Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow I think I confused myself more than anyone reading this.. I DID have a nice write up but it wudn't load along w/ the pics so again w/ the my baaad :-0
LEDs provided by superbriteleds.com 3mm 30 degree vieing angle for the window and lock switches and Pirhanna type for the trip comp and cruise switches..Used Rosin Core .032 DIA solder where needed..ALSO got a couple practice swipes in at the boneyard when taking apart composites so I wudnt make my own car into a hack job.. sorry for crappy phone pics.
I have 30 more 3 mm LEDs on order for the head unit :)

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
Nice! I always liked blue.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
That's pretty cool looking, nice work B)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Whoa.

Please sir, if you could elaborate and wouldn't mind typing up writeup on how to DIY, I would love to follow suit. I wanted blue Cathodes to illuminate my floor, but decided against it as it would not match the gauges and stereo.

Can you change the LEDs on the stereo, too?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (6stringRocketeer @ May 15 2009, 11:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725499
Whoa.

Please sir, if you could elaborate and wouldn't mind typing up writeup on how to DIY, I would love to follow suit. I wanted blue Cathodes to illuminate my floor, but decided against it as it would not match the gauges and stereo.

Can you change the LEDs on the stereo, too?[/b]
I'll be working on the write up again (I am not to savy with the controls on here yet) I tried yesterday and the dialogue didntpost only the pics..) I am working on the headunit now..
(I would STRONGLY reccommend practicing on some PCB's other than the ones that you pull from your own car!) I went to the bone yard and practiced removing the components and then practiced unsoldering the LEDs from them vs jacking up mine.
1)Youll need basic tools 8mm to disconnect battery & to remove air bag unit,
2)a philips screw driver to remove the Cruise Control assemblies from the steering wheel
3) Torx type 7 or 8?? to disassemble PCBs (Circuit Boards) from there respective assemblies
4) 10 Pieces - PLCC-2 Surface Mount LEDs SMD PLCC (Blue) from Oznium.com (Pirhanna type LEDs that fit in the Cruise & Trip Computer) (8 needed in total but get a few extras in case!)
5) soldering iron with a flat "Chisel" type head so that when you heat up the led solders both can be done at the same time..

For the head unit same t type to remove pcbs but you'll need 3MM LEDs from superbriteleds
Product: RL3-B2030 Blue 3mm LED $ 0.63 (each)
27 needed for head unit and 18 for the window and lock switches..

Again if you havent taken these assemblies apart PRACTICE on some at the junk yard! If you havent soldered before than PRactice on a Junkyard part! Seriously.. I did and the forst couple PCBs I did I messed up like clock work LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A couple additional items you'll need and some more cautions...
The clips that attacjed the airbag to the steering wheel (once they come off they dont go back in...I learned this when practicing on a spent airbag in the junk yard) I secured mine with a bit of duct tape (After disconnecting the battery)

A wire nippers to clip the new leds extra long cathodes..
.032 Diameter Rosin Core Solder (The thinner the more manuverable it is)
a few extra chisel type solder heads - when they get old the solder tends to stick to the tip vs the board
a tweezers to pull the old leds off the board once the solder is heated up
&
TAKE NOTE OF HOW the LEDS LOOK before you pull them out! (The pirahna type square ones have a tiny corner cut out - that is the negative side and when you install new ones it must be located in the same corner) The cathode side and Anode side (+&-) must match otherwise no go..
If I had a better camera I would have added those pics but my blackberry has a wack camera for close ups..

1 more thing.. Get some DIN tools to remove the head unit - saves a headache

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks very nice. Thanks for the quick writeup... I just hope there are a few solid G4's at my local Pick n Pull to test this out on.

I REALLY want to do this, thanks for giving me the motivation :D

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
For those of you who have never used a surface mount LED before, just a warning, its about the size of a grain of rice if not smaller.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Would you be willing to swap all of mine to blue if I sent you the switches, etc? (and how much would you charge?)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (Sean T. @ May 17 2009, 10:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725966
Would you be willing to swap all of mine to blue if I sent you the switches, etc? (and how much would you charge?)[/b]
Well yer car wouldn't be much fun to drive without the window switches -cruise control etc..LOL! Seriously so easy you will have no probs doing it yerself - BUT if you want further help you can PM me- B)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finished**** the LED switch for the head unit and all the doors. A couple of pics and some more things I learned in the process..
The first head unit PCB I worked on was wrecked when one of the prited circuits ripped out when I was removing the OEM LEDs so I went to the Salvage Yard and picked up a new board but I overlooked 1 tiny detail when picking out the new board..
Gen 4.5 Taurus and Sables have a "AirBagOff" light that illuminates from the board and Gen 4.0's do not. Of Course I got a board out of a Gen 4 and Of Course the air bag light is coding out now.. So back to the drawing board (once I find a Gen4.5 headunit with CD player) All the ones in the Salvage yard are tape players..but in the mean while I have the blue light special!

Sorry for crummy camera (Camery) phone pics LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Im loving it!!! Good work

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
If only we could change the display color... Personally I prefer amber over green. I love your mods though. Very involved work. Perhaps you should start a retrofitting service :) w/1 week turn-around. I'm sure there would be plenty of folks willing to pay for this sort of a mod

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QUOTE (solapathy @ May 20 2009, 01:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726673
If only we could change the display color... Personally I prefer amber over green. I love your mods though. Very involved work. Perhaps you should start a retrofitting service :) w/1 week turn-around. I'm sure there would be plenty of folks willing to pay for this sort of a mod[/b]
Heres the link for the 2004-07 Taurus gauge faces...
http://shosource.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=117
And yeah, as soon as I get mine squared away and contribute to the forum I will offer it up.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts