Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i been searching around online the last couple hours trying to find a stainless steel resonator or glasspack and not coming up with much of anything...
i am planning on doing a resonator/glasspack right off the third cat and then straight pipe it to the rear "axle" then split it off to duels with no mufflers and exiting in the factory locations with SHO tips (also need tips)

i ran the car for a few months with just a glasspack and sigle straightpipe out the back and loved the sound but it was a little loud.

so what i am trying to find is a stainless steel resonator or glasspack that is 2.25 inches inner diameter and as long as i can possibly find (to help mellow it out) and for a resonable price (i.e. $150 or less)

if any of you have any suggestions i would really appreciate them!! thanks guys!

·
Registered
205 Posts
QUOTE (sable23 @ Jun 29 2009, 03:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735932
i been searching around online the last couple hours trying to find a stainless steel resonator or glasspack and not coming up with much of anything...
i am planning on doing a resonator/glasspack right off the third cat and then straight pipe it to the rear "axle" then split it off to duels with no mufflers and exiting in the factory locations with SHO tips (also need tips)

i ran the car for a few months with just a glasspack and sigle straightpipe out the back and loved the sound but it was a little loud.

so what i am trying to find is a stainless steel resonator or glasspack that is 2.25 inches inner diameter and as long as i can possibly find (to help mellow it out) and for a resonable price (i.e. $150 or less)

if any of you have any suggestions i would really appreciate them!! thanks guys![/b]
Hmm i think that a glasspack muffler, or resonator would just be a bit overkill for a Taurus. Most people put them on trucks with the big V-8s to get that deep throaty sound. I not really sure what people would think if they saw a Taurus blow by growling like a hemi. I had 2.25 dual pipes on a 5.0 88 crown vic that i had, and that was almost too big of pipe for the engine. By putting that big of pipe on a much smaller V-6, i would worry about back pressure.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the tec sounds sorta like a 350z with a glasspack and no muffler... i am aiming for that sound again... and again i am speaking out of experience... looking for stainless so i dont have to replace it every two years cause of rust

this is what i want right now if i end up not liking it or if it is too loud then i will put some mufflers on it at a later time

see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTxnfe1ZLI4
here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-trSo0dckc
and here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lfkDwlSsGs

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
40" 3" inlet 7"" bodymagnaflow resonator, its one step bigger than what i have and its 2 inches wider so it will definetly be quieter than my car, i would give this a try over everything! and definetly dont replace the cat with a flowmaster.... use a small resonator if anything, 50 series are quiet, and they dont add performance.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd...ain&id=8167

0 rasp will get past this i promise you. its the biggest resonator magnaflow makes and you must remove 3rd cat to fit it.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
He wont be able to fit a 7" bodied magnaflow under his car. The exhaust tunnel is too small, and the car is lowered. A 6" body would be pushing it. Mine, with a 6x33x2.5 used to drag on speed bumps ALL the time.

The magnaflow 28"x4x2.25 round muffler would work well, especially since you're keeping the 3rd cat. If you ditched the 3rd cat, two 4" round mufflers in a row would give a good, sane, sound as well.

I pitch magnaflow all the time because they're stainless, they work, and they have several options for sizes. I'm not 100% keen on their sound, but most like them just fine.

Keep as much of your stock stainless piping as you can. Hose all the welds with paint.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well that 28 round muffler looks like a good one, i didnt read the description of the round muffler when i was looking yesterday i didnt realise it is basically a resonator just in a different shape...

i dont know how to weld so i would like to get this all put together proffessionally so there are no leaks and hopefully it will look decent and sound decent.

i should have enough of the stainless factory exhaust for them to do everything except the muffler deletes so i am hoping they can provide some pipe for that but if i use all the pipe i have that should cut down on the cost quite a bit i wil just be paying fo the labor for them to put it in and weld it up. and since i took the exhaust off of my car they dont have to charge me for that either

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
I'm doing the 28" magnaflow to replace my resonator and then a special muffler...let me know how it goes :)

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well this is kinda turning into a pain cause the one exhaust shop i have in my town really really overcharges you for everything so i will not be going there and i keep calling places out of town and they dont want to give me estimates.. i did finally get one and they said about 60 too 100 to have everything welded up

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
That's typical for a cut and paste weld job. Not bad at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts