Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
As promised, here are some pictures from the trip back (I didn't take any on the way out). I'm driving the ZX2, and my dad drove the Fiero back from Columbus, OH. We picked up the car at about 11:00 AM on Saturday...no pics of that since we were mostly trying to stay dry! I pulled out the camera after we stopped for lunch since there was a nice big gravel lot to snap a few in. It still has OH plates...a PA classic plate is on the way.

Out the window on the highway:

I got it in the mirror on the way back...the mirror was clean when we left, so it was a little sloppy out off and on :lol2:

I thought this one was neat...you're looking east on I-70, from Ohio into West Virginia.

My dad got one of me driving the ZX2 in the mirror of the Fiero too...I thought it was a pretty cool picture.

I gave it a quick wash when we got it home, but it does need a full detail, so I'll get some more detailed pics once it's completely cleaned up B) I forgot to take a couple of the interior and the engine, so I'll get those another day.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Wow thats pretty cool man!
I won't claim I was a big Fiero fan before, they were sorta before my time, but, that car is really, really nice looking.
I like it a lot, very sweet looking!

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks!

Right now it's sitting in the garage awaiting a new heater core from Rock Auto, and over the weekend I went through the brakes and flushed the fluid. I'm pretty sure the fluid in there was probably as old as the car. :lol2: The pads and rotors were virtually new and everything else was in good shape.

Also greased the front end, but it needs a new left upper balljoint and a right outer tie rod, and it'll be getting new shocks in the front.

With the heater core out and the panel that houses the blower motor out, we cleaned out a TON of leaves from the heater box and from the vents...they were everywhere! Much better now.

New tires are on the way as well. It's kind of interesting trying to find good performance tires in the sizes it has...the fronts are 205/60R15 and the rears are 215/60R15. Front wheels are 6" wide, rears are 7" if I remember right...the ones I've found so far are Sumitomos, but I have a couple other places to check. The Yokohamas that are on it now were put on in '97 or'98...they need to go. Too old trust for much other than pushing it around the driveway :)

It'll be officially registered in PA by the end of the week with a classic plate :woot:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Nice!!! 1988 was also the year they brought about that new suspension which was similar to a Lotus setup. Gm was about to acquire lotus back then too!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
heh seeing these nice pics of a fiero makes me wanna get one too :p
too bad their arent any decently priced in my state.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nice!!! 1988 was also the year they brought about that new suspension which was similar to a Lotus setup. Gm was about to acquire lotus back then too![/b]
Yep...the suspension changes were the reason we only looked for '88s...most people consider them to be the "best" Fiero. Lots of people think Lotus designed the suspension, but it was actually designed during the initial design of the car before it came out in '84. The bean counters didn't let them use it until 1988 since it needed parts that weren't already in the GM parts bin.

heh seeing these nice pics of a fiero makes me wanna get one too :p
too bad their arent any decently priced in my state.[/b]
Keep looking...it took us a year and a half to find this one. Keep your eyes out, and you'll eventually find the one you want. :) We got this one about three hours from home. You can spend anywhere from pocket change to thirty grand on a GT, although getting up to the top we're talking a never-sold, never-titled example...essentially a new old stock car with very desirable options.

More fun stuff...
Changed the oil and transmission fluid yesterday...whoever put the oil filter on (there was a Napa service sticker on the windshield) really torqued it down. It'll be getting switched over to synthetic in a week or two after it runs a bit...I don't think the oil had been changed since 2006. It's had less then 2,000 miles put on it since then, but obviosly two year old oil had to go.

The Getrag five speed has a fresh fill of Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid in it now...I love when trans fluid changes are that easy. Unscrew the drain plug, let it drain, put it back in, dump in two bottles of fluid, job done. None of this 16-quart automatic flushing business! :p I might put synthetic in it later on...probably Royal Purple Synchromax if I decide to go synthetic. The seal on the dipstick for the transmission isn't pliable anymore and doesn't fit firmly, so that will be replaced...$7 from the Fiero STore, so not a big deal. :)

New shoes also arrived fron Tire Rack the other day - Bridgestone Potenza G 009s, 205/60R15s for the front, 215/60R15s for the rear. It's not too easy to find decent performance-oriented tires that fit both front and rear! :lol2:

The front end still needs a few things...found a cross-threaded lug nut, so the stud and lug need to be replaced. Advance had both in stock, even the externally threaded nuts for the black plastic lug caps. They even have the caps in stock, although this car has all 20 in great shape. :)

Upper and lower balljoints will be replaced on both sides...only one is really bad, but they're all 20 years old. You can tell they're original since the originals were riveted in...replacements are bolted. The right tie rod end needs to be replaced as well, but we might do both at once just to be sure before the new tires are driven on.

It will also be getting new KYB shocks in the front...it should drive quite nicely. :)

I also took the pictures needed for the PA classic plate registration...they show the color pretty nicely. The best estimate I've found in the paperwork that came with the car is that there were 741 GTs in this color, although I don't know how accurate that number is. I'll just post one, which my Taurus also snuck into :lol2:

I'm having fun getting it all back in shape! :)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Got the PA Classic plate on it...out for inspection as we speak :noes:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Massive Bump!

It's back out for the summer...and now it's snowing! :eek: So, um, I guess it's back in the garage for now...

But anyway, we flushed the clutch yesterday afternoon - when it was in the mid 60s and not snowing :lol2: I'm pretty sure the hydraulic fluid had never been changed and was probably what it left the factory in Pontiac, MI in 1988 with. Some standard Dot 3 brake fluid later, the clutch is precisely 439.4% better! The hardest part of the job was getting the reservoir cap off - it was REALLY stuck on there!

Then I went and aired up the tires, since they lost some air from being stored, and found a brake leak. It needs a left rear caliper - which is a lot harder to get a hold of than I thought. It runs $93 plus $66 core at NAPA, who is currently trying to locate one. Nobody stocks them, and it's more than double the price of the front calipers, which are available straight off the shelf anywhere. I haven't really done any research to find out, but I guess the fronts are GM parts-bin and maybe the rears are '88 Fiero Formula/GT only stuff :dunno: Hopefully I'll have on in hand by next weekend and it'll be good to go. If I think of it, I'll take some pics.

I'll definitely post some pics once it's all cleaned up and detailed for the season :)

In other Fiero news, I found a spectacular '88 Formula in original Bright Yellow for sale - which is obscenely rare. The only thing that would make it rarer would be if it had T-tops instead of a moonroof - I believe there were only 73 made with T-tops. Oh, and it has about 9,500 miles on it. :blink: Tempting, but where would I put it?

·
Registered
331 Posts
do the quads actually do anything as far as hp? or does it make 125hp like the rest of the 2.8L engines

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
All 2.8 Fieros were about 140hp. The quad tips are just that...tips - it's just quasi-duals with twin tips on each side. The exhaust isn't anything overly exciting :)

I have pics of the brake work, which is done and was much more enjoyable than working on drum rears like I'm used to with the Taurus and the ZX2 :lol2: Pics to come once I get them off the camera.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Finally got the brake caliper pics off my camera...I skipped a bunch of steps due to dot wanting to mix filthy hands with my camera...but here they are. :)

Here's the old, leaky, rubbish caliper.

It was leaking from the parking brake lever seal, enough that you could just about watch it drip. Obviously, can't drive it like that!

In with the new...

That's the parking brake lever - not in the position it works in, but that's what's leaking on the old original caliper.

And the piston. Works the same as a Taurus rear caliper, basically - screw it in to push it back.

Greased up all the contact points, put the pads back in - I had to compress the piston, which I've never had to do with a new caliper, but these ones are easy. I had forgotten how much more I like working on disc brakes than stupid drums :lol2:

Then just because I'm posting pictures, I cleaned all the junk out of the inside of the wheel - it's where a bunch of the leaking fluid ended up, and I didn't want it there for obvious reasons. These tires didn't look that dirty without the flash! Obviously I didn't clean the tires any more than just hosing them off :lol2: Polished aluminum ftw.

And the requisite '80s Pontiac wheel :grin2:

Now it's time to get the car all cleaned up now that it's all driveable again! :woot:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hopefully I can see the car in person this year...sweet Fiero! And nice work on the brakes, looks good B)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Another massive bump as it goes back into hibernation for the winter :)

Finally got around to rebuilding the pop-up headlight mechanisms...it has "drive pins" inside the gear that lock it to the headlight drive shaft that act like a clutch, of sorts. The plastic they're made of disintegrates over time, leaving the lights with no power to pop up. Got a rebuild kit from the Fiero Store (think sorta like SHO Source for Fieros), which included new gears and drive pins. We didn't use the new gears since the old ones were fine and I liked how they fit better than the reproductions. New drive pins and the headlights now work great. No more pulling over, popping the hood, and trying to help them up and hoping they lock :lol2:

Here's a quick video of the difference and what happens to the drive pins when they get old...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Those Popup headlights are awesome, very cool! Nice work Jim!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts