Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently one of my speakers blew so I decided that I would invest a bit of money and upgrade my sound system.

I've been thinking of getting four of these speakers (Kenwood KFC-C6882ie) found @ http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFC6882/Ke...2ie.html?tp=105 and can't decide on whether to get a Mach RCU or to upgrade the RCU to a totally different one.

I was thinking of getting either the Alpine iDA-X303 found @ http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500IDAX303/Al...03.html?tp=5684 and the Scoche install kit and maybe an amp

or....

get a Mach RCU and maybe an amp (if needed)

What do you think would be best?

How does the Mach RCU system sound? Is it going to sound better or equal to an aftermarket receiver?

Any suggestions on different components are also welcome.

Money isn't a issue as long as the total cost is around the amount I would spend if I bought the Alpine w/ speakers.

I actually already ordered a pair of the Kenwood speakers from eBay but I plan to get a refund as he still hasn't shipped them in over a week now.

Thanks for any input! :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you plan on doing the sound, Infinity offers the Reference 6x8's, great quality sound with more emphasis on midrange and highs than other models. Bass is still great but not overdone and drowning out the other ranges. I've got them in my Gen 4. Also for RCU, if you want you can get a deck with deck kit, some really good pioneer decks out there for inexpensive prices because there is soon to be new models coming. For instance the DEH-P7000 is a nice model, easy to use, I have it, just i can't figure out how to adjust the clock on it.

If price isn't an option, go with what I mentioned.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just added the mach RCU tonight and it sounds much better than the base system.. Now I just need the tweeters

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You're only choices for the RCU is stock and MACH. There is no other amp besides the JBL, but that's pretty much a MACH with a separate sub output (which you don't want if you don't have a sub to go with it).

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Alpine makes some really good decks. And I also had Infinity's in my car when I had it..

·
Registered
232 Posts
I bought those exact speakers from crutchfield in September. No complaints on them. If you are buying a pair instead of 4, putting speakers in the doors will produce better treble sound and putting them in the back will make more bass sound.

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
If you get the mach tweeters, the treble in the lower doors won't matter. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I have tweeters already and they seem good. Upgrade would sound a lot better probably :lol2:

Still waiting on my refund from the guy on ebay... -_-

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (Plazmo @ Mar 15 2009, 10:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708732
Actually I have tweeters already and they seem good. Upgrade would sound a lot better probably :lol2:

Still waiting on my refund from the guy on ebay... -_-[/b]

Situation update: So I finally got my new speakers. I chose to get them first simply because I had a coupon =D I got the Kenwoods. 2 in the door, 2 in the back. The guy on ebay still has my money (and a lot of other peoples) and he's been kicked off ebay. Disputes been filed, etc.

While installing my new speakers, I took a look at my old stock ones. Holy s***, 3 of them were blown and one had water damage. I'm surprised they sounded so good in the state they were in :eek:

I have a lot of questions now and I ask that you remember that this is my first time EVER doing anything related to audio in a car.

I did a quick install of the speakers, made sure polarity was okay and all. I'm noticing that it does sound nice and crisp but it has very little bass compared to the stock speakers. Is this due to the fact that each of my 60 watts rms speakers are getting like... what 4 watts (OEM non mach RCU)? Or... could it be my quick install? I'm planning to go back in and solder/heatshrink all the wires (I just spliced them in). I know adapters exist but I couldn't get enough of them.

Second, I am planning to take advantage of the potential these speakers have by adding a small amp and a LOC. However, as I stated before, I have a regular non mach rcu. The only benefits I have seen about the mach rcu is the increased power and better sound quality. I have a PIE aux input adapter and the sound from my mp3 player seemed to be going through real nice with my stock speakers. If I amped my current RCU, would I even really see any significant benefits from a Mach rcu?

Third, my taurus came with stock tweeters. If I put a 60 watts x 4 amp in, would that be damaging to my tweeters? Is there a way to protect them or should I just install new ones or what? I've got no idea how they work really... just know that the tweeters are sent only the highs.

Lastly, still considering a aftermarket rcu. The Pioneer posted above looks real sleek but the main problem is a radio adapter for my g3. People have said they either look fugly or are really cheaply made. What do you guys think is the best?

Actually one more quick question, I saw a JVC receiver with HD Radio and USB/Aux inputs for about $150. User reviews on it were really good and CNET gave it a good review too but everyone I know says stay away from them because they are junk. Is JVC really that bad?

Thanks and sorry for the large amount of questions all of a sudden. Just want to be clear on a lot of things. Still planning to do this but not for like 2 weeks to a month (need money). Having a lot of fun reading through the old posts on this forum :p

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I've been running Kenwood's and a MACH RCU in my 2000, and then got swapped over to the '98 SHO I just bought. I've loved the way it sounds with the MACH. People have asked if I have a low watt 10" in the trunk, and I respond, "I have 500watts RMS running to a 12", but its not turned on..."

:p

Trust me, you'll LOVE the way the MACH with aftermarket speakers sounds. And then adding a LOC and a good amp/sub/box combo? Prepare to get some peoples attention! And it sure is the best way to go for the dollar. I picked up a MACH RCU from someone on here for a HELL OF A DEAL. Plus the four Kenwoods, and some tweeters, I think I've spent ~150-200 dollars. Now the amps (yes, multiple LOL), box, and Rockford Fosgate P3 12" ran me about another $500. Thats a different story though..

:thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts