Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at putting 4x JL Audio W7's in my car running 2 Rockford amp and 3-4 yellow top batteries. Will be running 1/0 gauge wiring through out the entire system. I have the big hree upgrade already with a red top battery under the hood. My current system (2x w7's) is running off a yellow top in the trunk all with 1/0 gauge wiring.

I need some opinions on what i should do about power supply to the batteries. I know the stock 110amp alt will struggle with that. I have found a 130amp alt and am considering purchasing it. Is there anyway to run dual alts? Is there a bigger alt on the market then a 130amp? What are your thoughts about this? I am gunna do this no matter what, just want to know what people think.

Thank You

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Well, I know that if you can find a good professional alternator shop in your area, you can have a custom built unit made with the max output possible. There is a shop in my home town that can build a 200a unit. Not cheap though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wont be able to find one in my area. No one in the United Kingdom works on American cars. If i did happen to find one it would cost me double the price it would if i was in the states.

I did however find a 220a alt online.

What does anyone think about battery isolators? Was thinking about getting one to be able to hook up 2 extra batteries along with the one under the hood. The isolator states it will be able to charge each battery(3) off 1 alternator. My thoughts are that the isolator will take away most of the load off the alternator.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Isolators are a good thing. They are often used on large RV's that have full-blown home theater systems in them. They keep the RV's alternator from becoming overloaded. You also may want to consider using "Deep Cycle" style marine/RV batteries for your audio gear.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on running 2-3 yellow top batteries. not sure how many yet. I have a red top under the hood for the accessories and stuff

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Yeah, the Optima Yellow Top is a deep cycle ( I just looked them up). Good choice!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah 2-3 of them (1 per amplifier) and an isolator for 3 batteries, and a 220 amp alternator should do me justice then.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
No one in the United Kingdom works on American cars.
I've always been curious, what do UK mechanics say about fixing american cars? Do they find them hard to repair?

A lot of mechanics I know aren't overly fond of fixing european cars, I only know one that does imports exclusively though. I haven't heard much complaint about how Japanese cars are put together, and with domestics it generally comes down to brand loyalty.

What's it like where you are?

/off topic

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've always been curious, what do UK mechanics say about fixing american cars? Do they find them hard to repair?

A lot of mechanics I know aren't overly fond of fixing european cars, I only know one that does imports exclusively though. I haven't heard much complaint about how Japanese cars are put together, and with domestics it generally comes down to brand loyalty.

What's it like where you are?

/off topic

Alot of people around here dont honestly work on American Cars. There are a couple places around the base im stationed at that deal with them but they are very over priced. Most of the stuff people turn their cars in for are for like body damage. Alot of the British people around here dont really like working on French cars, because they litteraly are POS. I order all my stuff from the states and ship it APO and it comes straight to me on base and i do my own work. I just sucks having to order everything as it takes a week to get here were as if i was in the states i could rive 5 mins to the closest autozone grab my part and have what i need done right then and there. I kind of have to prepare for the unknown. Kind of guess what is going to go wrong, if anything. Luckily the only major things i have replaced on my car is a right front cv-axle and a starter. Thats with 116k+ miles. My car is in great shape under the chassis as when snow comes they done use salt like we do in the states, so underbody rust here is almost a thing of the past. I like it here but id rather be in the states, closer to a parts store lol.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
invest in a capacitor for the amps. 1 farad per thousand watts. this protects the electronics of the car. if you want top of the line amp look at these. ZED Audio | Where no amplifier has gone before!

this is the guy that built the great amps of the 80s and 90s. like the hifonics god amps

Not gunna run capcitors as i will have 2-3 batteries. with that kind of volts running through my system i dont want to take the risk of blowing one up. I currently have a 5 fared cap and that takes more power away from my system as now the alternator has to work twice as hard to supply power to 2 batteries(current system). That is why i am gunna go with an isolator to help take alot of the stress off the alternator and each batery wont be trying to pull a charge from each other.

Im figuring at least i battery per amp that i have over 1000w and maybe another battery for accessories such as air ride pumps, interior video, interior lighting, stuff like that.

I will however take a look at the website you suggested. Right now i am going with 2 rockford amps.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dieselman..what base are you stationed at? My dad was in the Air Force (SAC) and we were stationed at Brize Norton RAFB in Carterton from 1960-1964. I know that the USAF doesn't use that base anymore.

Dad had his '56 Ford Customline shipped over there when he went..I swear we were one of the biggest cars on the road...a few times dad forgot about driving on the left side of the road....made a few anxious moments...

I am at RAF Mildenhall in the Suffolk area up north by Cambridge and Bury St. Edmunds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts