Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to finally join a forum where I can find out info on my nice lil bull

Heres some back story for y'all.

I grew up in a family that had always stuck with american cars. But the two most memorable ones my family has had other than our 1993 Chevy Conversion Van was the 1993 Ford Taurus Station Wagon and the 2007 Ford Taurus SEL. Both were very nice cars. The 1993 one was purchased in 1996 just after my parents married. They used it as the family car up until me and my twin brother were born. The car even had a car phone! Because federal regulators did not make it safe for four child seats in the rear bench and reverse bench they had to get another car. My dad used it as his work car until 2001. In 2011 we purchased a 2007 Ford Taurus SEL. It was the viechle I look back at most fondly. Fairly spacious, quiet, roomy and functional. It survived two major accidents. The first one was in Febuary 2014 and totaled the hyundai that rear ended it. My brother was fine with only a bit of whiplash. Mind you the hyundai had rear ended the Taurus at about 45-50 mph. The car lost about 50% of its rear bumper and its bumper was slightly torn on the side, but it still ran great and after some cheap band aid fixes the bumper functioned fine. My dad had just repaired the ECM of the vehicle (which cost an ASTOUNDINGLY EXPENSIVE $1500(WITH a friends and family mechanic discount) ) and 3 days later was rear ended in a 5 car pileup on an onramp. Three cars ran into my dad at around 35-40 mph. Completely totaled the vehicle. It was sad because my parents were starting to save up for a new car and were going to give that to my older brother as his first car.

My dad later got a 2016 Ford Fusion S

My two brothers both got a 2007 Mercury Milan Premier (Damn nice car but has some issues) and a 2008 Nissan Altima S 3.5 (Its stylish but CVT, ewww)

I however had yet to receive a car. My grandpa before he died in 2017 had bought my other brothers their cars as in his mind a nice car is a must have for anybody. My grandma suddenly brought me to a dealership and told me she like the '08 fusion on the lot. I went there and toured around, but then I looked across and saw the lovely 2008 Black Ford Taurus SEL sitting there. I sat in and KNEW I would want this car. It was spacious, roomy and an incredibly nice ride. I am 6'6 and while I can suffer through my dads fusion which has an incredibly tight cieling, this car there is ROOM TO SPARE.... I brought my dad and he test drove both. The bull had an non-fault accident early in its life that resulted in some moderate damage on its right side. It was fully repaired. The fusion was completely taken care of. But something just told me I wanted the bull.

Both cars priced at $5900.... Taurus having 103300 miles and the Fusion having 102500 miles.

After some debate and some insights from our family mechanic whom stated to get it ASAP as these are among the most reliable ford sedans ever built and do not last long on the lot... it was decided.

And on March 27th, 2018 I became the proud owner of a 2008 Ford Taurus SEL.

Now up to 116,600 miles (YES, I drive A LOT for an 18 year old) I have had some things done for it since purchasing.
I use Valvoline maxlife full synthetic 5W 20 (I go full synthetic for the benefits plus it lasts longer which I need for my consistent driving)
Valvoline radiator flush
Mechanic transmission flush
All four rotors replaced and brakes serviced

The only things I know I am going to have to do is have a full brake pad replacement. Rear left brake pad seems to leave squealing like no tomorrow.

But lemme tell you I just love this car. With an 80/20 highway city driving I average around 24.5 MPG. Reseted around 3k miles ago so fairly accurate. The tranny has had a few times of worrying signs (slipping signficantly from first to second gear after two weeks of not running) but has overall been good. I love the acceleration on this thing. I have timed a 0-60 of around 6.3 seconds in the car. It is WAY faster than it looks. It is spacious and a car my friends love to travel in. The keyless entry system is one I use frequently. And it just looks very sharp.

It is one great first car to have and I plan on having it until it dies.

So theres an introduction.... what would you tell me to look out for in my car. I treat it pretty well and do mostly highway driving.

Thank you!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Welcome.

You didn’t mention it so I don’t know if you know this or not. While the synthetic oil will last longer, you still need to switch the filter which usually requires adding a quart of oil.

Sent from some little thing I hear voices from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome.

You didn’t mention it so I don’t know if you know this or not. While the synthetic oil will last longer, you still need to switch the filter which usually requires adding a quart of oil.

Good to know, I have switched out my synthetic oil around every 4-5k so far but may want to stretch that to 7k so changing the oil filter may be becoming more neccesse est if I try to stretch it out a little.

You think with me driving so much synthetic is truly a good idea? I see it as costing me less over the long run.

Thank you for the welcome.... Im gonna try to get some pictures of my car soon haha. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
You think with me driving so much synthetic is truly a good idea? I see it as costing me less over the long run.

I like to support local merchants, so if something is close in price, maybe 10-20% more even, I’ll buy it locally. That said, regular oil from a local store is more expensive than what I consider a premium brand (Mobil1) full synthetic on Amazon. I end up buying from Amazon. You can probably stretch it to 7K or 8K miles, and change the filter midlife. If you start doing a lot more city, reevaluate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts