Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my front passenger side tire shredded, the mechanic replacing the tire gave me an estimate for some suspension work. Here are the items in the estimate:

Replace both inner tie rods
Replace radius arm bushings
Replace front sway bar links

First Question: I would like to do the work myself, but I wouldn’t want to tackle it without good instructions. Where can I get good instructions? I have AllDataDIY, but I’m finding that it’s not that complete or well organized.

Second Question: When I called a Ford Dealer’s Parts department, they said don’t sell radius arm bushings, they’re not serviceable, and I’d have to replace the whole control arm. Does anybody have any experience with this? If this is true, how could a repair shop replace them?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
buy a repair manual from any auto parts place.

which bushing front or rear? i am assuming front?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I think replacing the arm is what I did on my '93 if it is the control arm you are talking about. Do you need a Ford manual?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
You can get parts from Rockauto.com Use the TCCA discount code. You can join a TCCA chapter and have some guys to help you.

Supsension work is always easier with an extra pair o' hands.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m sorry that I did not respond sooner, but I sprained/strained my back and it’s been hard to sit at a keyboard.

I have a Haynes manual and its pages are covered with smudgy fingerprints. Unfortunately, the Haynes manual seems to fall down in the suspension and steering section. I don’t think it even mentions the inner tie rods.

Yes, the bushing is in the front. From what I understand, this is the bushing that goes through the middle of the lower control arm for the tension strut. I imagine the shop I went to was going to buy an aftermarket bushing and refurbish the lower control arm.

Yes, I guess I’m looking for a Ford repair manual. If you can suggest good source, I’d appreciate it.

Where can I find out more about the discount and joining the TCCA chapter?

Despite my back problem, I was able to take my Sable to Sears Automotive. They said the car only needed the inner tie rods. They’re probably right. The small shop I originally went to was probably gold plating the work. I think small shops tend to increase the amount of work required to make up for the fewer customers they have. Unfortunately, it drives customers like me away.

Thanks

E Steve K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts