power. Its that OHV V6 with 160hp/4 sp auto. I hit the gas and it crept up to 4000rpm. Is it based off the vulcan? Is the Cologne motor any better than the vulcan? The woman is just thinking about selling so I'm just trying to keep options open.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by Nick986@Apr 28 2004, 02:43 PM
Majisto, I gota question about the Explorer (sorry off-topic). Remember I was replacing the Window Buttons, in that 96 Explorer Limited? Well I got the chance to take it for a spin and i have to say...it seems kinda ho-hum, not too much power. Its that OHV V6 with 160hp/4 sp auto. I hit the gas and it crept up to 4000rpm. Is it based off the vulcan? Is the Cologne motor any better than the vulcan? The woman is just thinking about selling so I'm just trying to keep options open.
Nono. The Cologne series of motors (2.6,2.8.2.9,4.0 V-6) are all built in Cologne Germany (What a shock). The 2.9 V-6 and the smaller motors saw action in the early Bronco IIs, and perhaps a few other vehicles including the Ranger. The Vulcan is an entirely different engine. I don't know of any other motors based off the 3.0 Vulcan. It's one of a kind.

The OHV V-6 is a pretty weak motor for a fairly heavy Explorer. It has good low-end, but much like the Vulcan, it does not breah well up high, so the acceleration is very slow. It's the same argument as Vulcan/Duratec. I think the SOHC is a better motor though. The OHV is too noisy, especially after 1999 when the wrist pins were changed. OHVs have this "marble in a can" rattle to them. Try and get an SOHC since they do not cost much more, and can even get better gas mileage.

As for whether it's better than the Vulcan...well, it depends on what you are looking for. Overall, the OHV is not. I think the SOHC 4.0 is on par with the Vulcan (It is a lot more powerful). Remember, the 4.0 SOHC is the new Mustang base engine. Ford wouldn't keep it around if it wasn't somewhat powerful.
I have 130K on my Explorer right now with the stock tranny (Yay for rear-drive Ford autos
) and the motor has held up amazingly well, but I don't know if it will go 300-400K miles like these Vulcans can do. SOHC has only been available since 1997. I am actually one of the oldest SOHC owners mileage wise on Explorer 4X4. Give me a few years to put more miles on, and I can tell you how it holds up. Judging by the OHVs, it should go at least 200K miles.

Still haven't found a V-6 than can out-last a Vulcan though.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Well Ill keep that in mind. Its just the fact that this explorer is the limited edition. all the gizmos and gadets to keep u busy, like that computer in the floor and the compass/temp gauge. and the jbl 6 disc aint bad either. Its just that OHV feels weak, course the gas pedal on it is super "flappy" You can stick ur foot behind it and pull ur foot towards you with the pedal on the ball of your foot for like 2 inches before it stops. Dealer says nothing wrong, I think the car is getting all the potential power or the wire is just realllly loose. She said shes selling it cheap cause its already been in a head on accident where the driver side of the car shifted back, so its all somewhat outa alignment if you look up close. PLus that creme color paint, if its dirty you never know. If i end up getting an explorer, Ill keep my eyes out a late 90's SOHC engine. What tranny goes with the SOHC 4 or 5 speed auto?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
SOHC always has the 5-speed 5R55E automatic. There is a problem with throttle cable slack in some Explorers. Take off your intake hose, and have somebody press the gas pedal while you check to see if the butterfly valve is opening all the way. If not, time to get some zipties.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yea this one u have like 1" of gas pedal to the floor if you know what I mean...looks like I'm gona be learning about the Explorer. I gota replace that whole Power Window button plastics. I tried to take off the handle last time but when i pulled towards me, 2 small cracks developed and it would not come off. I must be doing this wrong... Anyways, clips would not have fixed the problem, cause the idiot that owned the car before her smashed his fist into the power window button area all the time so its comepletly broken. Thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts