Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a set of reverse glow gauges in the mail and was wondering a few things..
First it takes a 12v power source. What wire would be the best one to tap into?
Second would it be better to tap it into an established ground or put a ring terminal on it and make a fresh ground?
Third what color wires do I need to look for that actually cuts the dash lights on when you cut the lights on?
Sorry about all the questions but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oh yea and its a'93 lx w/ the auto light feature.

Thanks,
Nate

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Tap into a light source, I used the wires for the radio control since I was no longer using them. Either option for grounding works. I think I sued an established ground for mine.

You need a manual for the wire colors.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have a haynes book but I don't know how to read the wiring diagrams. That is the reason I was needing wire colors. Also how do you take off the gauge needles?

Thanks,
Nate.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
as long as you dont have the cheap reverse glow kit from ebay with the on/off button you can do as i did. I spliced them into the illumination wires for the cluster, so i could dim the glow from the stock dimming switch. now if you have the stupid on/off button then you need to buy another inverter i got 3 inverters (one for each face) on ebay that have only power and 1 output, you can get these from some computer stores too. the reason that you cant use the inverter with the on off button is simple. 1.it will turn off when you dim it to low. 2.it does not come on with your head lights like wiring it into your dash illum circut will. 3.who the f*** wants to turn the damn thing on every time they start the car

you dont take off the needles you just have to point then straight up and slide the faces over them and then let the needles return to their stock positions. the gas and temp gauges need to be repositioned back to their old positions..

i hope it goes well! dont forget to post pics!

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
ill add the pinout and wire colors for you when i get home tonight or you can use the search for something like cluster pinout

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really do not care about being able to dim them. But yes I di have the ones w/ the on/off button.
Can I still wire it into my switch? All I am looking for is for them to come on when I turn my light switch on. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Nate

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
QUOTE (phatt_daddy @ Mar 10 2009, 01:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=707309
I really do not care about being able to dim them. But yes I di have the ones w/ the on/off button.
Can I still wire it into my switch? All I am looking for is for them to come on when I turn my light switch on. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Nate[/b]
It will not come on with the lights If you have the one with the on off button.

What you will have to do is turn the headlights on and hit the on off button for them to come on.

I just installed the same thing in my car last night and trust me they are a bit too bright at night but if you don't want to hit the button every time you will need the inverters I was talking about (w/power and output only) and you will need to get 3.

If you know how to prototype a circuit board to interface with a PICAXE 08m chip then I have a sorce code that I wrote that will turn the inverter on for you when you turn the headlights on and will also turn the inverter off then you turn the headlights off

Personally I would just get the seperate inverters. It's way easier

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok then where do I go and what do I ask for? Then once I get them how do I wire them up? Sorry but I don't know anything except how to install a cd player when it comes to electrical.
Thanks again,
Nate

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts