Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2000 Taurus with 189k miles and I just blew the head gasket. I was thinking it may be easier to replace the motor with one with less miles, but is it possible to upgrade to a DOHC 3.0 instead of base 3.0 I have now (cost is almost the same)? I don't know if there are computer issues that would come with changing the motor type completely. I just thought that maybe the DOHC motors were better. Any advice would be greatly appretiated thank you. RL

·
Registered
670 Posts
Did you overheat the engine? Can you really afford to spend the extra money?

If its just a gasket then replace it and keep up on your maintenance. There are many documented Vulcans pushing over 400k miles when taken care of (keeping up with the camshaft pos sensor) and basic things they run forever.

I would not spend that much more money on a new engine, but without knowing the total cost of each it makes it a harder decision. Your engine is probably well worn in by now and good to go another 100k easy if you take care of it.

I would be more worried about your trans than your engine. A vulcan going 300k? no problem, a stock tranny going 300k without a rebuild? ya right

You don't want to spend all that money on the engine now and not have the money if the tranny takes a dump and have to scrap it. Or like me i just had my steering rack go out and spend about $1400 replacing that and some suspension bits, still running my engine and tranny stock without any issues @ 130k

1 - 3 of 3 Posts