Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all....glad i found a website for Taurus owners....I have a 3.8 Litre Taurus Gl with all the basic goodies(power windows, locks and seat). Its just now got 65,000 miles and it had 49,000 miles when i got it. Ive done alittle bit of work on it and had to replace a few things. heres a list of what work I've done....

-New Plugs and all the ignition parts

-Tension pulley

-belt

-Water Pump

-Valve Job

-power steering lines

....thats just about it...any suggestions on how to get my Taurus a few more HP??...its already suprised a few ricers but i want alittle more go from my bull

·
Registered
478 Posts
be careful with your head gasket.....IIRC they are severly prone to go on 3.8 litres.....for hp, you can always add a cold air intake(filter in the fenderwell), aftermarket mufflers.....torque strap(see modifications for instructions for this)...umm......nothing else comes to mind...but some more experienced people around here will be able to cover what i missed..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah...thats what the guy at O'Reilys said....found what caused it to go though...the tubing that goes from the bottom of the radiator to the water pump was CORRODED badly....replaced that along with the water pump and the raditaor hoses....made sense to do it while the engine was all broken down...that is not a very spacious engine compartment to work on when its all together...changin the back spark plugs and cables was a pin in the azz <_< .....but its all runnin smooth as silk now and the engine has less than 70k on it...now i just gotta get new struts...any suggestons on the best brands to use?

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
If you're a real mechanical go-getter, you can supercharge the car with junkyard parts from Thunderbird SC's. They used the RWD 3.8 block and a Roots-style Eaton M90 SC. To my knowledge, there are three people, two from this site, that have accomplished this.

You can also inquire to the Police-package parts, those were 3.8 cars.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
3.8's for ever!! :D A quick way to get a little extra punch in the higher RPM's is to remove the two (thats right, two) restrictor cones in the air box assembly. You may have seen the first one already- the one going from the airbox to the driverside fender, but if you open up the box, you'll find another cone in the top half of the box- you can twist that out. It should help the breathing of the 3.8, which as you may have noticed, seems to choke after 4.5k or so...

A cheap alternative to lowering springs, if you want to redo the suspension, are SHO springs and MOOG cargo coils- they have a higher spring rate which should give better handling while retaining the ride height.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts