Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, it's a Pontiac Fiero...that was too easy! :lol2:

Not only the 2.8L V6 and a five speed...also an '88. 1988 was the final year, and they finally got the suspension that was originally designed for the car, instead of the (essentially) Chevette front end and Citation front-end-as-the-rear setup on the earlier cars. This changed the geometry and made it into much more of a sports car. '88s also have vented disc brakes on all four corners (earlier cars have solid rears).

There were 6,849 '88 Fiero GTs produced, out of 26,402 total...I believe only 2,700 or so of total Fiero production was the medium red metallic color this one is. It's also a factory radio delete and A/C delete car, which is also somewhat rare. It's 100% unmolested, except for a professionally-installed aftermarket stereo system. This one's also never seen snow and rarely seen rain...I don't have all the pictures here on this computer, but it's in almost completely flawless condition.

What the clues were hinting at was that the Fiero was (clue #2) it's spaceframe construction, and no part of the skin is structural (it's EnduraFlex plastic and entirely removable), and (#3) it was the first mid-engined car mass-produced in the States.

Here it is (seller's pictures):

I love the "flying buttress" fastback body...I call the back windows "windows to nowhere" :lol2:

I'm sure I'll overload you guys with pictures once we pick it up...especially when I get a chance to take it out to some of my favorite photo settings :)

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
One thing GM really needed to do was to put a decent-looking dash in those cars, but then, all GM's dashes of the era were cheap and ugly-looking.

Nice find!!!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
My dad bought an '86 Fiero on Ebay for $1000, its setting in the back yard with a seized engine, dead battery, and frozen brakes. I'll take pictures of it when I get home.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Ah so that's the car you had me checkin on for you. Man does it look clean for an 88! Nice find Jim B) Looking forward to more pics.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Very nice. :coolgleam:

My grandpa has an '88 Formula, same color, same powertrain. Fun little car.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys...I'm pretty excited to get it home :) It's definitely one of the cleanest ones I've seen...I wish I had the photo of the engine compartment on this computer....you could practically eat off of it. But that would make it dirty :lol:

One thing GM really needed to do was to put a decent-looking dash in those cars, but then, all GM's dashes of the era were cheap and ugly-looking.[/b]
I was gonna say, it's an '80s GM so the interior is supposed to be like that! :lol2:

I had an '86 Fiero AM6, V6 4spd... I loved that car. A lady at a gas station gave it to me for free.[/b]
Wow...free? Pretty cool!

too bad its the final year... I know some of the early models had speakers IN the headrests [/b]
Nah...final year is a plus for the suspension changes. The headrest speakers were discontinued in '86...cost cutting.

GTP motor swap?! Haha[/b]
If I found a cheap '86-'87 GT.... :ph34r:

Ah so that's the car you had me checkin on for you. Man does it look clean for an 88! Nice find Jim B) Looking forward to more pics.[/b]
Yup, that's the one! Thanks again for the Carfax :)

My grandpa has an '88 Formula, same color, same powertrain. Fun little car.[/b]
Nice! B) The Formula is my second favorite model behind the GT...it's a little bit lighter weight too with the notchback body.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
i hate you. :D i want one so bad... there is a guy down the street that owns two of them and they are sweet! one seems to be a stocker and the other is modified with at least an intake (the one that draws air from the roof through a scoop) and exhaust and wears a cool 80's white and gold paint job. next time he has them out to wash i will try and get some good pics. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
When I worked at the GM Tech Center, I talked to one of the engineers that worked with the prototype Fieros. While I was fixing his computer (cira 1998), I asked him about his Fiero poster and mini-clay model that was in his cube. He told me worked on the project, but unfortunatly he said "We couldn't keep engines in the 1988's, so we stopped making them."

They are cool little cars, thats for sure. I always wondered why GM didn't make anything to replace it. The Geo Storm was somewhat of a replacement but the Storm wasn't a sports car. The closest thing they have now is the Pontiac Solstice.

·
Registered
681 Posts
There is one that looks like this sans spoiler about 20 minutes from me for sale. It's been there for a good while. I've thought about picking it up, but for some reason I'm drawn more towards finding a turbo K car.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I worked at the GM Tech Center, I talked to one of the engineers that worked with the prototype Fieros. While I was fixing his computer (cira 1998), I asked him about his Fiero poster and mini-clay model that was in his cube. He told me worked on the project, but unfortunatly he said "We couldn't keep engines in the 1988's, so we stopped making them."

They are cool little cars, thats for sure. I always wondered why GM didn't make anything to replace it. The Geo Storm was somewhat of a replacement but the Storm wasn't a sports car. The closest thing they have now is the Pontiac Solstice.
[/b]
That's kind of an odd reason...the engines never really changed, and the V6 is essentially a plain old GM corporate 2.8 you could get in tons of other cars with a red intake manifold. The 4 cylinders had problems - the early ones were the ones that got the car it's "catching-on-fire" reputation in '84. The four wasn't really all that well suited to the car...it had a very low redline compared to what you'd expect and many of them were probably overrevved. If the engines were really the reason, it wouldn't be just an '88 problem. :dunno: There are so many theories on why it was discontinued...mostly lack of profitability and supposedly possible "competition" for buyers with the Corvette...and the plant it was built at was shut down during 1988. There's a book about it I'll have to pick up.

We have the car now...runs great, shifts well. It's going to get a going-over from end to end, especially in the suspension - everything it factory original and some things are acting like 20-year old parts and need to be replaced, but nothing that isn't expected on an '88. All the paint is original, and in really nice shape...a nice detailing will bring it up nicely, even though it looks quite good now. To give an idea of how little it's been driven recently...the tires were put on in '97 or '98 and still have lots of tread. Those will be replaced as well.

Pics from the trip to come later this afternoon :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
22 Participants
bull geek
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing