Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just wanted to say I really love my new 96 taurus duratec 3.0 24 valve piece of awesomeness and vagina getter.

But I have so many repairs. But there is this one repair I have no idea how to fix. When I put my car in park, I will get an idle speed of about 1500 rpms. When I put car in neutral I get a speed of about 1300 rpms, and drive is about 850-900 rpms. When I am going about 40mph and take my foot off the accelerator the car fluctuates slowing going down in rpms then up again, then down some more for about 5 times until its decreases in rpms normally.

I cleaned the throttle body, throttle plates, and my windshield. I checked for leaks with throttle body cleaner by spraying manifolds and gaskets and I checked for leaks in the tubes and I found no leaks. I sprayed the MAF and no luck.

So being a DIYer I went to autozone bought a new Idle air control valve and it did not work. So I had to beg the autozone dude to take it back, I had to do some things I am not proud of to get that money back, but I got it.

I tried taking off my throttle position sensor and thats impossible to take off. So I hooked up a multimeter and see if reads okay, I think it does... the resistance seems to be smoothly transitioning when I turned the throttle.

Also my car jerks when shifting from park to drive or reverse to drive but never any other time.

I have no idea what to do next. Im scared and lonely and I have a hot date with a girl this weekend and I dont want her to know I have a high idle or she wont get me to second base.

PLease help! I will never get another girl in my life if my car isnt fixed.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Maybe a worn or gummed up stuck open PCV valve, or maybe it's connecting rubber elbow is dryrotted & cracked & leaking vacuum, which is common on this engine. It often goes bad on the bottom out of sight, where it's hottest.

Edit: BTW Welcome to TCCA!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks you reak of awesomeness! I already replaced the PVC but I did not replace the hose. I am going to check it once the sun comes out. I will post an update

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just tried what you said and it didnt work, but I did something crazy that you might not like. I changed the throttle adjustment screw. I know it sounds crazy but it worked. Maybe this was not the right thing to do but I tried everything else. Hope its all good. Thanks again for the help, so very much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts