Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i bought a '92 Taurus GL with the 3.8 liter and 192 xxx kms on the odo, i already found out what the "clunk" noise is when i step on the gas or brake ( motor mounts) my other problem is i tried the car out before i bought it ($1000 cdn) everything worked good, but last night on my way home i tried to put the high beams on and nothing, if i want to just "flash" someone they work but not to drive on high beams...any ideas what the problem could be ?

Anyway it runs pretty good for a 12 years old car, next week end i'm going to do a full tune up ( plugs, wires. coil. all the filters and clean the injectors) is there any plugs you guys recommend, i wanted to get the tranny fluid flushed and put in new one but the mechanic told me that it's not recommended for a vehicule with that much mileage if the previous owner never did it before... any truth to this story.

Sorry for the long post guys and all the help is greatly appreciated.

-Eric

·
Registered
43 Posts
Push the high beam contol lever forward instead of pulling back. It should click and hold the high beams on.

G

·
Welcome to the club. :)

Hey guys i bought a '92 Taurus GL with the 3.8 liter and 192 xxx kms on the odo, i already found out what the "clunk" noise is when i step on the gas or brake ( motor mounts) my other problem is i tried the car out before i bought it ($1000 cdn) everything worked good, but last night on my way home i tried to put the high beams on and nothing, if i want to just "flash" someone they work but not to drive on high beams...any ideas what the problem could be ?
Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you about the lights, but try what Viper said and if that doesn't work I'm sure somebody will be able to give you a few tips.

Anyway it runs pretty good for a 12 years old car, next week end i'm going to do a full tune up ( plugs, wires. coil. all the filters and clean the injectors) is there any plugs you guys recommend,
I would go with whatever OEM part is recommended. AFAIK people around here have had the best luck with Motorcraft and Autolite (made by Motorcraft/Ford) regular platinums.

i wanted to get the tranny fluid flushed and put in new one but the mechanic told me that it's not recommended for a vehicule with that much mileage if the previous owner never did it before... any truth to this story.
There is truth to what your mechanic is telling you. Sometimes on a car that has never had the fluid changed, when it's that old there are particles in there that are the only thing keeping it going. Once you flush it, you lose the particles getting you friction to make it work. You have to decide if its worth the risk and if you think it was maintained or not. However, that is pretty impressive mileage to be on the original tranny, especially with that year. If I had to guess, I'd say it was probably maintained (at least to some extent), but that's just my speculation.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your car! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by viper@Jul 5 2004, 11:49 AM
Push the high beam contol lever forward instead of pulling back.  It should click and hold the high beams on.
Yeah , that's what i ment , when i pull on the lever to flash somebody the high beams work but if i push on it to leave them on, they don't work, i was wondering if it could be a fuse and if anybody here knew which one it is.

thanks for the help guys very much appreciated B)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Welcome to the Club!

I have a 93 Taurus GL and when I bought the car the Highbeams didn't work. The guy I bought it from replaced the switch and now they work just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts