Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So one thing that I never liked about the 6th gen was that the LED tubes were never used as a DRL, and fairly dim overall. When I got my '14, I knew I'd have to modify this. Fortunately I found www.drivebright.com already had this as a kit so I didn't have to spend time custom fabbing a set up.

I wanted something oem looking, and oem functioning that the average motorist wouldn't even know is not common. This kit is a new set of LED tubes, and related wiring and control Box. I also installed the courtesy light harness so the leds would come on when I unlock the doors.

Overall, I love how they look on my '14 limited. They also have the integrated turn signals as well. (You'll need to check website for pics of those) they also dim when headlamps are turned on.

Engine running

Courtesy lights After door unlock

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
I was looking at drivebright.

My main concern is there plenty of times when I wish the auto headlights would come on, but they don't. I also don't like using the headlights are DRLs. The lighttubes on the Taurus are a perfect place for DRLs. Glad to see it worked for you. If I get my mojo going, I might tackle it this summer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Install wasn't too bad. Took me a couple hours but I was chasing rugrats around while doing it.

Hardest part was figuring out some of the wiring. The colors that you tap into are clear, but the location of the harness is not.

Some tips:

Install the pass side LED tube first. Turn the wheel full left giving you access to the three screws and getting behind the tube. Run your wiring up, And done here. You'll tap into the turn signal but that can be accessed under the hood.

Then go to drivers side. Turn wheel full right and remove three fender liner screws. Install the LED tube. After that, you'll need to pull the airbox....bottom part as well. You can easily tap the turn signal and parking light wire (for courtesy lights) here.

The hard one is the headlight dimming wire. You need to reach up under the fender by the wheel well, unplug the headlight harness (4 wire plug) and pass it into the engine bay. It's barely long enough to get a tap on, but it can be done.

If I ha to do it again, I could do it less than 1 HR.

Only non oem thing about them...if you switch on the parking lights, the LED strip doesn't dim. It's full power until you switch on the headlights. This is due to the courtesy lights being wired into the parking lamps. If you splice the headlight dimmer wire into the parking lamps, they will dim when the parking lamps come on, but any time you unlock the doors, the courtesy lights will be of reduced power.

Your choice. I chose to wire as directed and prefer the brighter lights.

And yes they are bright. Full sun you can see them from far off. The leds are angled froward for a more frontal projection. And I like how the turn signal can be seen from the side now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the pics and the wiring tips! I've been sitting on the fence about ordering this kit from DaytimeBrightLights.com, but since you recommend them so highly I'm going to pull the trigger on these!

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Only negative I've heard about this kit, is that it will get moisture inside the tubes...my friend has them and they look great, but this is the 2nd time since he got the kit that it has gotten moisture inside...however, Daytime BrightLights did replace them the first time...not sure about what is happening this time.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still moisture free. No issues with the kit at all.

I've seen one SHO on the road locally with it as well

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Decided to go with the LED puddle lights and license plate lights as well. Really lights up the area around the ground at night when I unlock the doors

With headlights on, the DRLs dim so they aren't as overpowering

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update...

It's been 3 years since I've installed the kit. Everything is working perfectly fine. Never had a glitch or issue with the DRL kit or puddle lights. No water in the lenses...no issues at all.

The rear license plate LED's however died on me. Got replacements under warranty but they started flickering as well. They are gone, and some cheap Amazon LED's are in their place. When one starts to flicker, i replace it since I bought 10 or so.

But the puddle lights/DRL kit has performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
These are good lights, however they are prone (at least used to be) to getting moisture in them and causing them to behave weird. I have gone trough 2 sets now over 2 years. I am on my third. Dave happily replaced them each time, and even let me keep the old tubes (not like I can do anything with them) which I thought was nice.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've heard that a few times. I haven't experienced it and i've driven about 80K miles with them so far. No water inside yet (knock on wood).

Debating trading the car in and looking for a SHO. I will remove the kit prior to trade in and install on the next SHO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts