Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am talking to a couple companies about having a custom ground cam made for my Vulcan. What do you guys think about it? Price? Ease of install? Performance gains?

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
With a gen 3/4 engine bay you ~Might~ be able to pull off a cam swap with the engine still in the car.

The 3.0L vulcan heads actually flow decent from the factory (unlike the 3.8's), so a cam swap might get you noticable gains.

Just make sure the exhaust duration doesn't get too wild, or you'll lose all your torque..

I'd talk to the ranger guys. Lots of them have done some real performance upgrades to the vulcan. By real I mean something other than a "CAI" LOL..

I think I was the first to toy with vulcan heads (on a taurus anyway) back in '97 with my '92 "L" model taurus. We shaved the block and heads a bit for more compression, and lightly ported (and port matched) the heads. I didn't do a cam though, because at the time nobody wanted to mess with regrinding a vulcan cam.

The bump in compression, and porting/matching we did was good enough to keep up with my mom's '93 LX 3.8L she had at the time.. It would even get some good scratch just by mashing the gas pedal.. The 3.0L is a good engine, just don't expect to get a lot out of it.

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Price? Custom-ground=$$$!

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that a custom grind will be expensive, but I don't think that using a cam designed for a ranger would work too well for a Taurus.

I am plannning on installing roller rockers at the same time (since the valvetrain has to come out anyway), so I was planning on matching the roller rockers to the cam. I may be able to use a ranger cam but match up the rockers to better suit the taurus.

G

·
The lift on a stock Vulcan cam is pathetic, somewhere around .25 inch. I don't think you'll be able to swap it with the engine in the car, though.

I'd say a little more lift, and duration, would help out some. Keep in mind though that what works for an MTX Ranger may not be suitable for an ATX. Your best bet would be to find out who makes the Ranger cams, and talk to them about your Taurus, and your expectations.

FYI: I've heard bad things about Morana, so don't take their word for anything. So far, I know of two instances that they've said roller rockers will bolt right in, and they don't. They will fit with minimal modification though. You'd need to mill about .100 of an inch off the pedestals to get the valvetrain geometry correct. They are a 1.7:1 ratio, and the stock Vulcan uses 1.6:1. Using these roller rockers will be almost like installing a higher lift cam, and it's a cheaper way out than pulling the engine to swap a cam.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I don't think changing a cam alone is worth all the hassle.. I'd do the 1.7:1 rockers, that way they bolt on and you can for sure do them with the engine in the car.

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk+Jul 26 2004, 06:05 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mikehawk @ Jul 26 2004, 06:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-SixFoFalcon@Jul 26 2004, 03:56 PM
Price?  Custom-ground=$$$!
My friend ordered a custom cut cam from lunati for a little over $200. But, then again, the cam was for a small block chevy, prices might be a little different for a vulcan.[/b][/quote]
Custom-grinds are getting cheaper these days, but that sounds like "semi-custom" to me... like they had already done a cam to those specs once or twice before. Especially considering there are literally hundreds of cam designs floating around for the SB chebby.

If it was a true one-off custom cam, kudos to your friend--that's a hell of a deal! :blink: :banana: In fact, PM me with the contact info... I'm doing a bit of an exotic project on the Falcon, and my only source for cams so far is in OZ.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i looked into a cam for myself and through discussions with tom at morana, he shared to get the biggest bang for your buck you should go with the roller rockers. they will give you the added duration and you don't have to pull the motor. i will warn you however the 1.7 ratio rockers are designed for the 3.8l and the pedistals must be ground down .100 just as bob mentioned. i am one of the guys that had a hell of a time with tom. he is very knowledgable with the 3.8 but, i think bob has given me more insite on the 3.0. rockers are great. they pull hard throught the mid range and that is right where i like it. i can add a cam later but, i would likely have to go back to 1.6 rockers if i did even a mildly agressive cam set-up. too much duration is not good. brian

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon+Jul 26 2004, 06:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SixFoFalcon @ Jul 26 2004, 06:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2004, 06:05 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-SixFoFalcon
@Jul 26 2004, 03:56 PM
Price?  Custom-ground=$$$!

My friend ordered a custom cut cam from lunati for a little over $200. But, then again, the cam was for a small block chevy, prices might be a little different for a vulcan.
Custom-grinds are getting cheaper these days, but that sounds like "semi-custom" to me... like they had already done a cam to those specs once or twice before. Especially considering there are literally hundreds of cam designs floating around for the SB chebby.

If it was a true one-off custom cam, kudos to your friend--that's a hell of a deal! :blink: :banana: In fact, PM me with the contact info... I'm doing a bit of an exotic project on the Falcon, and my only source for cams so far is in OZ. [/b][/quote]
I guess you could say it was semi custom. He got the specs from car craft magazine when they were testing different cam profiles in the 350 HO delux crate motor. They don't sell that specific cam "off the shelf", and he did have to call lunati and order it and he had to give the cam specs over the phone, but somebody else DID do it first so it's not completely custom. I don't have the contact info on me because when he ordered it, we went down to Murray's Speed and Custom and told the guy what we wanted, then he went ahead and called lunati for us.

I think the hard part would be determining what cam specs you want and what will actually work. As long as you give the cam company the details, they can build it.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the reply I got from camcraft cams:

Daniel,
Our most popular cam is about 210 [email protected] with .275 cam lift. It is a
bit bigger than the Ranger cams and works well in cars as well. Cost is
$200.00 outright for a reground cam. We start with Ranger cam cores, as they
are bigger to start with. I will have to look into a roller rocker . One of
our suppliers was going to make them but I'm not sure he followed through.
Let me know if you have any further questions. Call (800) 426-2261 to order.
We accept major credit cards and money orders. Thanks for the inquiry.

Charles Reichard

$200.00 isn't a bad deal.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Sounds like a great deal! I'm wondering if 210 duration might be a touch on the long side, but I don't even know what the stock duration is. :headscratch: If it's significantly longer duration than stock, you are going to lose a lot of low end torque and you'll need a high-stall TC to take advantage of the power. You might want to ask him about that.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hmm... tried finding duration in my books but I can't find a damn thing. I did find the exact lift specifications though.... for the vulcan & all variations of which: 0.260" for intake and exhaust. Duratec is.... 0.188" for intake and exhaust (remember there are 4 cams here :p ) The SHO is... get this.... 0.335" on the exhaust & 0.323" on the intake. :blink:

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by Xmann01@Jul 27 2004, 09:24 PM
Hmm... tried finding duration in my books but I can't find a damn thing. I did find the exact lift specifications though.... for the vulcan & all variations of which: 0.260" for intake and exhaust. Duratec is.... 0.188" for intake and exhaust (remember there are 4 cams here :p ) The SHO is... get this.... 0.335" on the exhaust & 0.323" on the intake. :blink:
Do you know the difference between SVT contour cams and 3.0 duratec cams?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk+Jul 27 2004, 11:18 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mikehawk @ Jul 27 2004, 11:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Xmann01@Jul 27 2004, 09:24 PM
Hmm... tried finding duration in my books but I can't find a damn thing. I did find the exact lift specifications though....  for the vulcan & all variations of which: 0.260" for intake and exhaust. Duratec is....  0.188" for intake and exhaust (remember there are 4 cams here :p ) The SHO is... get this....  0.335" on the exhaust & 0.323" on the intake. :blink:
Do you know the difference between SVT contour cams and 3.0 duratec cams? [/b][/quote]
Don't know if this applies to the SVT... but I found some data on the 97 & 99 - 00 cougar & contour engine. Appears to be more or less the same... I don't know whats different on the SVT. Perhaps higher compression? But the lift is 0.188" for intake and exhaust on the 2.5L tec. Camshaft journal diameter on the L/H cylinder head is... #1 intake, 1.0213-1.0220" / #1 exhaust, 1.1802 - 1.1809" / #'s 2,3 & 4 intake & exhaust, 1.0201 - 1.0209" / No. 5 intake & exhaust, 1.0213 - 1.0220" R/H cylinder head is.... #1 intake, 1.180 - 1.1811" / #1 exhaust is 1.0213 - 1.0220" / #'s 2,3,4 intake & exhaust, 1.0201 - 1.0209" / #5 intake & exhaust is 1.0213 - 1.0220" ............ :blink:

That was alot of crap! :lol:
Those specs are for a 97 probe.

Contour, Cougar & Mystique are: 1.0600 - 1.0610" (Interesting)

Taurus: (2V) 2.0074 - 2.0084"
Taurus: (4V) 1.0600- 1.0610" (Interesting)
Taurus: (SHO) Front 1.1992 - 1.1998" Others .9826 - .9833"

Seems to me that the 3.0 tec & the 2.5 tec have similar cams if not the same cams... Same lift but possibly different durations. My only guess is the SVT Contour has higher compression & maybe different cams.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts