Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Taurus, 125,000 miles.

Last April 7, 2021 my GF had a new compressor and dryer installed on her car. Cost little over $1,100. Now, 14 months later, her AC is not blowing cold. Upton inspection I noticed that there was a leak of 134 at the joint noted in the photo with a red arrow. That is where the new dryer meets with the old parts. When they did the AC job they told me they will put in all new O-rings, which I assume they did.

I called the repair shop and they said (of course) the warrenty is only 12 months. I am thinking of having someone else check it but new guy suggested I buy the line going FROM the dryer fitting to the compressor (Yellow arrow) incase there is corrossion someplace. I can return the part if not needed.

My question is-- What is the name or part number of the line noted by the yellow arrow. Is that the AC discharge and suction line? I want to have the part handy incase we need it. Frankly, I think it is just bad/old O-rings.
Light Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to find the part number on the little tag and found a four-seasons brand replacement via Autozone. I'm still not sure the part itself is bad, though....I am gonna buy an extra set of 0-rings in case I have to return this part. Any thoughts/ideas always welcome. I put in a little freon this AM and when I shut the car, I hear a 'zizzzz' type of sound for about 15 seconds coming from deep inside engine compartment (not from this valve----not sure if that is anything or not.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
New o rings should fix it. There are two o rings and coat them with a little AC oil before inserting them. The fizzing noise is probably the liquid refrigerant passing through the orifice. The connection shouldn't be corroded because of the oil in the system.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New o rings should fix it. There are two o rings and coat them with a little AC oil before inserting them. The fizzing noise is probably the liquid refrigerant passing through the orifice. The connection shouldn't be corroded because of the oil in the system.
Thank you for your thoughts. I tend to agree it is just o-rings. They told me they changed them, but I was not there watching...and even if they did, it doesn't mean they used the correct ones.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Thank you for your thoughts. I tend to agree it is just o-rings. They told me they changed them, but I was not there watching...and even if they did, it doesn't mean they used the correct ones.
The only other issue is that the aftermarket part is slightly oversized and the o rings will not seal correctly. I had an issue with an aftermarket radiator where I changed it out two times under warranty because the PS cooler fitting o ring would not seal. I finally installed OEM fittings.
I believe there is a gel that can be added to the o rings to help seal.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only other issue is that the aftermarket part is slightly oversized and the o rings will not seal correctly. I had an issue with an aftermarket radiator where I changed it out two times under warranty because the PS cooler fitting o ring would not seal. I finally installed OEM fittings.
I believe there is a gel that can be added to the o rings to help seal.
well, that is particularly disturbing that the aftermarket is not made to spec. The invoice from last year shows a number 9632007 which is Global Parts Distributors (it seems)-- The new part I just bought is from four-seasons-- I noticed they all come with sets of o-rings. I can't imagine the original AC mechanic used the wrong o-rings,but anything is possible, I guess. That sealer is sold by a store just 8 mins from my home so I will pick it up Thursday and ask the new mechanic to use it regardless of what direction we go (o-ring change only, or replace that A/C hose that fits in the dryer valve)--- Looks like 3 o-rings get used, in fact.
Thank you again for your input and insights....and the gasket sealer idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts