Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i am creating this thread mainly because my other one is not getting much traffic anymore.

so for those of you that have not followed the other thread, my sable had a flickering oil light and instead of replacing the oil pump i opted to replace the engine. instead of going with a 2000 engine i found a 2004 engine with 20k miles on it. got everything swapped over and it is in the car and running but not very well.

it seems like it is missfiring or has a couple dead cylinders. STFT on both banks is about 30% at idle, with 22 degrees of timing advance at about 600 RPM. all the temps look good not too cold (not adding fuel because of a sensor) our 98 vulcan has a STFT of about 0 (plus or minus 4%) at idle for comparison.

as for what parts i used
from the 2000 i used;
wiring harness (had to extend cam sensor, dpfe, and ac contector harnesses)
coil packs (less than 500 miles on them)
fuel rail
lower intake

from the 04 engine i used;
all sensors except for dpfe, maf, and o2 sensors
fuel injectors
upper intake

for the cooling system i had to make it all into a 01 to 03 style with 2 coolant temp sensors

i am thinking i may swap the injectors back over because the 04 ones were sitting for a long time i am sure with fuel in them so they may just be plugged. i think i will do this tomorrow.
also i do not have a breather tube on the front valve cover yet and i just plugged the hole think that could be part of the problem? being that is is after the maf the air coming in from that tube should be calculated into everything but without it is doesnt realize its not getting the extra air.

if anyone else has any ideas or suggestions i am open to them i just hope it is not something internal that is wrong.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would say definitely connect all of the sensors and PCV tubes first. Even though it may seem irrelevant, when you have a problem you shouldn't assume - don't forget the sum is always greater then it's parts.
Next I would check compression of the cylinders and check that your fuel pressure is adequate... start with the easy and cheap ones first!

Is the car throwing any codes?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
swapping injectors did the trick just like i had hoped it runs great now!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts