Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
the new taurus would look extremely mean and intimidating as a cop car, I think even more so than the Charger. An AWD model would be great for the northern states, our cops dont go out in bad storms, and with a Charger I dont blame them. Even the crown vics dont do terribly well in the snow.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
It wouldn't be cost effective to use the Taurus unless it's a stripped-down base model w/o the luxury appointments. Plus they'd need to figure out a way to mount a column shifter on it. Actually, it's not a bad idea if they can do it like that. I'd buy one.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
It wouldn't be cost effective to use the Taurus unless it's a stripped-down base model w/o the luxury appointments. Plus they'd need to figure out a way to mount a column shifter on it. Actually, it's not a bad idea if they can do it like that. I'd buy one.
[/b]
Retail Crown Vics were never cheap either... A Taurus SE is probably the same price as the Crown Vic was, if not a tad cheaper... AWD is probably the way to go, sorry Police!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
ya know, that just means the Taurus will have horrid resale value right?
I hop ford doesn't go berserk on the fleet status for the new Taurus.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
isnt a body on frame platform better than a unibody platform for a police unit?

·
Registered
285 Posts
The NC DMV has used 3rd and 4th gen Taurus for years.

And hey, the 1st gen Taurus was a cool cop car in Robocop! :notworthy:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Retail Crown Vics were never cheap either... A Taurus SE is probably the same price as the Crown Vic was, if not a tad cheaper... AWD is probably the way to go, sorry Police!
[/b][/quote]

Here's a PDF from the state of NY accepting bids from dealers to provide 500 2009 Crown Vics @ $20k each:
http://www.ogs.state.ny.us/purchase/bidresults/21412br.pdf

Here are the retail prices for 2007 Crown Vics (the last year for the non-fleet Crown Vic):
http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?se...mp;aff=national

Base: $24,620
LX: $27,615

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Here's a PDF from the state of NY accepting bids from dealers to provide 500 2009 Crown Vics @ $20k each:

Here are the retail prices for 2007 Crown Vics (the last year for the non-fleet Crown Vic):

[/b][/quote]

Just so I'm clear, that actually supports what I'm saying right? The next SE is supposed to start at 25k right?

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Just so I'm clear, that actually supports what I'm saying right? The next SE is supposed to start at 25k right?
[/b][/quote]

:unsure: I don't think so. Alex is saying that Police get them for cheaper than retail...making the CV's cheaper than the Taurus...

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
From the first link the state of NY is snapping up brand new CVPIs for $20,000 each which is $5000 less than retail.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

:unsure: I don't think so. Alex is saying that Police get them for cheaper than retail...making the CV's cheaper than the Taurus...
[/b][/quote]

Because they are buying 500 at a time... It's called "fleet sales"... I'm sure there would be a similar pricing structure for Tauri (if it became a police package that is)...

The down side of a car that is also a police package is that no one usually buys the retail version of the car... 9/10 Imaplas are police cars/taxis, 10/10 Crown Vics are police/taxis, and I'd say 8/10 Chargers are police cars (atleast here in Ontario)... If after 4 years, the new Taurus isn't a retail hit, and the Crown Vic continues to stagnate, I wouldn't be surprised to see Taurus police cars take over the segment...

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
ya know, that just means the Taurus will have horrid resale value right?
I hop ford doesn't go berserk on the fleet status for the new Taurus.
[/b]

So you buy a Taurus as an investment?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The down side of a car that is also a police package is that no one usually buys the retail version of the car... 9/10 Imaplas are police cars/taxis, 10/10 Crown Vics are police/taxis, and I'd say 8/10 Chargers are police cars (atleast here in Ontario)... If after 4 years, the new Taurus isn't a retail hit, and the Crown Vic continues to stagnate, I wouldn't be surprised to see Taurus police cars take over the segment...
[/b]
Right, that's the reason why no one bought '90-'95 Taurus sedans. Because it was used as a police car. :rolleyes2:

The main reason why no one's buying a brand new Crown Vic, Charger, or Impala is because of the perception of American cars and the depreciation. Obviously the Charger has quality issues. For the Crown Vic, it is a better deal to find a used one (if you really wanted one) with only senior citizens and fleets buying them new. The Impala is just big and bland. There's really nothing wrong with it.

FWIW, I see more civilian Impalas and Chargers than police packages.

·
Registered
41 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Right, that's the reason why no one bought '90-'95 Taurus sedans. Because it was used as a police car. :rolleyes2:

The main reason why no one's buying a brand new Crown Vic, Charger, or Impala is because of the perception of American cars and the depreciation. Obviously the Charger has quality issues. For the Crown Vic, it is a better deal to find a used one (if you really wanted one) with only senior citizens and fleets buying them new. The Impala is just big and bland. There's really nothing wrong with it.

[/b][/quote]

you cant go anywhere in the houston area without seeing a dozen chargers on the road

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

you cant go anywhere in the houston area without seeing a dozen chargers on the road
[/b][/quote]

with port holes on the fenders -_-

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

There are so many reasons why mentioning the police package Taurus has absolutely no bearing on my statement... 1, the Taurus was already a well-entrenched retail sales hit when they created the police version. 2, the Taurus was a flop with police agencies (which is why the cancelled it). In all my travels, I never once saw a Taurus police car in person... 3, police prefer cars that are RWD and fullsized, which the old Taurus was not. The new Taurus is much closer to a Crown Vic than the original generations. The old Taurus catered more to retail buyers who, in the 90s, wanted FWD mid sized sedans.

Also, most police package cars were designed to be a police package... When GM brought Impala back in the late 90s, they KNEW it was going to be offered as a police car. Even the 80s Impala/Caprice were designed to be police packages. The old Plymouth Gran Furys were designed to be police packages. Throughout the Crown Vic's lifetime, it has been designed to be a police package. Ford slapped a police package on an existing car (Taurus) in 1990 to replace the old, smaller, LTD. This explains why it failed as a police car, and why it's not really fair to apply my analogy to it. The reasons police packages aren't popular to retail customers is because they are mainly designed to appeal to a niche market (big, RWD and powerful, sans-luxury). The last generation Impala was just a POS (and ugly) so I think that's why it wasn't a retail hit...

About no one buying the retail variants of police packages because of a bad perception of reliability and depreciation is nonsense. If that were true, why do people still buy other American cars that AREN'T police packages? Compare the Fusion sales to the last year the Crown Vic was available to the public. If nobody bought American cars because of bad reliablity and deprection, the big 3 would have gone out of business 20 years ago...

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Speaking of Crown Vics...

Proof that the three-bar grill really is based on the Gillette Mach3. :grin2: As seen on the current Middle Eastern model.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
There are so many reasons why mentioning the police package Taurus has absolutely no bearing on my statement... 1, the Taurus was already a well-entrenched retail sales hit when they created the police version. 2, the Taurus was a flop with police agencies (which is why the cancelled it). In all my travels, I never once saw a Taurus police car in person... 3, police prefer cars that are RWD and fullsized, which the old Taurus was not. The new Taurus is much closer to a Crown Vic than the original generations. The old Taurus catered more to retail buyers who, in the 90s, wanted FWD mid sized sedans.

Also, most police package cars were designed to be a police package... When GM brought Impala back in the late 90s, they KNEW it was going to be offered as a police car. Even the 80s Impala/Caprice were designed to be police packages. The old Plymouth Gran Furys were designed to be police packages. Throughout the Crown Vic's lifetime, it has been designed to be a police package. Ford slapped a police package on an existing car (Taurus) in 1990 to replace the old, smaller, LTD. This explains why it failed as a police car, and why it's not really fair to apply my analogy to it. The reasons police packages aren't popular to retail customers is because they are mainly designed to appeal to a niche market (big, RWD and powerful, sans-luxury). The last generation Impala was just a POS (and ugly) so I think that's why it wasn't a retail hit...

About no one buying the retail variants of police packages because of a bad perception of reliability and depreciation is nonsense. If that were true, why do people still buy other American cars that AREN'T police packages? Compare the Fusion sales to the last year the Crown Vic was available to the public. If nobody bought American cars because of bad reliablity and deprection, the big 3 would have gone out of business 20 years ago...
[/b]
How is the new Taurus anyone close the the Crown Vic other than class size? The Crown Vic isn't luxurious, unibody, FWD, nor AWD. The new Taurus is still closer to the original Taurus than to the Crown Vic. It wasn't exactly a flop, it was much better than all the other FWD offerings.

And the full-size RWD cars aren't a flop because they were a police package. The '80s were a time when everyone wanted a FWD gas saver after the oil crisis. It was also the new thing at the time and people want new stuff. Minivans were also a hot commodity with families so the big station wagons had started to fall off the radar. The only people the big three could unload the full-size cars on are fleets. People still have the same perception of full-size cars.

The FWD Buick Century didn't offer a police package yet no one bragged about buying one. Nor the Malibu. Nor a plethora of mid-sized GM FWDs.

The new Charger wasn't originally designed to be a police car. It's built on an old Mercedes platform. The police package was an afterthought, but that's not the reason why you think no one wants one. I see a hell of a lot more civilian Chargers than police packages.

Just because the Impala has a police package doesn't mean it's a flop. It's just built on a dated platform from the late '80s. Again, I see more civilian Impalas than police packages. Its story is the same as the G4 Taurus. A car for the masses that's affordable with no extra fluff. Isn't that what you were complaining about the new Taurus? It's priced out of the price range of the average person?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
How is the new Taurus anyone close the the Crown Vic other than class size? The Crown Vic isn't luxurious, unibody, FWD, nor AWD. The new Taurus is still closer to the original Taurus than to the Crown Vic. It wasn't exactly a flop, it was much better than all the other FWD offerings.

And the full-size RWD cars aren't a flop because they were a police package. The '80s were a time when everyone wanted a FWD gas saver after the oil crisis. It was also the new thing at the time and people want new stuff. Minivans were also a hot commodity with families so the big station wagons had started to fall off the radar. The only people the big three could unload the full-size cars on are fleets. People still have the same perception of full-size cars.

The FWD Buick Century didn't offer a police package yet no one bragged about buying one. Nor the Malibu. Nor a plethora of mid-sized GM FWDs.

The new Charger wasn't originally designed to be a police car. It's built on an old Mercedes platform. The police package was an afterthought, but that's not the reason why you think no one wants one. I see a hell of a lot more civilian Chargers than police packages.

Just because the Impala has a police package doesn't mean it's a flop. It's just built on a dated platform from the late '80s. Again, I see more civilian Impalas than police packages. Its story is the same as the G4 Taurus. A car for the masses that's affordable with no extra fluff. Isn't that what you were complaining about the new Taurus? It's priced out of the price range of the average person?
[/b][/quote]

The size of the car is probably the most important characteristic when comparing the new Taurus to the Crown Vic from a police stand point... They like big cars... That is the new Taurus, the G1 and G2 police packages were smaller cars. Also, AWD is certainly alot closer to RWD than FWD is to RWD. So I think it's safe to say the police would rather have an AWD car vs a purely FWD one.

I've read that article about how the Taurus police package did better in the slalom and was faster than the Crown Vic too... I didn't say it wasn't a good car, but it was still a flop if all you consider is sales to police departments. FWD, mid size was a very tough sell to police agencies at that time (still is). I have to say I laughed a bit when you said it was better than the other similar offerings... What were the "similar offerings" from that era? A Chevy Lumina?

And I don't know what you are refering to when you said no one brags about a Century or a Malibu or other GM cars? Those cars were pretty popular, there's millions of Centurys up here, lots of Malibus, and Grand Ams were probably the most popular midsized GM car from the 90s... They are a different class from Caprices, Crown Vics and the like (that was my entire point)... Full size cars haven't been popular in decades and my argument was more that these cars catered to police/taxi fleet sales because they weren't profitable in the retail market alone... It's not that the big 3 have bad reps that no one bought these models, it was because they were essentially a "police" use model...

I disagree with you that the Charger wasn't built with a police package in mind... When they first came out, Dodge mass produced posters with the Chargers done up in police lights and markings... Member the "Dodge Police" promo pictures??

When that car was first announced, I remember reading literature on it that this car was going to be Chrysler's return into the police market... The Charger hasn't been out that long, but I am positive that the police version was announced/those promo pictures were distributed at the same time the retail versions went on sale... I don't know if there are alot of retails Chargers were you live, so I would never assume to say that they are majority police cars there... Where I live, there are few Charger police cars and few "civilian". Most of those are rental cars too. Maybe it's a culture thing, more Americans buying a big engine, RWD car than Canadians do... I've probably only seen one Challenger on the road since they came out too, but dozens on dealer lots...

About the Impala, with my line of thinking it would make sense that there are more civilian Impalas on the road than police/taxi... I agree, there are waaaay more civilian Impalas than there ever were civilian Crown Vics, but that's because it's a car more suited to young families... The police Impala is clearly more successful than the police Taurus was, but I think that's because after the Caprice went belly up, there wasn't any competition for the Crown Vic... Plus the Impala is more affordable to agencies hit by budget cuts...

About cars for the masses without fluff, I don't think that's true... The Fusion holds the Taurus' old segment and it comes with the regular options but nothing like "active motion seats" and push button starts... You can get leather, moonroof, AWD, climate control, heated seats and etc like that on a Fusion.. The G4 was just so badly neglected that it fell well behind the rest of the pack... Remember, the old Taurus had lots of fluff... Digital dash, leather, moonroof, power adjustable seats, cd changer, the Duratec engine and so on and so forth... Those were big things for gens 1-3...

My complaints about the new Taurus don't just start with the unveiling at NAIAS... It started years ago when the Taurus languished and Ford had some stupid new naming fetish that meant all their new models had to start with the letter F... The Taurus had it's segment stolen from it and that is what pisses me off... I love the new Taurus, but it's too big and expensive, no one is going to buy it. Only rental car agencies will be willing to buy them. Think if Toyota put the Camry out to farm in the Avalon's segment, as a full sized, $40000 car... There would be riots in the streets!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts