Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello gent's,

I'm new around here :), my fiancee owns a 2003 Taurus SES with no digital climate controls.

Yesterday after work my buddy and I decided to install her new HU. It's a KDC-HD545U and we used the Scosche OEM Adapter 00-up Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable . Everything went smooth until we ran into the orange wire for the climate lights. We followed the instructions and tapped into the ashtray light (Blue/White) on the 6pin harness that was just sitting there un-used (located to the left of the HU). First we tried using one of those clamps (wire goes in, the clamp pinches it and you can plug in the wire at the end).

When we turned the light switch to parking lights and then turned on headlights, it worked! Or so we thought.. I turned the light knob on/off to make sure the interior/parking/headlamps come on, then we noticed sometimes the cluster/climate light wouldn't come on, or the parking lights outside the car would flicker. When this happens, the usually lights that come on, on the Instrument Panel do come on (E-brake, seatbelt, etc).
Thinking maybe the clamp wasn't pinching the wire enough, we removed it and stripped the outside of the wire and tapped into it, we made sure it got a solid connection. Still did it :(, so we checked all of our wiring, the HU works fine, no issues, the problem is really random. Before we called it a night, the interior lights didn't come on once, out of 5 tries.

So now I'm puzzled, because could this problem have been there before and we just discovered it, since my fiancee doesn't really drive at night. Or what in the wiring could we have screwed up. When we wired the HU, we matched color for color and everything works. We even checked the 15A fuses and they're fine. We didn't use any butt connectors, we soldered the wires together and then wrapped them in electrical tape.

The only thing I can think of is, she has a remote start that controls the lights when the car is started via remote. The parking lights come on.

Any input/help would be greatly appreciated :) Sorry if any types or grammar errors, early in the morning :lol2:

·
Registered
587 Posts
did you ground the orange wire ? if you striped it back it may be that the orange wire is grounding out on something if it is just hanging. on my 1997 Taurus the orange wire is connected to the lights on the panel/ radio installation panel. it is not part of the radio circuit i think it controls the dimming and non dimming from your dimmer switch. if it is the wire i am thinking and should not be attached to the after market hu. there is usually another orange wire that that does not come with the harness so you skip that step. you may want to disconnect that wire from the after market hu and not use it and see if it works.

see all after market head unit come with dimming controls since the after market unit you installed was to big for the oem circuit you just skip that step that more then likely what is causing the dimming/flickering. because it can't support the after market unit. like i suggested disconnect it from the radio aftermarket unit and do not worry about it, you can manually dim the hu if needed. but do leave it connect to the face trim plate panel in other words the foot ball it is still connected to in the 1997 ford Taurus or a trapezoid type of shape on th newer ones.

i am betting it is attached to the after market hu but just not sure no pic's so just disconnect it from the hu. also leave connected to the face plate trim panel. sorry for repeating my self several times there was info in between the posts.

common head unit wires are
red = power
black= ground
yellow = memory
orange =dimmer not use on some vehicles
blue = remote turn on for antenna and amps all it is is a switched power source like the fuse for the radio can be taped into to get a switched source.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The headunit doesn't have a orange wire. I even checked the manual to verify.

The orange wire comes from the mounting bracket.

Important note for 2000-2003 vehicles: The Orange
(illumination) wire from the blue harness on the back of
the receiver mounting bracket, must be spliced into the
Blue/White wire from the ashtray light.
That's what crutchfield instructions state. One important thing I forgot to mention was, I tried disconnecting the orange wire to blue/white and the problem still happened :( Thanks for the input tho!

·
Registered
587 Posts
could check fuse 5 a 5 amp fuse in the interior fuse panel. that is connected to lamp out warning module. the park stop lamps and a few dash lights according to my book. i got the haynes repair manual for the ford taurus / sable 1996 thru 2005. mite have had the key on and arked something too like a relay for the auto lamp park relay. i do not think it is some thing major but couild be some thing like the lamp out warning module. if you got that type in your car or even a light sensor amplifier. if you got the old style. point is you mite need a haynes to do some testing of that stuff. i was hoping it was the orange wire but like you know nothing is ever easy.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The headunit doesn't have a orange wire. I even checked the manual to verify.

The orange wire comes from the mounting bracket.

That's what crutchfield instructions state. One important thing I forgot to mention was, I tried disconnecting the orange wire to blue/white and the problem still happened :( Thanks for the input tho!

also wondering does the head unit work after the wire is disconnected normaly. if it works normaly disconnected you maybe revese flowing power or back traking threw the circuit because of a typo at crutchfield. you may have fried some thing. like i said before nothing is easy. :rolleyes2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts