Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy y'all! Before I left for Iraq I sold my 97 Cougar. Well I came home and my mom gave me her 99 Taurus SE 3.0 Duratec w/ 53K. The car is well maintained. I have a few questions about my car.

1. A.From what I understand I can not replace the stereo since it has climate control. Is that true?
B. I would like to have a CD changer, my stereo has CD controls. Is there an after market company that will work with the factory radio? I don't like the sound out of the RF CD changer units.

2. Is it ok to use synthetic blend oil in the motor?

3. How come my Taurus has a single tail pipe and others with the same motor have duals? My mom's '04 Taurus SEL has the same motor and has a single too. Not a real big deal, just think the duals look better.

4. Are the 3.0 Duratec motors pretty solid? Why I ask is because I will have this car a long time.

I think this is a great forum and thanks for your posts!

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Congrats on the Taurus.

1. If you have the electric climate control (ECC) then yes it is much more difficult to change out the radio. There are a few manufacturers of OEM CD changers. I think Neochanger is one of them. I've seen them at Best Buy

2. Yes

3. I believe in 99 they changed it to 1 tailpipe, not 100% sure on that. I know my 98 Duratec came stock with duals. Search around, lots of people have put in custom Y pipes and dual Flowmasters.

4. Others can answer this one better, but I have 67k on my Duratec, no problems yet, knock on wood.

If you spend any time here, you will get addicted. I have. Tons of nice people with an overwhelming amount of knowledge and info.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dan,

Welcome home.

This is the 4th Taurus/Sable I've owned. I've driven each to over 120,000 miles with very few problems. When things break, they're fairly cheap and easy to fix.

However, there is one potential problem with these cars. The transmission. There have been a rash of tranny explosions with the 90's Tauri. Most with about 100,000 it seems. So the first thing I'd do is check your fluid and check your records to see when the trans fluid was last changed, if ever. Then do it or get it flushed, ASAP. Also, many here have added a transmission cooler (Cost about $40 if DIY) or $130 if someone puts it on for you.... to prevent a $1,500 tran repair.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Dan, this is topgunovrtx, welcome home and thank you for your service. You're a great American!

The M1 tank uses Mobil 1 and so should you in your engine. It can take the Iraq heat, like you, and keep on going. Synthetic blends are pretty good, but, if you are going to keep this car for the long term, use Mobil 1 or Amsoil. Would also recommend use of a Mobil 1 or Amsoil filter.

Agree with John in Charlotte that you want to change transmission fluid and filter ASAP. If you take care of the engine and transmission, everything else is peanuts. I would go with Amsoil ATF, since it's the only synthetic Mercon V-rated transmission fluid. I buy it from www.syntheticlubes.com.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey there fellow Military Member,

yes this forum is great for advice.

I happen to love my tec... Although, I've only put 5000 miles on it.

But anyhow, welcome back...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Dan, I meant to say that Amsoil is the only synthetic Mercon V-rated transmission fluid. Synthetics have a higher coefficient of heat and allow transmissions (bearings) to run much cooler. Heat becomes pretty much a non-issue with synthetics. That's why Corvettes got rid of their old oil cooler, when they switched over to Mobil 1.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
141k on my duratec... DPFE sensor, IMRC control box.... junk yard parts...$5 :D

Ive replaced axles, wheel bearings, power steering rack as welll....but thats my fault and we wont get into that :ph34r:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the warm welcomes, Thank you!

Noir04, OORAH!! There is plenty there! I am a USN Corpsman (combat medic) and my Marines were Full of Joy before we were pulled out. We were in for 12 months, but may go back... Were ready!

TopGun, I did not know they used Mobil 1 in the M1's, thanks for the intel.

I just had the oil changed and used a synthetic blend, nest change I will use Mobil 1. I will have the trans service done this week.

I looked on ebay at factory Ford CD changers, there is a few on there. Will I have to get a wire harness to install to the factory radio?

Thanks Again! :flag: "Corpsman Up"

·
Registered
629 Posts
Exxon-Mobil is the largest manufacturer of jet engine lubricants, of which all are synthetic, in the world, including those for Air Force One. Also, Exxon-Mobil pioneered development of synthetic wheel bearing greases (Mobilgrease 28) for low-temperature use on carrier aircraft in the north Atlantic. Exxon-Mobil is the leader in aviation fuels and lubricants! And, yes, for disclosure purposes, I am a happy long-term Exxon-Mobil shareholder. "Go Air Force . . . For the Shock and Awe of a Lifetime."

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I can't remember the name of the company I got my CD changer from, but it was some vendor on eBay. Cost about $125 and came with a cable and installation kit. Mounted changer, pulled back trunk liner and plugged it in and I was good to go. Originally installed in my 2000 LX, now in my 2004.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Hey man, you're a great American. Thank you for everything you have done in the past year! We all owe you and your comrades a debt of gratitude. You've been doing great things over there.

JR

·
Registered
359 Posts
:flag:

Welcome home, Dan, and welcome to the club! Thank you for your service to our country, you are a great American.

I love my Duratec. Its very solid and performs nicely. The tranny is a problem with a lot of the Taurus models, and a tranny cooler is always advised. I'm of the opinion that you can do more aesthetically with a '99 (Gen III) than a Gen IV like I have. Examples are SHO bumpers, and retrofitting HID (someone here did that and it was very nice).

Again, welcome to the club!

-Chris

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Welcome to the club Dan71. And of course, Thank You for serving our country to make it a better place.

Now about your car.
This is just my opinion. Keep the factory head unit so, you can keep the electronic climate controls (they look way better than the twisty knobs), put a aftermarket amp (for power) in and get a OEM or any kind of CD changer. Mine didn't come with one and just like you I saw the controls for it. SO I went to a place and told them I wanted one so it would work with the factory contorls. And that's what I got. They tuck nicely, up on top in the trunk.

They Duratec seems to be a farily tough motor. The trannys like most people have been saying are kinda crappy except for the AX4N. Which is what you have. They came with the duratecs and the SHOs from 96-99. I'm not saying their great but, it's the better one to have.

Yes the exhaust was cut dwon to single in the 99+ models. In 96-98 the Duratecs and SHOs came with duals. Add yes they do look better.

Also, where do you live (state). Their are members in mostly every state.
And 54K for miles, that's great.

See ya around

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Dan71,

Welcome home from a fellow combat medic (Army bullet sponge).

I have a '99 SE also. I have 81K on the car.

I've added dual exhaust from a '98. The only thing needed was the additional hanger.

I have run full synthetics since day one. I used Mobil 1 for a couple years and just recently switched to Royal Purple (which is available at AAFES BX/PX). I have not had any motor or tranny issues, although I just noticed the inner axle seal on the right side is begining to leak. I have installed a tranny cooler as well and kept up with the fluid and filter changes. Otherwise, the transmission shifts correctly and drives fine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
welcome Dan, and thank you for your service - you are one brave dude!
I support the troops.

for the duratec, OOHH What a Feeling! it's the funnest car since my
79 Camero. You are the king of the Road, you don't have to wait for
anyone. it is a very durable car and is built very solid, and just take care
of the tranny, and you'll have a great love affair.

warmest regards, dave in ohio

·
Registered
156 Posts
Originally posted by John in Charlotte@Aug 30 2004, 07:09 PM

And to Mr. 32...... Was this supposed to be a political board? 
Excuse me while I digress here for a moment.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts