Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks, wondering if anyone can answer a question for me.

The transmission went out on my 99 taurus(love this car), decided that financially it made more sense for me to have a new tranny put in rather than buying a new car.

Here is the issue, the transmission that I went with requires an inline filter from the transmission cooler to the transmission. Everything was installed in the car, and the tech took it out for a test drive. Car looked and sounded great as he took off. Less than 15 minutes later, here comes my car limping in, barely moving.. People at the shop couldn't figure out what the problem was, hooked it up to all the testers, showing no problems. Then I overheard the tech telling the owner "when I put the fluid in, it only took 10 quarts and was showing that it was 2 quarts overfilled". He also stated that he was going to check the fluid again AFTER the test drive..

Does that make any sense to anyone? What kind of damage could that do to the transmission? Anyone know that if the inline filter was installed on the outflow pipe, pointing towards the transmission, instead of the inbound if that would restrict the flow of fluid enough to cause catastrophic failure?

Any help would be appreciated..

Just realized, probably the wrong forum... sorry folks..

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
was it a new trans. rebuilt. junk yard???? yes installing the filter wrong will cause lots of problems and possible damage depending on how he drove it and for how long... why was this filter required?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was it a new trans. rebuilt. junk yard???? yes installing the filter wrong will cause lots of problems and possible damage depending on how he drove it and for how long... why was this filter required?
Remanufacture Trans, from what I understand he only drove maybe 3-5 miles, and the filter is required to keep the warranty intact.. one of those things from the manufacturer...

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
if i remember right the trans holds 12 qts of fluid on that yr... he said he put in 10 and it was over.... im thinking he didnt cycle the trans while running then check. checking cold with out running will give a bad reading on the stick. if this is true he ran your trans 2 qts low. as far as damage while running low on fluid depends on how well the trans was rebuilt and parts used as well as the person driving it. if he was smart enough to limp back with out trying to do the speed limit there might not be any

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if i remember right the trans holds 12 qts of fluid on that yr... he said he put in 10 and it was over.... im thinking he didnt cycle the trans while running then check. checking cold with out running will give a bad reading on the stick. if this is true he ran your trans 2 qts low. as far as damage while running low on fluid depends on how well the trans was rebuilt and parts used as well as the person driving it. if he was smart enough to limp back with out trying to do the speed limit there might not be any
I appreciate the response. Since this happened yesterday things have just seemed very odd, but they are going to try to make a warranty claim on the tranny. If it turns out that they did damage to the unit, I guess the manufacturer will be able to tell. I just thought that them test driving the car when the fluid levels weren't quite right was odd.

Also, the AX4N transmission requires 13.5 qts...

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the 13.5 includes the torque converter and cooler... after you install the trans the ave is roughly 12... sorry if i wasnt clear about the fluid. if the company says it will not cover the trans its the shops fault.... dont let them try to say you have to pay a dime more then what you already have... they messed it up so no more labor charges. if they do cover the trans then they will try to make you pay more

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the 13.5 includes the torque converter and cooler... after you install the trans the ave is roughly 12... sorry if i wasnt clear about the fluid. if the company says it will not cover the trans its the shops fault.... dont let them try to say you have to pay a dime more then what you already have... they messed it up so no more labor charges. if they do cover the trans then they will try to make you pay more
Oh, no doubt about that, if they messed up, they are going to pay.. and they will have a seriously angry customer on their hands, they have already had the car for a week, and frankly, I miss my baby...
:D

Thanks for the help..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts