Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( i know my reverse lights don't work due to(probably) the neutral safety switch..my question is -is this a 1 person, 1 day jobhttp://catalog.autopartsgiant.com/item.wws?sku=NS-200&itempk=245267&mfr=STANDARD%20MOTOR%20PRODUCTS&weight=5

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not sure but doesn't the neutral safety switch just make sure that the car won't start in gear? Looking at the switch (I didn't know that was it) it sits right on top of the trans on my 97 so you should be able to get it done in one day. See if anyone has made a write up on it using the search feature, If there is, good luck. If there isn't, someone should still be able to help you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (dark_fire @ May 23 2009, 12:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727351
The TRS as it should be called, does control the reverse lights.[/b]
i know it's called that as well, my question is can i change it without messing with the tranny cable or computer
and is it easy (to some degree) in one day? i don't want to spend $ for a part that cost $24..at autopartsgiant

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Yes. Just pop it out and pop the new one on. You might need to readjust the cable, but that should take like 5 minutes. TRS Alignment Instructions are in the Topic Finder.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's easy to do, but I should warn you that my reverse lights don't work either, so I replaced the TRS and it didn't help.

They still don't work, neither do the rear speakers, and the high mount brake lamp. It's a station wagon, I'm assuming there is a wire harness or something going to the door that is loose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently have been replacing everything from O 2 sensors to fuses and bulbs to brakes. I've learned that all fuses need to be checked. This the least expensive fix, and you will find a fuse or two out. Next are the bulbs. Check them all. For a few bucks you can change the bad ones and they are all easily accessible. Relays are expensive, so have these checked before changing. They run around fifty dollars each. Most mechanics and parts houses will check them free of charge. Of all the electrical problems i've run into, all of the relays are good. Do not check them with the engine running. Disconnect battery. Pull each one, test and return to it's place. If bad, mark the relay with location and value and replace as needed. Parts on line seem to be running far cheaper than buying local. If you are in a bind for an inspection sticker then spend the money to avoid the state troopers citing you, it's not worth going to court. I recently learned that the interior dome lights may appear to have a short and give a dash code showing all four doors open. Easy fix. Buy a can of dry spray lubricant and spray into each door latch as these latches contain the sensors that tell your dome and interior lights to come on when the doors are open and go off when doors are shut. The last items keeping me from a clean inspection report are: the reverse lights won't light up in reverse, even with new bulbs, and (engine maintenance required) code on dash/ my best guess, the four O 2 sensors. On the 1998 SE sensors are located one between radiator and front of engine, one between the back of the engine and firewall, one under the car just before the catalytic convertor, and one after the cat. conv. I pulled them all and cleaned them and found one damaged after the cat. conv. Parts house checked my on board comp. and showed three of the four were bad. most parts houses will rent the socket tool for a 20.00 deposit, then refund the money when tool is returned. I've learned too that if you have any codes appearing on your dash, that local and state DOT law will not allow your vehicle to be inspected. Have these items remedied before going to inspection station and have a diagnostic done to ensure there are no surprises. Sorry so wordy. I love the way this car performs, be patient and give this cash car a chance. Good luck and I'll be sharing info as I learn of any other issues. Thanks for all the good info shared.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts