Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey listen I'll be the first to tell you I don't know much about these cars, But I can build the hell out of 302 carbed mustang and have learned alot on f/i mustangs to ,but I dont even know witch motor my '99 3.0l Turaus has in it . It does not have DOHC on the valvue cocover so I usume it's a single cam motor what can you tell me about it? does it have one of the silancer in the air box in it? I have allready pulled off the piese that look like a big pipe that ran under under the bumper , but I left the tube that run downin front of the tire (d/s) off the air intake. should I have taken more off?

thanks, and happy to be here,
chris

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Gen1 is 86-91 - Gen2 is 92-95 - Gen3 is 96-99 - Gen4 is 00-04

So you would have a Gen3. And it sounds like you have the Vulcan OHV engine.

3.0 liter OHV, V-6: Horsepower, SAE net: 140 @ 4800 rpm
Torque, SAE net: 160lb.-ft. @ 3000 rpm

As far as the intake silencer goes, it sounds like you removed the silencer if you have already removed the large bulb like portion of the pipe that comes out of the air box. It's up to you if you chose to leave the rest of the pipe that goes through the fenderwall or not. It will sound better if you remove it but you will be more likely to suck in warmer engine air.

If you haven't already make sure you add an Aux trans cooler to keep that transmission alive longer. The key to making these cars last if the regular maintenance.

BTW, Welcome to the TCCA!!!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
First of all, Welcome to the club Chris!!!!!!!!!
From what you stated your '99 has the 3.0L vulcan which IS an ohv engine, and it seems that you have already removed the most from the air system without going with a true CAI. Soooo, browse around, I'm sure you'll find plenty of other stuff to do to yer' ride.

Rudy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts