Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I joined awhile back when we got our 1st Taurus, an 05 SEL. About a year ago, it burned to the ground in the driveway due to a faulty wiring harness or some such. Ford did nothing for us, but thankfully I hadn't got around to cancelling my full coverage insurance (had been paid off about 2 months, lol)

Now we've gotten our 2nd Taurus, an 03 SES. I mod everything I own, and vehicles that are a challenge to mod are right up my alley (got an 06 Titan 4x4 I've taken from stock 15.7 1/4 down to 13.6, and it's heading for low 12s)

Here's my plans so far:

New intake manifold and matching TB from Moreno Racing

New exhaust (Magnaflow hi-flow cat replacements for the ones close to the manifolds, 3rd cat and reso delete, hi-flow muffler)

Custom CAI

SCT X3 programmer with a custom tune

UDPs

Kooks custom headers

possible a stroker kit

A dry NOS system (seems our IM hates wet, will have to research the Moreno replacement more to see if this will still hold true)

Now, I have some questions for the more experienced Vulcan modders on here.

How much can our stock tranny really handle? I've seen the problems with Jet tuners and the like. Is there a relatively pain-free swap option that is less likely to detonate when I start pumping more ponies through it?

How interchangeable are aftermarket parts for the 3.0L Vulcan? The reason I ask is that there is a LOT more available for the Probe and Ranger. If even half of the Probe stuff is applicable, I'll have plenty to do for the next year. The Ranger guys seem to be doing good with the Whipple SC, and the Probe guys just have a crapload of stuff available.

And before any of you who for some reason might feel the need to post that this is not a sports car, I AM FULLY AWARE. Having a Camaro that hauls a$$ isn't nearly as attractive to me as a sleeper DD Taurus. :D

Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
good luck youll spend $5000 and get 30 more horsepower maybe 50 at extreme best assuming you have the vulcan making around at BEST 200 or 210 at the wheels but thats really pushing it, and the stock tranny is junk and probably wont handle too much nos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
...which is why I asked for suggestions on a fairly easy trans swap option, but thanks for your help. I'm doubting the stock trans will hold the added hp from the bolt-ons, much less the NOS.
I'll probably grab a 'tec motor and put on the bolt-ons before I swap. Actually, after researching a little more, I think swapping in an Essex will be my best bet.

And the NOS alone will add 30 to 50hp, as long as the drivetrain will take it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have an underdrive crank pully, rouge roller rockers, lower restriction exhaust, and an SCT tune on my '06 Vulcan with a gen2 SHO trans cooler and it's been holding up just fine. I also autocross my car and my driveablility hasn't been effected except for my tight-ass suspension.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, JATO. It's looking like to get what I want out of this thing it's either gonna be an Essex or V6 SHO engine swap.
It'll be a lot easier to modify the motor if it's sitting on a block outside the car.
Still going through everything on here, but some of what's worth finding isn't that easy to find.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
A SHO Manual swap would be a good transmission. You might be able to build up the transmission if you dump a couple grand into the ATX. No one has really built a Vulcan up to take out the ATX.

Most parts do not swap over from the Ranger or Probe at least not that I know of.

We do carry the UDP: SHO Source Vulcan Under Drive Pulley

1 - 6 of 6 Posts