Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was recently falsely accused of a traffic violation with one of those stupid auto traffic cameras where I went through a yellow light because I was well and beyond the point of no return and it went red while I was in the intersection, I was in the red light for a grand total of .18 seconds. I am trying to fight the ticket obviously but I cannot find anywhere online the stopping time and distance from 60-0 for my 1995 Taurus SE. I have gone through the manual, car and driver, and google is worn out by my searches. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction please so I can get out of this stupid ticket.

Thanks for your time in reading this, I appreciate it.

Kage

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I agree and had it been a low speed area I would have had plenty of time to break. However, I was in a 55 mph area and did not have the distance/time to stop with out slamming my brakes and locking up.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
For what it's worth as a reference, here are some of the other variants and their braking performance as seen in contemporary car magazine road-tests. If your sedan has the front disc/rear drum setup, it should be slightly worse at stopping 60-0 than these three cars did. At best, it should perform about the same as the Gen 2 wagon.

http://www.ford-taurus.org/taurusinfo/Articles/MT-Aug95/mt19958.jpg

The 1996 Taurus with front disc/rear disc and ABS (1st year of the Gen 3 body) stops from 60-0 in 133 feet according to Motor Trend at the link above.

http://www.ford-taurus.org/taurusinfo/Articles/MT-Oct91/92LX3.jpg

A Gen 2 wagon with front disc/rear disc (the closest comparison to your car) stops 60-0 in 150 feet according to Motor Trend in the link above.

http://www.ford-taurus.org/taurusinfo/Articles/RT-2000/ford-pg-17.jpg

A 2000 Taurus sedan with front disc/rear drum and ABS (1st year of the Gen 4) stops from 60-0 in 141 feet according to Road & Track at the link above.

If the light was still yellow as you crossed the 'stop here' line into the intersection, that should be a dismissed ticket- you didn't legally run a red light. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Many cities in Southern California had to return the fines on redlight cameras and cities are getting rid of them. The company that gave the cities the camera system got a portion of the fines and they were caught shaving the time of the yellow lights to increase revenues. The yellow lights on the intersection that had the cameras were much shorter than the yellow at intersections with out the cameras. You may want to make sure the yellows aren't shaved.

Bob

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
a coat of clear coat and a couple coats of wax on the plate helps keep the camera from seeing the plate. it worked on my truck and the camera didnt get a shot on my plate. however living in a small town with a multicolor truck ( blue bed and left fender the rest red ) it wasnt hard for the cop to find me and give me the ticket a couple of days later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.