Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I was driving tonight (or morning, seeing it's like 4am here) back from a Denny's eating with a friend. When I wanted to show her the suspension in the car. Seeing I have Eibachs, KYBs and both front and rear SHO sways. I wanted to show her a trick I have up my sleeve. Well I didnt mean to exicute it. But I did, and I did it well!

So this is what happened. I was driving down a secluded road with no curbs, and thought I would do a 180 to make a "U-turn type" spin. Well I did it, no damage to cars, but lots of smoke coming from the UltraZs which performed QUITE WELL!

My friend gets freaked out, but in a good way. We stop on the oposite side of the road, facing straight, as though we were wanting to go in that direction the whole time. Look at each other and say "That was BADASS!" Then drive home talking about it. I was DAMN impressed on how the Sable handled it. I haven't done one of those since... well since the Pontiac Fiero, and it still didnt do it as well as the Sable did! I love it!

SableSal

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
So how fast were you going when you attempted this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going about 55-60 MPH when I went for it. Yes I used the e-brake. Used it slightly, til the rear wheels started to lock. tilted the steering wheel to the left a little, then it did the rest its self. It was a total blast! I loved it! I might attempt to do it again, but video tape it. Then not attempt it again. As much as it looks cool, it also HAS to damage something...

Sal

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I've done several of those in my old 98 Taurus SE (stock sway bar setup, and it did have a rear sway bar for being a rental car w/abs, and 4 wheel disc and vulcan). It seemed to be more content with doing that manuever then the Buick Regal which is just like "eh, you young whipper snapper". It was a fun car to drive, slow, but fun, come back fair Taurus.

This reminds me of how the Taurus also seemed to with ease powerslide in the snow filled parking lots, it was so easy to predict where the car would go with some e-brake, turn, e-brake off, throttle. So I tried this with a Monte Carlo and it crapped itself "ding ding ding service traction system" and even when that was deactivated completely (pulled out fuse because even when "off" it still is there to protect you) it still didnt wanna have fun. I haven't had a chance with the Buick but I can guess it wont be as fun with its Traction control off monitoring baloney, unless I pull the fuse..

edited for some grammar mistakes

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Yup, I've done plenty of those at lower speeds during rain and in the winter :p now try using the e-brake to pivot the car into a tight corner. Timing the e-brake and tilting the wheel is the key.

I've found that the Taurus is more apt to lock the rear wheels because its has more weight towards the front than most FWD cars. I've tried to de the handbrake thing on every car I get a chance to drive in (intrepid, the MPV, corolla, tracker, etc.) - the Taurus is the one that is most apt to follow you into these fits of jackassery :D .

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
"the Taurus is the one that is most apt to follow you into these fits of jackassery" thats hilarious, and so true.. I've done some pretty messed up things with that car, and it didnt seem to mind.

and 93TaurusSX, timing is the key thing, I had it down pretty good I could get complete 180's and drive away with no hesitation in the snow. I didnt do it on city streets tho, because of the chance a curb may destroy a balljoint or have its way with a lowercontrol arm, steering knuckle or what have you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah I guess I timed this one well. I want more practice, but not in the Sable. Maybe some **** car I find in the street somewhere.. lol

Sal

·
Registered
98 Posts
Originally posted by SableSal@Aug 5 2004, 04:45 AM
yeah I guess I timed this one well. I want more practice, but not in the Sable. Maybe some **** car I find in the street somewhere.. lol

Sal
That's what rental cars are made for..........

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
I did literally thousands of "J-turns" or "180s" in EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operation Course, just for those that didn't know) school. We used old cruisers that were Gen2s. We would accelerate to about 25-30 mph, apply the e-brake and turn the wheel about 1/4 of a turn, and whoop, there goes the rear end and you can see where you came from. We used old crown vics for the reverse 180s and the "Y" turns. The reverse 180s required you to accelerate to about 45-50 mph in reverse then turn wheel 180* once the front end comes around about half way (90*) then you put tranny in drive and accelerate, the front end will naturally come around completing the 180. This natural completion is due to the car's "caster effect" which all cars have. The "Y" turn is similar the to the "J" except that with the "J" you end up in the same lane, the "Y" turn you end up in the next lane over. These were all done under direct supervision, in a controled environment, I certainly don't advocate people doing this on public streets.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also went through the EVOC course for 2 weeks. We had skid cars, high speed courses, brake and turn and back up courses. Was a great two weeks, got to beat the crap out of the cruisers and see what they really can do.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
This past winter was my first winter driving. I've done plenty of stuff to live out all i dreamed of doing before my license (including a reversie with my moms 03 explorer!) Anyways, i eventually discovered sticking a lighter behind the parking break release wouldn't let it lock, and i put that thing to use. one night at like 12 or 1 in the morning me and and friend went into a subdivision and i was back there sliding all the corners rally style for like 45 minutes before i put in the bank. haha.
The sickest one was this really long slow corner that i still was able to kick out the back end slightly around the whole thing. Also when getting to one of those circular dead end turn arounds, id just throw the car into a 180 and head back the other way.
About the putting it in the bank. i took a 90 and the back end kicked out to far, hit the snow, threw the front end back into the snow. So as any of you might know with a sable, the bottom of the front end slows up from the front wheels and that caused the car to ride up the snow just enough to get my tires from getting grip. Just the weekend before i put the car in the ditch (black ice...honestly!) and wasn't about to pay another 60 dollars to get pulled out. As me and my friend were about to decided to poor a little gas in small increments and light it to melt the snow :D , someone finally showed up and neither of us had a rope.
so the retard tries to push the car. first the bank end. and cracked my tail light (hasn't been fixed yet). then tries the front end and pops the covers off a little bit on my headlights (and there brand new! and 130 bucks each at that!). the this really smart guy finds a tow rope in his trunk after saying he didn't have one. 2 minutes later i'm out and went home finally. *whew* sorry bout the long story. :rolleyes2:

p.s. i agree with everyone that said it. A tauras, sable is the most predictable vehicle when carrying out these acts of driving ability.
p.s.s. i got plenty of stories to tell, everything from cop incedents, to drag, to winter to summer...im having to much fun driving!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts