Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine in my 1997 LX went into retirement due to lack of oil.My mechanic is replacing it with a 52000 mile motor.It is the same as the old one;3.0 Duratec.How much will this increase the value of the car?The old motor had 133000 miles on it.The car looks very good & rides good.The reason I'm asking is because I may increase the insurance coverage.It may turn out to be a better car than my wife's 2001 Grand Am.She's already pissed about that. :banana:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The current market value of your dead car is ZERO $$$.

Installing a working engine brings to market value of your car back to market value for a car with the mileage that yours has.

That is your increase in market value.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Swapping engines really dosen't increase a cars value to anyone but you. The car still has 130k+ miles on it meaning that there are a lot of switches, sensors, connectors, wires, suspension bushings, etc left to go bad. You can still start the car up after the repair and have a crank position sensor or distributor fail you at any time leaving you stranded on the side of the road.

Most problems with newer cars are electrical related anyways. Want an old car to be almost as reliable as new, just replace all the electrical stuff with new and your set. My friend bought an 86 V6 camaro a few years ago and had a new 0 mile motor swapped in. It's still breaking down all the time for electrical reasons.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
It'll be as valuable as my 93 with 189,000 miles on it with all new suspension components, all new bushings, all new brakes, an 07 engine ans a rebuilt trans. NOT!!!! You still got a ways to go to catch me, lol. As for it being a better car than the GA, well, we knew that, even with the blown engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts