Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2001 Taurus SEL w/146,000 miles. Great car but had an EGR code pop up. Took it to Auto Zone and had the guy there read the code with 5 possible reasons; 4 of the 5 were EGR valve related, so replaced it with a new one. There was no change in the performance of the car, ran fine before the EGR code came up, but thought perhaps the mpg might improve with a new EGR valve, the complete opposite happened; the gas milage is incredibly worse. What up???!! Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Are you sure the codes weren't indicating you actually needed a new DPFE...usually those are what go south on a Duratec. Do you still have codes? What were the codes the dude found @ the zone?

·
Registered
56 Posts
MPG with/without EGR

Never made an attempt to compare mpg on the same car with and without EGR, so I could provide only theoretical suggestion:
EGR system redirects some portion of exhaust gases back to intake, to reduce temperature in combustion chambers, and, as a result, to eliminate conditions for NO (nitrogen monoxide) emission.
As you can see, effect of EGR system on mpg should be rather negative than positive.

However, if your MPG now is lover than specified for your vehicle, it is clear sign that you have a problem, maybe not EGR-related. I don't think that properly working EGR system may significantly reduce MPG.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have to agree with Bull Geek and Alex. A propely functioning EGR shouldn't have a significant effect on fuel economy. I think the re-scanning the car and seeing if you have additional codes might be a good thing. Remember on Fords (and Chryslers) that you must repair codes in the order in which they appear.

I'm not saying that this is your issue, but simply as a maintanance thing, changing O2 sensors **can** have a significant effect on mileage. I changed mine out last year (no codes present, no CEL) and I immediatly got a 40 mile per tank improvement.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Probably the DPFE failed, it'll throw egr codes when it does. This part should be replaced with a Motorcraft part, as aftermarket ones tend to fail within a year (or months). My mother went through 3 DPFE's from Autozone on her Explorer, until I replaced it with a Motorcraft one last fall, becouse she couldn't find the last receipt. Still working perfectly.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Did you clean out the EGR passage in the throttle body? Real easy to get to, but often overlooked.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yeah, the valve itself rarely fails, but the DPFE is not that uncommon. Most EGR codes are caused by the sensor going bad. I can see an aftermarket EGR causing problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New EGR valve = mpg went south

Hey thanks guys, appreciate your responses; gives me a lot of new direction on getting my mpg back. Bull Geek, you asked what the code was, it came up P0401. You mentioned a DPFE, what does this do and where is it located, will certainly replace it considering its low cost. Danhasenauer, yeah, will check for blockage in the throttle body. Again, thanks to all for your input. In just quickly looking into this forum, I found the answer to the other dilemma I was having; the "low coolant" light coming on, awesome to have this kind of help. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
doesn't the 01 have a carbon composite intake and revised egr system that was supposed to eliminate that clogged egr port issue? simply curious....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts